Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Warning about inconsistencies tree, old app, lost progress when the course and path changes too much

The Duome Team uses this forum to announce new features, new forums or forum structure changes, developments going on, and other matters you should be aware of.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Warning about inconsistencies tree, old app, lost progress when the course and path changes too much

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hello all,

I'm posting this to this selected forum so more registered users can read (or translate) it than those with only a good command in the English language in the "I speak English" forum category and who may not read into that sub forum regularly.

I came across this post on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/comme ... ersion_of/

A user explains in this interesting post what can potentially happen to your tree progress on the old app version if a course gets a major update while it was made for the path and how that update might negatively reset your tree progress to a specific point if they don't match.

In a post it was mentioned for the Japanese course and latest (Non-Kanji) changes and therefore referenced.

The Portuguese from English course is currently safe so I'm heavily using the old grammar and verb tense heavy 91 skill tree designed by former volunteer contributors.

Another course is the French from German course with 129 skills.
Similar classic volunteer structure.
Layout might have something in common with French tree3 from the former volunteer EN->FR team.

Both contain dedicated verb tense skills so it's a pleasure to be able to jump to the bottom in my PT course (last 1/3, starting at the second half) and just to focus on leveling up more advanced past verb tenses, (Future/Conditional) Perfect, 4 Subjunctive skills, etc.

I might have luck too with the PT->FR course.

Not every Duolingo course changes a lot or gets restructured heavily from the bottom up.
So if you want to stick to the old tree and an older Android app version make sure that you don't sign up for a course which is well-known for multiple past changes and where future changes are quite soon expected.

Hope this helps.

Best regards from Germany

Thomas H.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sat May 27, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Warning about inconsistencies tree, old app, lost progress when the course and path changes too much

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@duome
Reddit integration is suddenly broken on Firefox Nightly (Android) and I could only see a white preview panel when you just paste the Url.

Had to use the

Code: Select all

[url][/url]

tags and paste the Url in plain text without the Reddit preview post panel.

Edit: You're right. It's mainly related to the Firefox Nightly browser (the font size works better there in the Accessibility settings than Chrome Dev mobile). Can't remember about FF Nightly (desktop) on Windows.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

duome

Re: Warning about inconsistencies tree, old app, lost progress when the course and path changes too much

Post by duome »

Reddit should be handled by the standard phpbb module/extension, we didn't alter any settings so it's probably somethin on reddit side..

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:10 am

Hello all,
I'm posting this to this selected forum so more registered users can read (or translate) it than those with only a good command in the English language in the "I speak English" forum category and who may not read into that sub forum regularly.

I came across this post on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/comme ... ersion_of/

This is exactly what happened to me (I wrote about it here).

I think the best fix for that is to go through a few checkpoints on the snake once in a while (keep going as long as you see familiar content, and after each snake checkpoint check for changes on skill colors on the tree). I wrote in the linked post that I was not going to re-golden the lost skills on the tree, but that's what I'm doing now, bringing them back to gold. :lol: Doing a few checkpoints on the snake moved the tree skills that I had already finished back to level 3, and so now it's just a question of bringing them up to level 5 again.

I keep my fingers crossed that if this happens again, the Green Chicken will take under account my progress on the snake and won't take away my skills from the tree.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

alek1339

Post by alek1339 »

This happened to me about a week ago. I was completed the German course from English and I already worked on diamands but since the last update I lost around 35 units from 131.

BouterBrantley
Spain

Post by BouterBrantley »

When do skills and lessons populate? I have 180000 xp and an almost half way through the Spanish course, over 2000 words, and it only shows my xp.

Return to “Announcements by Duome”