Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Translator Jumble

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Translator Jumble

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:01 pm
Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:06 pm

Hi, @MustafaOuz526752!

Yes, I send my translation ( from English into Polish ) to the Stasi. 🙂

Definition I think of when I read Stasi. Does this mean something else in your language? I think you replied to @MoniqueMaRie about it. Could we have an English translation?

@Dana_Dany Danuta explained that "Stasi" is just the short and nice genitive and dative form of Stasia.

I wouldn't have stumbled across it if Dany hadn't written "the Stasi" instead of only "Stasi" ("Die StaSi" = yours and @IceVajal 's links.)

My association was triggered by the "the" in front of Stasi. That's probably the difficulties between a language (Polish) without any articles at all and English (as well as German) with articles, which are usually missing before proper names.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@MoniqueMaRie Thanks for explaining! Things mean different things in different languages.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Ok, I've corrected it and sorry for the confusion. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I got it right, but due to the postings I thought I post something to give an hint, why it might be misunderstood.

Sometimes it's difficult to get it right, I remember that about 20 years ago a friend from Brazil wrote in a messager "Hi Claus!". I was puzzled, coz my brothers name is Claus and wondered about it. Turned out that they often shorten names and unlike Germans who add an "i" at the end, they add an "s". At least that's what he told me after apologizing.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:59 pm

In Germany it would be quite unfriendly to call someone "the StaSi".

:lol: As @Dana_Dany Danuta explained, it's declination. I have a very old American friend who actually calls me Stasi (he pronounces it very close to the East German secret police pronunciation). I don't think he knows what it means, and he's too old for me to try to correct him. I've been called so many things - Stacy (English vowel prononciation), Staysha (like "station" without the final "n"), Estasya, even Anastasia (the last two with international/non-English vowel pronunciation). As long as it sounds close enough, I respond. :D

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

IceVajal wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:26 pm

In Germany StaSi is a short form for Staatssicherheit (state security). But in the Eastern Democratic Republic it was mainly about spying on their own folks - and people from Western Germany. They recruited citizens to spy upon each other. People ended up in jail without any wrong doing, just because someone blamed them of whatever.
Sorry, this is a very short answer, but I'm too tired for a well phrased and thorough explanation.

Please check the link!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi

Yes, creepy, the Communist Stasi. They take you away in the middle of the night and you disappear!

@Stasia What does Stasia mean? Or is it just one of those names that has a lot of forms? @Dana_Dany Danuta We know who you mean now! :D

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

@Corinnebelle, to some extent it's still existing in Russia these days. But we better not get into politics.

Personally I read the post right, coz it's one of the things that's still puzzling me that in Russian names are changing and so I just guessed it's the same in Polish.

Actually it's one of the things about this forum I like, you always learn new things. And everyone is nice. No harsh words, no blaming, just friendly people!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@IceVajal I've read some terrible stories about the Stasi's persecution of Christians. But the name will have a new meaning for me now with @Stasia being a great person on here!

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:18 pm

@Stasia What does Stasia mean? Or is it just one of those names that has a lot of forms?

As @Dana_Dany Danuta mentioned, it is diminutive from Stanisława. Together with it's male version Stanisław, it's an ancient Slavic name, sława/slava = "glory, fame," stani- from the verb "to become." "Will become famous," that's the etymology I usually heard. (Did not happen). :lol:

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Stasia wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:14 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:18 pm

@Stasia What does Stasia mean? Or is it just one of those names that has a lot of forms?

As @Dana_Dany Danuta mentioned, it is diminutive from Stanisława. Together with it's male version Stanisław, it's an ancient Slavic name, sława/slava = "glory, fame," stani- from the verb "to become." "Will become famous," that's the etymology I usually heard. (Did not happen). :lol:

Yet

(Besides here in the forum)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I finally received my translation a few days ago. We seem to have shortened things at some point compared to what was originally planned (viewtopic.php?p=42720-translator-jumble#p42720), so: Am I still the last one and am I still supposed to translate to English?

Last edited by Cifi on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Cifi wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:58 am

I finally received my translation a few days ago. We seem to have shortened things at some point compared to what was originally planned (viewtopic.php?p=42720-translator-jumble#p42720), so: Am I still the last one and am I supposed to translate to English?

