Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

My native language is English but Forum is only showing me Italian

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

Deleted User 4833

Re: My native language is English but Forum is only showing me Italian

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

gmads wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:32 pm
JudieLC wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:13 pm
gmads wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:40 pm

Who could that user be? 🤔 😂

For the record, the bot-generated sentences created when you use the plug-in while doing lessons on the web don't bother me personally. And I think they do have a purpose person, as they can be used to generate discussion about a particular sentence, as has happened many times.

Yes, there is always someone behind the thread being created in here, that is why I rather call it a script than a bot.

That was supposed to be purpose, not person. :D

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:24 am

@Corinnebelle

Q: Is the Discuss button permanently gone on the Duolingo website? A/B test? All sentences? Only a few?

I still see it on the Android app V5.52.5 (old tree design) and SD open in my Portuguese course.
Have later app moat up-to-date versions for the path/snake removed it too??

I heard there are new issues accessing discussions in read-only mode?
Did staff take it away that Discuss button? Can anyone confirm?
Was something about it posted on Reddit maybe?

The discuss button has not existed sometimes. You can see this sometimes when you get a sentence made with the extension that doesn't show a link to the discuss page. I even saw a sentence with neither button showing. I am not sure how common that is. Lately I have been able to access discuss on most sentences, but it was not showing for all sentences awhile ago. I don't know if Duolingo made some new sentences which were extremely easy that don't have a discuss? Seems most sentences do have a discuss in some forms, but seeing as Duolingo doesn't combine discuss for the same sentences in different modes, you end up with several. Now some of those have been missing.

I don't know about read-only. Haven't looked at Reddit.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

I've seen sentences without discuss buttons. I thought maybe the sentences were newer ones created after DL locked the forums.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

JudieLC wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 pm

I've seen sentences without discuss buttons. I thought maybe the sentences were newer ones created after DL locked the forums.

I've been wondering that. However the Hebrew ones are in the same voice as the old creators. Question is, did they hire them to make more sentences, chop up sentences or just create different exercises for existing sentences?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Rejoice! 🙌
Get out the champagne! 🍾
You may now celebrate! 🥳
Your nightmare has just come to an end! 😊

finished-the-last-unit.jpg
finished-the-last-unit.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 924 times

finished-the-last-unit-2.jpg
finished-the-last-unit-2.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 924 times

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

gmads wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:28 am

Rejoice! 🙌

Great Job! Is there hope that the "new post" list will get shorter now? :lol:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Bravissimo @gmads! What's your next goal?

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Congratulations! @gmads You succeeded! Great job! :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:14 am

Rejoice! 🙌

Great Job! Is there hope that the "new post" list will get shorter now? :lol:

From my part, for the time being… :D yes ;)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:27 am

Bravissimo @gmads! What's your next goal?

Grazie mille! Finishing the Portuguese course :D and keeping up the baby steps at the Russian and Arabic ones :o

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:09 pm

Thanks! And well, for anyone interested in learning Italian, here are now not only most of the sentences with their links to DLSD threads (thanks to @Dana_Dany Danuta for her help locating them and including them in the DMSD threads), but also many of them with additional useful information.

It may have been inconvenient, yes, but I really think it was worth it. If only the same was done for the most studied languages (e.g. French, German), what a great reference and help would that be for future students. Of course, this would have to be done in an orderly fashion by someone who has already finished the whole course —and that has put in some time and effort to understand the complex grammatical aspects to some useful level, because the idea is not just to blindly copy the whole set of sentences in here, but to also take the time to explain those that may be the most difficult—, and who is willing to now complete it to Legendary level straight away, in the shortest time possible. Having the help of a native speaker in the target language, and knowledgeable in the source language, would also be great during this process!

And lastly, yes, it looks like the software needs some tweaking to make the threads better organized and the search option a lot more useful.

Last edited by gmads on Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Rejoice!

It is quite likely that you own the 1200th legendary trophy in Italian. By the way until recently Duome would show one's name and the level reached in the activity log for a language. Nowadays it shows only completing a course to level 1 and all higher achievements get ignored. It is a pity. There is a huge difference between L1 and L6.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:22 pm

It is quite likely that you own the 1200th legendary trophy in Italian.

That would be great! :)
Anyway, I don't think I am listed anywhere because I don't have a hundred+ streak :lol:

I just checked the https://duome.eu/it page, and the statistics section says:

Statistics
160188 Students
180650 Trees
2326 L4 Trees ················· 1.29%
10962 L5 Trees ················· 6.07%
1801 Legendary Trees ····· 1.00%

37721 Golden Owls ······ 20.88%
1553 Golden Trees ·········· 0.86%

44830 @ L25 ··············· 24.82%

Maybe I am that "one" in the "1801 Legendary Trees?"

