Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

gmads
Mexico

Re: Did Duo just kill off the direct links to the old tree?

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 pm

@gmads I suppose, you have never seen this screen:
Am I right? Normally, it appears when you confirm the start of the next Legendary round.

What can I say? I really don't pay much attention —if any at all— to the flood of screens that the green owl likes to throw at us, so… I may have :D

I guess I certainly must have gotten it because:

gmads wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 pm
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 pm

I think the trick is that when you level up on the website, you're asked to pay lingots up front.

As I was beginning to read your answer I just remembered that one day during my first week doing the legendary level, I was in fact charged with some lingots. What I deduced at that moment was that it had to do with the number of units I had already done: I had done two units and I was starting the third one. Since then, at most I have done two units per day and I haven't been asked to pay any lingots.

In fact, since I wrote that post, I've been meaning to do three units in a row, but since I usually spend a lot of time adding [what I consider to be] useful information to several of the sentence discussion threads… I haven't been able so far :D

So I guess, if it doesn't appear, it's the same as if you started the lesson using the direct URL with similar behavior.

Yes, so far, that seems to be the case for me.

Maybe some old cookies cause it, but more likely you're in the test group I mentioned (and Duo may have already forgotten about it - therefore the strange calculations). I don't want you to delete your cookies because you might lose this your Legendary-lingot-free possibility. But would you test one Legendary lesson in a non-Chromium browser, e.g. Firefox? Or on another computer? Then we would be sure.

I wouldn't lean toward cookies being the reason because I tend to delete everything (cookies, history, cache etc) quite often, but yes, I could try using another browser, as you suggest. I'll try with Brave, which is the second one I usually use.

Just one question. How would you want me to start the unit? Directly from clicking all the icons at the page, or via the direct link from my file?

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Please, start the lesson in Brave normally from the Snake. And watch if the behavior will be the same. Brave is based on the Chromium, but it doesn't matter too much.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:43 pm

Please, start the lesson in Brave normally from the Snake. And watch if the behavior will be the same. Brave is based on the Chromium, but it doesn't matter too much.

Oh! I didn't remember that.
Yes, I don't think that will matter.

Antinomy - Imagination

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

@gmads I suppose, you have never seen this screen:
Am I right? Normally, it appears when you confirm the start of the next Legendary round. So I guess, if it doesn't appear, it's the same as if you started the lesson using the direct URL with similar behavior. Maybe some old cookies cause it, but more likely you're in the test group I mentioned (and Duo may have already forgotten about it - therefore the strange calculations). I don't want you to delete your cookies because you might lose this your Legendary-lingot-free possibility. But would you test one Legendary lesson in a non-Chromium browser, e.g. Firefox? Or on another computer? Then we would be sure.

Yeah, that's exactly the screen I get when I try to launch legendary rounds off the snake.
I'm not sure how much cookies have to do with it, though. I haven't deleted my cookies in forever.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

unitXPlingots
39150095dl:9827, dm:9828

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:45 pm

Yeah, that's exactly the screen I get when I try to launch legendary rounds off the snake.
I'm not sure how much cookies have to do with it, though. I haven't deleted my cookies in forever.

It's the normal behavior, deleting cookies won't affect it. But you can also start the Legendary lessons from the Snake, even if you don't have lingots. Only on the purple screen, you have to right click on the white START button and then select "Open link in a new tab".

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:09 am
JudieLC wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:45 pm

It's the normal behavior, deleting cookies won't affect it. But you can also start the Legendary lessons from the Snake, even if you don't have lingots. Only on the purple screen, you have to right click on the white START button and then select "Open link in a new tab".

I can't test it now cause I have lingots. But I'll try it at some future time to see if it works for me.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

I was about to start legendary for unit 41, from the Brave browser and the Snake page itself, and I just decided to take a look at the code, just to see if I could detect anything particular that could make a difference from starting it via a direct URL.

