Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

‘The more languages we have, the better we can understand the world’. (article)

IceVajal
Germany

‘The more languages we have, the better we can understand the world’. (article)

Post by IceVajal »

Interesting article about Aleut language and reviving languages in general.

Meduza: ‘The more languages we have, the better we can understand the world’.
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/10/25 ... -the-world

P.S.: If there is a more suitable (sub-)forum, please move it!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Deleted User 5705

Re: ‘The more languages we have, the better we can understand the world’. (article)

Post by Deleted User 5705 »

IceVajal wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:54 am

)

Last edited by Deleted User 5705 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmads
Mexico

Re: ‘The more languages we have, the better we can understand the world’. (article)

Post by gmads »

IceVajal wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:54 am

The trend, however, is for languages to disappear. Some say that every forty days one language disappears, while others say that they are disappearing at a rate of one every two weeks. From the near seven thousand that currently exist, half are endangered. Long-term forecasts vary wildly, from the most conservative that indicate that a fifth of them will have gone extinct by the end of the century, to the most radical that say that ninety percent will no longer exist by 2100.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍinteresting

Last edited by gmads on Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

gmads wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:31 am

The trend, however, is for languages to disappear.

Not only that, the remaining languages will become simpler, and will continue their current assimilation of English —especially the most spoken ones—, which in turn will continue its assimilation of Spanish. Gravity also works on abstract levels: the closer things start to get, the faster they will start merging.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

The death of languages, like that of any living being, is inevitable. Some have been well documented for study. Others, unfortunately, will vanish amidst the mists of time.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

"the more languages I know, the better and more deeply I understand the world, the more meaningful my life is."
——said by myself

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇻🇳🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Or, alternatively, the less languages there are, the better we can understand each other......just saying...

:)

John661162

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

John Little wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 am

Or, alternatively, the less languages there are, the better we can understand each other......just saying...

:)

Doktoro Zamenhof gave you a thumb-up.

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇻🇳🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

ararat-tempest wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:57 am

"the more languages I know, the better and more deeply I understand the world, the more meaningful my life is."
——said by myself

John Little wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 am

And you are both right.

Language extinction is a natural process that has been happening ever since the first word came out of the lips of a human being. It's true that globalization has sped things up, but it's also true that now there's more awareness than ever about minority languages.

As I said, I believe a language never truly disappears if it's is well documented. As a student of ancient languages myself, I can tell you that they are far from "dead". Whenever I read something in Latin or Ancient Greek for instance, I'm transported to another time and place, where I can almost hear the voices of those who spoke them long ago. They are like whispers from the past, telling us stories of love, loss, war, and peace.

So yes, languages are useful tools for modern communication. I mean, if I hadn't learned English, this conversation would never have taken place. But languages are much more than just tools. They are bridges stretched across time, connecting us to the past, present, and future. They are rivers of knowledge that flow through the centuries, nourishing our understanding of ourselves and the world we live in.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”