Yes, and yes :)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Well I did the translation (though I am not completely satisfied with it), but what's up next? Am I in charge of creating a page where everyone pastes their texts?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

MustafaOuz526752

Cifi wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:37 pm

Well I did the translation (though I am not completely satisfied with it), but what's up next?

Whenever you feel good with your translation, send it to MoniqueMaRie.

Am I in charge of creating a page where everyone pastes their texts?

No, but you're welcome to do so ;)

I think we should start entering the sentences that we've received on the Board page.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:36 pm

Well I did the translation (though I am not completely satisfied with it), but what's up next?

Whenever you feel good with your translation, send it to MoniqueMaRie.

Am I in charge of creating a page where everyone pastes their texts?

No, but you're welcome to do so ;)

I think we should start entering the sentences that we've received on the Board page.

Is this the one? https://board.net/p/translator-jumble

I only see the previous sentence there, not the new one...?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@gmads Looks like the game is continuing...

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:18 pm

While waiting for others to share their opinions, I'd like to suggest my idea: we remove @Duome and @Izabela, swap @Stasia and @vero-bis's places and ask @Dana_Dany Danuta to translate one more time, into Polish

MoniqueMarie: into Chinese
McGonnagle: into English
Dana_Dany Danuta: into Polish
Stasia: into Spanish
gmads: into Italian
Meli578588: into French
MustafaOuz526752: into English
vero-bis: into Spanish
Cifi: into English

As I received the translation made by @Cifi we are obviously through with the text.

Surely my first draft was a German one:
Zuhause
Ich komme früh nach Hause und gehe zu unserem üblichen Platz am Strand.
Du bist da, aber du wartest nicht auf mich, du bist mit jemand anderem zusammen. Während ich jetzt hier sitze und den Ozean höre, fühle und rieche wie nie zuvor, werde ich an die Worte eines Liedes erinnert: "home is where the heart lies but if the heart lies where is home" (Zuhause ist, wo das Herz liegt, aber wenn das Herz lügt: wo ist Zuhause)

I will put my English version now into the page https://board.net/p/translator-jumble

The idea I wanted to implement:
I had noticed in an earlier discussion about a book that an Italian had obviously used a translation tool to participate in the discussion and this had created confusion about "hearing" and "feeling".
The Italian word "sentire" can have the meanings hear, feel and smell.

So I constructed a text with hear, feel and smell in a single sentence ("den Ozean höre, fühle und rieche"/"hear, feel and smell the ocean"). For the difficulties with Italian wanted it to be translated into Italian as early and as often as possible.

The ending is a song lyric ""home is where the heart lies but if the heart lies where is home".
This pun is not immediately understandable, so I liked it when I first heard it.

After making sure that using translation tools in the languages I understand best besides German and English, namely French and Italian, actually resulted in a lot of nonsense, I was very pleased with myself until I decided to do a Chinese translation first.

Here, too, the translation tools delivered only nonsense in more than one point. So it took me a while - and exchanges with a Chinese woman - until I had a Chinese version that I was satisfied with (given my modest knowledge of Chinese).

Last edited by MoniqueMaRie on Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

@McGonnagle You wrote that my text didn't sound standard Chinese - that may be. Probably it's some kind of europeanised Chinese.

Here is the translation of the lyrics from the last line, which my Chinese friend made: 心在的地方,就是家的所在处。
但如果心说谎了,那么家在哪里呢?

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

@MoniqueMaRie ,

I forgot how this works. Do I post mine in French or Italian ?

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Meli578588 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:11 am

@MoniqueMaRie ,

I forgot how this works. Do I post mine in French or Italian ?

you put in the text you received

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:06 am

@McGonnagle You wrote that my text didn't sound standard Chinese - that may be. Probably it's some kind of europeanised Chinese.

Here is the translation of the lyrics from the last line, which my Chinese friend made: 心在的地方,就是家的所在处。
但如果心说谎了,那么家在哪里呢?

... oh obviously it's the part I used ...

I found it - it's the part before the lyrics where I didn't change my first version: 我现在坐在这里用以前从未有过的方式聆听着 、感受着和闻到海洋的气味时,我想起了一首歌的歌词

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

There is no doubt that sometimes one reads what one wants to read. The text I received clearly says, "donde está el corazón", but I misread it and turned it into a question: "dónde estás corazón?" 😄

Sorry!