PtolemysXX wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:22 pm

By the way until recently Duome would show one's name and the level reached in the activity log for a language. Nowadays it shows only completing a course to level 1 and all higher achievements get ignored. It is a pity. There is a huge difference between L1 and L6.

Oh Yes! Quite a difference!

Not only the time that must be invested, but putting up with having to go through the whole set of basic phrases over and over again, and worse still, facing all the mistakes, limitations and inconsistencies in the sentences… :x

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Ok. I think I am going to give up on statistics because this is what I see:

_20230410_225558.png
_20230410_225558.png (69.19 KiB) Viewed 816 times

Maybe I am using wrong url:(https://duome.eu/en/it).

Perhaps my url lists only english->Italian trophies?

Regarding the effort and the "learning profit/time investment" ratio - my assessment is that up to the old L5 it is fairly good and speaks for the "duolingo method"; from L5 to L6 decreases rapidly, in case of the Italian course (all other curricula I follow(ed) are significantly better) it comes close to "waste of time".

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Oh, you are right! I opened only the IT page, not the eng-ita one!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

gmads wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:17 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:09 pm

Thanks! And well, for anyone interested in learning Italian, here are now not only most of the sentences with their links to DLSD threads (thanks to @Dana_Dany Danuta for her help locating them and including them in the DMSD threads), but also many of them with additional useful information.

It may have been inconvenient, yes, but I really think it was worth it. If only the same was done for the most studied languages (e.g. French, German), what a great reference and help would that be for future students. Of course, this would have to be done in an orderly fashion by someone who has already finished the whole course —and that has put in some time and effort to understand the complex grammatical aspects to some useful level, because the idea is not just to blindly copy the whole set of sentences in here, but to also take the time to explain those that may be the most difficult—, and who is willing to now complete it to Legendary level straight away, in the shortest time possible. Having the help of a native speaker in the target language, and knowledgeable in the source language, would also be great during this process!

And lastly, yes, it looks like the software needs some tweaking to make the threads better organized and the search option a lot more useful.

Sometimes I'm afraid Duolingo's SDs will be gone so having these may be invaluable.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:02 pm
gmads wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:17 pm

for anyone interested in learning Italian, here are now not only most of the sentences with their links to DLSD threads (thanks to @Dana_Dany Danuta for her help locating them and including them in the DMSD threads), but also many of them with additional useful information.

Sometimes I'm afraid Duolingo's SDs will be gone so having these may be invaluable.

Given their eradication philosophy, where anything that could actually enhance someone's learning is removed and taken away, yes, that would seem very likely.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Ahí, pa' que no digan (there, so no one complains)   😛

shorter.jpg
shorter.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 692 times

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:20 am

Has staff removed links to the discussion button for SDs on the web portal for some users / is doing A/B testing?
Had read something like this on Reddit several weeks or months ago but I didn't fully understand the matter.

For sure they (staff) want to push a few users now into the Duolingo Max (French Spanish courses, A/B testing on IOS) subscription.

The button doesn't always work anyway; sometimes you actually needed to try 2-4 times once the question shows up again from the queue.
Haven't tried for a longer time...

Right now I see again a flood of created Portuguese (PT) sentences by the sentence bot in the unanswered forum, but more like early beginner sentences which makes me wonder why the normal SD button from Duolingo is not being used and why that Duome extensions keeps flooding the Duome forum streams (ActiveTopics) with very BASIC sentences nobody will actually care for and which sentence doesn't contain a real question by the learner.

Hint: If the Discuss button from Duolingo doesn't work (Android app V5.52.5 always opens SDs for the old tree!):

Sometimes it helps to clear Duolingo cookies in the browser to get the Discuss button working again!

Of course you need to relogin as the login / jsession_id will be gone too.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

For Portuguese it makes more sense to use the old tree.

The volunteer contributor course was specifically designed for it with all the grammar stuff.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm

Another example:

After one year on Busuu I finally understand French just a little bit (started from scratch).

But several FR posts from daKanga quickly fill up the Active posts stream.
She is very active and eager and even created posts for each single verb. The tables look good and even have audio.

But it's hard that way to keep the " active topics" stream reduced a bit more and not overfilling it with a lot of new threads or updated posts.
Maybe 1-2 more sub forums can help for special listings.

But the real killer is the sentence bot user and that forum is not being excluded from the main streams.

Not very useful what I'm reading about in the Portuguese SD threads on here...very difficult sentences are not discussed.

Thank you for taking the time to explain in great detail something that would have taken me hours of wading through treacle like irrelevant info and advertising online and I wish you peace, calm and strength for your personal life....🙂🌞

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”