Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Short Stories Competition!

AlexanderN844702
Canada

Re: Short Stories Competition!

Post by AlexanderN844702 »

Good job! I love that you mixed languaged together, that's something I would have never thought of!
You just made 2 mistakes in the Czech part
"It was a town in Northern Belgium, therefore she had to speak Dutch to the dogs there"
became
" It was a town in northern Belgium, because she had to speak Dutch to the dogs."

and
"She looks for the dumplings but cannot find them anywhere. Suddenly she understood: the dogs ate the dumplings. “I am hungry and it is a long travel” She went to a restaurant to have a bite."
became
"Where are the dumplings? She looks and can't find them anywhere. Suddenly she understood: my dogs ate the dumplings. I'm hungry and the journey is long. She went to the restaurant to eat something."

Pretty minor.
Also, don't worry about getting disqualified! I said to use google translate as little as possible, there was no rule against using it.

And now for the Dutch.
Translated using DeepL, it's read as:
"Good morning ma'am. What would you like to eat?"
"A pancake please."
"I'm sorry madam, but to eat pancakes you have to drive to Holland. Here we have delicious Liege waffles and strawberry beer."
"Excellent, I like waffles. Give me waffles with strawberries and coffee please. A bottle of strawberry beer I will take home."

your English translation was:
"I am sorry ma’am but if you want to eat pancakes you need to go to the Netherlands. We have here tasty Liege waffles and strawberry beer. "
"That’s great. I love waffels. Give me please waffles with strawberries and a coffee. I will take a bottle of strawberry beer home."

Also there's a typo misspelling waffles as waffels, but that's not a big deal.

And now for the French (This post is getting REALLY long)

Your english translation was:
"Hello Miss, do you have anything to declare?"
"But sir, I thought that there were no more borders in Europe."
"You are right, it was just a joke. By the way, do you know the movie “Nothing to declare”? No? If you have time I recommend you to watch it. Good buy now. You may go and do not forget to taste Belgian chocolate, the best in the world."

Translated using DeepL, it's:
"Hello Miss, do you have anything to say?"
"But sir, I thought there were no more borders in Europe."
"You are right, it was just a joke. By the way, do you know the movie Rien a declarer? No? If you have the time, I recommend you see it. Now goodbye - go ahead and don't forget to taste the Belgian chocolate, the best in the world."

There's another typo mispelling Good bye as Good buy, but that's not a big deal. I'm not grading you on english, as long as that's not your target language.

Good job!

• AlexanderN844702 (currently hosting the 2023 Duolympics)
AlexanderN844702
Canada

Good job! I love that you mixed languaged together, that's something I would have never thought of!
You just made 2 mistakes in the Czech part
"It was a town in Northern Belgium, therefore she had to speak Dutch to the dogs there"
became
" It was a town in northern Belgium, because she had to speak Dutch to the dogs."

and
"She looks for the dumplings but cannot find them anywhere. Suddenly she understood: the dogs ate the dumplings. “I am hungry and it is a long travel” She went to a restaurant to have a bite."
became
"Where are the dumplings? She looks and can't find them anywhere. Suddenly she understood: my dogs ate the dumplings. I'm hungry and the journey is long. She went to the restaurant to eat something."

Pretty minor.
Also, don't worry about getting disqualified! I said to use google translate as little as possible, there was no rule against using it.

And now for the Dutch.
Translated using DeepL, it's read as:
"Good morning ma'am. What would you like to eat?"
"A pancake please."
"I'm sorry madam, but to eat pancakes you have to drive to Holland. Here we have delicious Liege waffles and strawberry beer."
"Excellent, I like waffles. Give me waffles with strawberries and coffee please. A bottle of strawberry beer I will take home."

your English translation was:
"I am sorry ma’am but if you want to eat pancakes you need to go to the Netherlands. We have here tasty Liege waffles and strawberry beer. "
"That’s great. I love waffels. Give me please waffles with strawberries and a coffee. I will take a bottle of strawberry beer home."