I left the code from the relevant two sections —the Level Up yellow trophy button (from line 3 onward) and the blue layer (from line 155 onward) that is displayed after clicking the previous button— at the following page:

Those familiar with web coding will immediately see that most of the code has to do with creating and animating the images :roll:

I marked in bold (lines 4, 171, 173, 185, 187) the lines that actually have to do with the process of starting the round.

• line 4 has a button that enables the blue screen
  • lines 171 and 173 are reference texts
  • line 185 is the link that opens the exercise page (/lesson/unit/41/level/11): START
  • line 187 is a button to cancel and remove the blue screen: Maybe later

So… nothing mysterious about the Snake. Of course, as mentioned by @DaliborNovy I may be receiving a different code from that received by others.

Well, this was just to let everyone know about the code I am receiving… and to express that I doubt that anything different will happen by doing it from a different browser (without any previous duolingo cookies, etc) :D

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Thank you, @gmads, but the HTML code is modified by the application in real time. This is controlled by data from the server and some matters also by cookies and other local files. Therefore, the fastest and most reliable test is in another browser. Then we can rest assured that your Legendary-lingot-free possibility cannot be simulated in any way :-)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:22 pm

Thank you, @gmads, but the HTML code is modified by the application in real time. This is controlled by data from the server and some matters also by cookies and other local files. Therefore, the fastest and most reliable test is in another browser. Then we can rest assured that your Legendary-lingot-free possibility cannot be simulated in any way :-)

Yes, of course, the code is created at the server side and sent to the browser. But the code could indicate something about the workings. Wouldn't it be interesting to see if the code you have on your side is the same or different?

Anyway, I have just started the round on the Brave browser.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Well, I just finished unit 41 and everything went as I imagined, that is, nothing changed at all.

Of course, once again I won one super lingot! What can I say? I am truly in an ecstasy of happiness for such an incredible prize! 🙃

finished unitXPlingots

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@gmads OK, case closed :-) . It's a test group and reduction of lingots is probably intentional (to make the competition a little less unfair).
My raw HTML is exactly the same, but as I said, the application manages the behavior. Here are the button elements:

Code: Select all

<a class="_3HhhB _2NolF _275sd _1ZefG Udk8y _332s_ _26QYy" aria-disabled="false" href="/lesson/unit/21/level/11">START</a><button class="_34v50 _275sd _1ZefG _-7Ahb" data-test="quit-button"><span class="_13HXc">Maybe later</span></button>

But when we click the START, the app forces the "Use lingots to start..." screen I mentioned. We can bypass it only by right clicking and "Open link in a new tab". Or using the direct URL, of course. But when we have lingots, the server deducts ten after successfully completing the Legendary round.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:38 am

@gmads OK, case closed :-) . It's a test group […]
My raw HTML is exactly the same, but as I said, the application manages the behavior […]
But when we click the START, the app forces the "Use lingots to start..." screen I mentioned. We can bypass it only by right clicking and "Open link in a new tab". Or using the direct URL, of course.

That is not logical. A link is a link, and unless the parameters of the link were different, it will behave exactly the same, after all, if the server knows that you are in group A and not in group B, it would not matter in any way how you accessed the paged, that is, clicking/right clicking on the page, via an external URL or whatever means one could devise, accessing the URL should have the same end result because, as you said —and I agree— the server knows how it should react to your opening the link ;)

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:38 am

But when we have lingots, the server deducts ten after successfully completing the Legendary round.

So, if you have them the server deducts them after finishing the unit, but if you don't then they ask you to pay them.

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@gmads It works differently. Duolingo is a web application, so there are many scripts that do their job. And their behavior is controlled by data, cookies and other local files. E.g. When we left-click the START button, the script forces the "Use lingots to start..." screen. Not for you - and we have proven it was caused by user data from the server.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:06 pm

@gmads It works differently. Duolingo is a web application, so there are many scripts that do their job. And their behavior is controlled by data, cookies and other local files. E.g. When we left-click the START button, the script forces the "Use lingots to start..." screen. Not for you - and we have proven it was caused by user data from the server.

