Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"Find Eddie 7 times"

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

John Little
Brazil

"Find Eddie 7 times"

Post by John Little »

The "find someone a number of times" quest is quite common but I can't see a pattern or mechanism that lets you achieve the quest. It seems totally random.

Today was "find Eddie” and the only time I was aware of "finding Eddie " was the "Doctor Eddie " story. But even though that clearly featured Eddie himself, it didn't count towards the quest. However, a heart practice without a mention of Eddie gave me two hits.

Is there a plan or is it just random?

John661162

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Re: "Find Eddie 7 times"

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Same for me, it is as if they wanted us to do a lot of lessons or give the daily quest only to the most dedicated users.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Today it has been Lin who was to be found 7 times within lessons (apparently stories don't count).
The first rounds of any unit contain many questions where hardly any of the cartoon characters show up (a lot of multiple choice vocab matching). You have the best chance with the rounds towards the end of any unit. But when you need Lin, Zari and Lilly will probably be all over the place. Tedious for anyone above the age of 6, Duo for kindergarten.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I ignore these. If I find them I find them, but there's no way I can actually achieve this goal unless DL shows me the character in question, which I have no control over.

Mackination
United States of America

Post by Mackination »

If a daily challenge makes the exercises seem less boring, great. If it just makes them tedious, ignore it.

I think the "find Junior seven times" challenge falls into the second category.

The "do x perfect lessons" challenges probably fall into the second category, too. Mistakes are natural in language learning.

Doing extra lessons or running every sentence through a translation site, just to try to beat a daily challenge, seems like a poor use of time and counterproductive to learning.

N 🇺🇸 ADV🇪🇸OK🇳🇱DABBLING🇮🇱🇩🇪

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Mackination wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:28 am

If a daily challenge makes the exercises seem less boring, great. If it just makes them tedious, ignore it.

I think the "find Junior seven times" challenge falls into the second category.....

My problem is that I have had a perfect monthly challenge record since I started. The thought of failing to keep my badge collection intact is almost a phobia!

John661162

Mackination
United States of America

Post by Mackination »

John Little wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:57 am

My problem is that I have had a perfect monthly challenge record since I started. The thought of failing to keep my badge collection intact is almost a phobia!

I understand. I have a four-digit streak going and often wonder, "Why do I fret about this?"

N 🇺🇸 ADV🇪🇸OK🇳🇱DABBLING🇮🇱🇩🇪

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

I have three web browsers on my laptop and they have I think always given a different set of challenges. While they will all have 'Earn 50 XP' or 30 if I haven't been doing so many lessons recently, the others will be different. I have been known to choose the browser where I think the set of challenges easiest to complete! Also spotted that the Android app has a completely different set different again and on iOS, while there are daily challenges and one of the is always 'Earn 1XP', the badge for June is still on XP!

You no longer seem to be able to register more than 3 successful quests a day or score more than 6 lingots from them, you could try finding the set of challenges that appeals most.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I use Duolingo on a tablet but also on my mobile phone --> different challenges

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Yes, I get different challenges depending which browser I am using, too. And I get a new story review of the day for each browser that I check DL on during a given day.

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

Today, I had Oscar, Eddie and Junior racing to 7.

Odd since the 'find character X; is usually less frequent than this. Of the nine daily challenges (across the three browsers) I'm more used to only one of them being this type, if I get it at all. Almost wondering if Duolingo are testing out to see how common their characters are and whether it's a "good" quest to give people. But then again could just chance

And Oscar won very easily, probably helped by him appearing 5 times in the first lesson

Return to “Duolingo”