Also there's a typo misspelling waffles as waffels, but that's not a big deal.

And now for the French (This post is getting REALLY long)

Your english translation was:
"Hello Miss, do you have anything to declare?"
"But sir, I thought that there were no more borders in Europe."
"You are right, it was just a joke. By the way, do you know the movie “Nothing to declare”? No? If you have time I recommend you to watch it. Good buy now. You may go and do not forget to taste Belgian chocolate, the best in the world."

Translated using DeepL, it's:
"Hello Miss, do you have anything to say?"
"But sir, I thought there were no more borders in Europe."
"You are right, it was just a joke. By the way, do you know the movie Rien a declarer? No? If you have the time, I recommend you see it. Now goodbye - go ahead and don't forget to taste the Belgian chocolate, the best in the world."

There's another typo mispelling Good bye as Good buy, but that's not a big deal. I'm not grading you on english, as long as that's not your target language.

Good job!

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Oooo! I don't know french, but could I do a story in Japanese?

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

zerogrqvity wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:57 pm

It's for any language. Mine's in Hebrew.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:42 pm
zerogrqvity wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:57 pm

It's for an language, Mine's in Hebrew.

Difficult languages give you more points I guess...

AlexanderN844702
Canada

Meli578588 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:11 pm

I wrote a small story in French, the other day.

I don’t have to be in the competition , but can post to have fun with it. I can use a very small portion here, to add?

Sure! Anything's legal when the cops aren't around
as long as you don't plagiarize!

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I saw your story for a very brief moment then it was gone. Anyway, the piece that had the chance to see was a very nice read.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Thanks for your efforts @AlexanderN844702. I hope you enjoy your role. when I saw your original "call for stories" I thought: "there is no way I am going to write anything". Then I changed my mind. Writing is a great way of learning.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 am

I saw your story for a very brief moment then it was gone. Anyway, the piece that had the chance to see was a very nice read.

Thank you , very much. :)

I’ll repost that piece.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@PtolemysXX I like the idea of using a picture. I think I will use one in mine too!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Good luck everyone. I thought this was a great, fun idea and got some practice in my target. ( Not in the competition < — leaving that to the real writers .) 🙂

Love the pictures in the stores ! 🙂 Very cool.

AlexanderN844702
Canada

Okay, here are the winners!
9 days late!
Why is it late? Quick answer. I was working on other things, like FINALLY getting No.1 on the Diamond League, and this skipped my mind.
So finally, here are the results!
In 4'th place, we have...
Corinebelle!
(I forgot how hard grading these stories were)
I really liked your use of a poetry type story, but since FurbyZeKat used 3 different languages, I had to give extra points to them. REALLY CLOSE!
In 3'rd place, there is...
FurbyZeKat!
Sometimes, smaller is better! Also, using three different languages boosted your score up. Good job!
In 2'nd place, we have...
Mel578588!
Duo! I like the description you had, and ending on a cliffhanger is really making me wonder what's next!
And in first place, we have
drumroll
PtolemysXX!
I liked your use of different languages inside of the story, it really made it blend nicely together!
Also, remember when I said smaller is better?
Sometimes, rules have exceptions.

Congrats to everyone who joined, and you can all walk away, satisfied and proud of your work!
No lingots to give, but that's probably why the competitions got cancelled on the forums in the first place.
Also, this was really hard to grade, and you all came really close, making for a really hard judgement job for me.

I hope to do this again sometime in the future, since it turned out really well!
Have a good rest of your day!

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Congrats to all participants and many thanks to @AlexanderN844702

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I feel really honored and at the same time ashamed because i picked the easiest languages... Now I feel strong pressure to actually become conversational in the languages of my choice. No more excuses... It was fun to take part in an international competition!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@AlexanderN844702 Thank you for your commendations! Congratulations to all the winners. My story wasn't meant to be poetry. I just wrote it in interlinear fashion because that made it easier to translate. Looking forward to the next round!

Return to “Random Thoughts”