I am not convinced by the argument. Scripts are client side, not server side. As you may confirm, the anchor (link) tag does not have an onClick attribute (nor do the buttons). The only tag to include it is the first div of the blue screen, and it is an empty attribute: onclick="".

If this behavior were controlled by cookies, then once again, it would not matter how the page was accessed because the user/app state is saved in the cookie.

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

The application communicates with the server, the behavior of the START button is controlled by user data (via the app) and we proved it. Sorry, I'm not going to analyze the application, it's a useless extra activity. By the way, the behavior of the START button is just a "symptom". What matters is that the server deducts ten lingots independently of the application when we use the direct URL (or right-click). Only by finding out that there is a completed Legendary round which has not been paid. Except for your test user group, there the server takes only a part of the newly acquired lingots.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:08 pm

The application communicates with the server, the behavior of the START button is controlled by user data (via the app) and we proved it. Sorry, I'm not going to analyze the application, it's a useless extra activity. By the way, the behavior of the START button is just a "symptom". What matters is that the server deducts ten lingots independently of the application when we use direct URL (or right click). Only by finding out that there is a completed Legendary round which has not been paid. Except for your test user group, there the server takes only a part of the newly acquired lingots.

My point, basically, has to do with the app behaving differently just because one clicked or not a link tag within the app, or how one did it. Something about that doesn't click to me! :D ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

All buttons (and indeed all control elements) have events, and their handlers are triggered based on those events.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:26 pm

All buttons (and indeed all control elements) have events, and their handlers are triggered based on those events.

They need either certain parameters or an onclick event ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

gmads wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:27 pm
DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:26 pm

They need either certain parameters or an onclick event ;)

Yes, that's it. And I didn't write this app. Anyway, it behaves the way it does :-)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Well, it seems that if I got that "pay 10 lingots" screen, it wasn't for having done two units and starting the third one, as I had thought. Right now I have just finished doing two units, I have started the third one, and no, I am not being asked to pay 10 lingots.

Maybe I mistakenly tried to make legendary a unit that I had already made legendary? I'll try this right now… mh, seems not… I just get a button with the message, "Great job! You made this unit Legendary!"

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

I think when you got the "pay" screen, it was just a mess in system settings / inclusion in test groups / data sync.
You can see it when you create a new account (requires another e-mail) and jump to the end of the Snake.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:20 pm

I think when you got the "pay" screen, it was just a mess in system settings / inclusion in test groups / data sync.
You can see it when you create a new account (requires another e-mail) and jump to the end of the Snake.

Yes, most probably. As I don't pay much attention, it could have been another screen. Worth noticing however, is that now I am getting 1 lingot per finished unit, not the previous six.

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

And I assume the server doesn't take that one lingot from you anymore. It can be seen that they are still working in Duo... Maybe wiretapping :-)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:24 pm

And I assume the server doesn't take that one lingot from you anymore. It can be seen that they are still working in Duo... Maybe wiretapping :-)

I better hurry up and finish the last 9 units before they start charging me! :D

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@duome Just a note, my page https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress/ stopped working several days ago. It's not syncing and the tree has gone somewhere. I know the reCAPTCHA issue, no hurry. But if it's because you're working on our course, I'm happy. :) ;)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@DaliborNovy That's what my tree looks like too.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

Your extended profiles are unavailable for some reason. I can still read johnarnold's so the data should still be there. Can you play with privacy settings to see if they affect duome?

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Thank you, @duome . You are right. It used to work even if the account was not public (with a blank Name). It was better but no need to deal with it. With a public account, it works. I am sorry to disturb you.

duome

Post by duome »

Looks like they finally got their privacy settings right :ugeek: :D

Return to “Duolingo”