Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

“Nagyon szeretem a palacsintát”.

junoba
Canada

“Nagyon szeretem a palacsintát”.

Post by junoba »

This is translated as “I like pancakes a lot” but “palacsinta” is not a “pancake”!

Here in my part of Canada, would always use the French term “crepe” to describe a thin, flat fried batter item like a palacsinta, that you can roll or fold over.

For me, a pancake is a thick fried batter item, containing baking powder and baking soda, which make the batter rise. And it’s is usually quite small, no more than 10 cm across. And it’s never rolled or folded — it’s too thick!

This is translated wrong throughout Duolingo and the above is but one example! I know this is a common mistranslation that I’ve seen many times in Hungarian-English textbooks, etc…and it’s always bugged me! I’m of Hungarian origin and we commonly had palacsinta at home. We called it palacsinta, but if we were describing it to English-speaking friends, we would have called it a crepe (pronounced with an English accent).

For consideration!

Return to “Sentence discussions”