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

MustafaOuz526752

Whoa, so much has changed from the original sentence to the eighth translation. I can't wait for the final sentence to see if it changed even further and analyze all the differences.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:11 am

Whoa, so much has changed from the original sentence to the eighth translation. I can't wait for the final sentence to see if it changed even further and analyze all the differences.

Regarding the original text, the most important change in the one I received was the placement of the comma:

← […] y oliendo el océano, (✗) como nunca antes […]
→ […] y oliendo el océano como nunca antes, (✓) […]

At the same time, the most serious one in the one I sent was having changed the sense of the final sentence, as I previously mentioned. This is what I should have sent:

A casa

Sono ritornato presto a casa e me ne sono andato in spiaggia, alla quale andavamo prima. Tu ci sei, ma non mi aspetti, sei con un altro. Essendo seduto qui, ascoltando, sentendo e annusando l'oceano, vengono a me come prima mai le parole della canzone: "dov'è il cuore, c'è la casa, ma se il cuore mente, allora, dov'è la casa?".

I am now wondering if writing, "dov'è il cuore, la casa è" (instead of "la casa c'è"), would be a better option.

Are there any other mistakes or parts that I could have written in a better or more natural sounding way?

One final comment. I thought about writing, "Seduto qui", but I decided to add the initial "Essendo" to keep the feeling of the ongoing events: ascoltando, sentendo e annusando.

Antinomy - Imagination

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

gmads wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm
MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:11 am

Regarding the original text, the most important change in the one I received was the placement of the comma:

← […] y oliendo el océano, (✗) como nunca antes […]
→ […] y oliendo el océano como nunca antes, (✓) […]

Yes, that was me :D I must have imagined the comma was there. :lol: It does change the meaning, from sensing the ocean like never before, to remembering the song like never before. For some reason, the original meaning didn't even occur to me.

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

但如果心说谎了,那么家在哪里呢?

No problem! I think that there are times when translation work is affected by being too conscious of the original text. (But it wasn't too hard for me to imagine the original English text.) ;)
Speaking of this sentence "Home is where the heart lies but if the heart lies: Where is home?” (Original text by MoniqueMaRie), I don't think it's so easy to translate this part --but if the heart lies-- into Chinese.

I might translate this part like this:
但如果对着自己的心说谎 (but if you lie to your heart) or 但若自己与自己作对 (but if go against yourself) .   
但如果欺骗了自己的心 (but if you cheat your heart), etc.

Then, the Chinese translation of the whole sentence would have been like this: “家是心之所在、但若对着自己的心说谎、那家又在哪里?”(Home is where the heart is, but where is home if you lie to your heart?) 

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Stasia wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:05 am
gmads wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm

Yes, that was me :D I must have imagined the comma was there. :lol: It does change the meaning, from sensing the ocean like never before, to remembering the song like never before. For some reason, the original meaning didn't even occur to me.

Oh, yes. it does change it! :) But well, it wasn't that bad, at least there was still something that was being remembered like never before! :D My change was worse :P

I guess we must have been a bit distracted when doing the translation ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

I found it - it's the part before the lyrics where I didn't change my first version: 我现在坐在这里用以前从未有过的方式聆听着 、感受着和闻到海洋的气味时,我想起了一首歌的歌词

Yes! 我想起了一首歌的歌词 sounds correct to me, too!

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

McGonnagle wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:23 am

I don't think it's so easy to translate this part --but if the heart lies-- into Chinese.

Then, the Chinese translation of the whole sentence would have been like this: “家是心之所在、但若对着自己的心说谎、那家又在哪里?”(Home is where the heart is, but where is home if you lie to your heart?) 

But with your changes it wouldn't be any longer the heart that is lying to you but you would be lying to your heart

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:59 am
McGonnagle wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:23 am

I don't think it's so easy to translate this part --but if the heart lies-- into Chinese.

But with your changes it wouldn't be any longer the heart that is lying to you but you would be lying to your heart

Ah.. Okay, sorry, then “家是心之所在、但若心在说谎、那家又在哪里?

Return to “Random Thoughts”