Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Hindi Course Guide - Section 1 Part 2: Letters and Sounds - Consonants 1

Austin.Vheissu
United States of America

Hindi Course Guide - Section 1 Part 2: Letters and Sounds - Consonants 1

Post by Austin.Vheissu »

Hindi Course Guide

Section 1 Part 2.1: Consonants 1

Notes:

• The same as with the vowels, in the current Duolingo course, consonants are learned in lessons “Pair letters with sounds” found in units 1 and 2.

• We saw that vowels that follow consonants in a syllable will be written as an attached form, which means in reading Devanagari writing you will see many different consonant+vowel combined characters, but don’t worry, the “core” consonant letter stays the same, and all that changes is the attached vowel form is added to it. In this post I will write the “core consonant” (which if read alone would imply an inherent vowel)

• And as I mentioned last time, a future guide will go over some of the more particular details, modifications, and exceptions to the fundamentals in this guide, so if you're reading Hindi somewhere else and see something unexpected, just know it'll probably be discussed later.

Consonants:

VoicelessVoiceless aspiratedVoicedVoiced aspiratedNasal
Velar consonants
Palatal consonants
Labial consonants
Dental/Alveolar consonants
Retroflex consonants

Flaps and Trillsड़ढ़
Fricativesफ़ख़ज़ग़
Otherक़

In this post I will cover the velar, palatal, and labial consonants.

• As we shall see for these and several other of the sets of Hindi consonants, there is a set of 5 types of consonants in each category: voiceless unaspirated, voiceless aspirated, voiced unaspirated, voiced aspirated, and nasal.

• A consonant is voiced if your vocal chords vibrate to make noise while you say the letter. For example the English "s" is the unvoiced version of the sound, whereas "z" is the voiced version of the same sound; similarly, the English "f" is the unvoiced version of the sound, whereas "v" is the voiced version of the same sound.

• Aspiration has to do with the amount of air released when a consonant is said, there is always some amount of air required to make the sound, but Hindi distinguishes between "unaspirated" with a minimal puff of air, and "aspirated" with a larger puff of air. It is hard for me as a native English speaker to hear the difference unless I am paying close attention, but books say that in English the "k" of "kit" is aspirated, whereas the "k" of "skit" is unaspirated (or at least less aspirated than in "kit"). In Hindi these differences in aspiration make a big difference, so it is worth training your ear to hear the difference.

Velar consonants

• Velar consonants are formed by the tongue touching the soft palate in the back of the roof of the mouth.

is not used in Hindi (from what I can tell only in very rare Sanskrit loan words). So I'm not going to discuss it.

Palatal consonants

• Palatal consonants are formed when the tongue is touching the hard palate on the roof of the mouth.

is also not used in Hindi aside from very rare Sanskrit loan words, so I'm not going to discuss it.

Labial consonants

• Labial consonants are formed by using the lips to change the airflow pattern.

References:

• Duolingo course Tips and Notes
    On my version of the app and browser versions these are no longer available (instead they just show some example sentences with no explanation). However, they are still available on DuoMe (they’re not added in the main menu bar “Tips and Notes” but you can access them by clicking on “Hindi” in your profile, for example, for me this directs me to https://duome.eu/Austin.Vheissu/en/hi and below my profile information is a tab for “Tips and Notes”).

• Wikipedia pages for Hindustani grammar, and Devanagari

• Textbooks:

• Snell, R. Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script. Hodder Headline. 2003.

• Snell, R. Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi. Hodder Headline. 2003.

• Snell, R., Weightman, S. Teach Yourself Hindi. Hodder Headline, 2003.

• Bhardwaj, M., Wells, G. Hindi Urdu Bol Chaal. BBC Books, 1989.

• Bhatia, T.K., Colloquial Hindi. Routledge. 2002.

• McGregor, R.S. Outline of Hindi Grammar. Oxford University Press, 1972.

• Agnihotri, R.K. Hindi An Essential Grammar. Routledge, 2007.

• Koul, O.M. Modern Hindi Grammar. Dunwoody Press, 2008.

Return to “Hindi”