Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[QANDA] Motion vs position - Upp-Uppe / Ut-Ute / In-I

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[QANDA] Motion vs position - Upp-Uppe / Ut-Ute / In-I

Post by Basler Biker »

Upp / Uppe and Ut / Ute and I/ In

GMJJmjiD answered on Duolingo (exact quote)
...seriously no find? The basic concept is not that complicated but comes quite late in the Duolingo Swedish course. You can find the tips with the fifth skill after checkpoint 4 in the tree, named Directions. But I guess you haven't been there yet, so I'd suggest to try it here with a < Ctrl+f >-search for Directions and positions:
https://duome.eu/tips/en/sv

Basically it is all about Position/Location (ute, uppe) and Direction/Motion (ut, upp).

Jag är inne/ute/nere/hemma. - I am inside/outside/downstairs/at home. (That's where I am actually, my location/position.)

Jag kommer in/ut/ned/hem. - I am coming in/out/down/home. (That's where I am actually moving to, my direction.)

There is a nice memory tip in the Norwegian course, which also helps in Swedish the same way (but please be aware that this is not a general rule, so not valid for all possible terms, though for kind a lot of them): Think of the ending -e as your wallet/phone/glasses/camera that you forgot on top of your car: It remains lying there as long as your car stays in its position, but falls off as soon as you car's getting in motion.

Regards / Hälsningar

Jag går in i huset. - "I am entering the house." (movement into)
Jag bor i huset - "I live in the house (position)

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Frågor och svar”