Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Fluyo app kickstarter campaign from Ikenna is live until 04-27 / Recorded live stream 03-24 / New play-through video

We can't solve any technical issues that you may have with other services, but the Duome community may still give you some answers and ideas. Ask your questions, share experiences, exchange tips and advice and be welcome!

Forum rules

Duome can't solve the technical issues that you may have with any particular product.
For technical support, please, contact your respective service provider.
However the Duome community may have the answer to your questions.
Share your questions, get answers, share experiences, exchange tips and advice.

The language learning product subforums are listed in alphabetical order.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Fluyo app kickstarter campaign from Ikenna is live until 04-27 / Recorded live stream 03-24 / New play-through video

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hello, Olá, Bonjour,

you may have heard about the upcoming Fluyo app from Ikenna.

This is Ikenna's latest recorded live stream from Friday 03-24-2023 (was around 17:00pm Gmt+1): https://www.youtube.com/live/W1mDI0ecDZw?feature=share

You can pre-register on www.Fluyoapp.com and get further emails.

According to my received emails the Kickstarter campaign is launched on:

Tuesday, 03-28-2023 11am Est / 5pm Cet.

Ikenna advises to have a Kickstarter account ready :-)
Didn't see Paypal billing, only credit card?!?

Thought I would mention it here if you may have missed earlier of their talks and live events.

Hopefully the offered prices on Kickstarter are interesting and several unlimited lifetime slots are offered. He discussed some options on his latest stream at 08:00 interval, see the YT comments.

Good luck to you finding an alpha or beta slot for existing languages (French and Co.).

Best regards / Muitas saudações / Cordialement

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Fluyo app kickstarter compaign from Ikenna goes live on Tue 03-28-2023 / Recorded live stream from 03-24-2023

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

It's online on Kickstarter now with several screenshots:

Wow, lifetime prices are much higher than I have expected and far away from that BlackFriday special deal I got from Mosalingua last year for the full fluency LIFETIME bundle (with all modules like MosaSeries, MosaSeries2 for English, MosaSpeak FR/ES/ITA.., MosaTraining, unlocked app bonus packs incl. 50+ stories and travel).

• Alpha access is only available for people who pay $479+ for a lifetime subscription or a $239 three years subscriptions (edit: Oh, and the other $119 one year pledge).
  • Given target dates (on Kickstarter): for Alpha is July 2023, Beta is August 2023.

Q: Can anyone of you who have seen all the YT videos or the live streams remember when will the earliest Alpha app - with French testing - have a chance to launch?
Only July or several weeks/months before?
I somehow missed that info, so I may need to rewatch earlier videos.

• You can get 3 or 6 months subscription (+2023 beta access) for $39 or $75.
  • A one year subscription costs $119 (+2023 beta access, edit: also includes alpha access).

It clearly says on the Kickstarter pledge option text that this lifetime option is limited to this Kickstarter compaign, so I don't see it coming back laters.
I expect that full release subscriptions in 2024 only will be monthly or that 6-12 months prices may go higher after the Kickstarter?!??

Sorry to say, but I have not really found my personal pledge option when comparing Fluyo to already existing language products on the market - which regularly come with a yearly option but 50-60% off discount :-(
Some also at least offer cheaper one-time payments for specific levels, if not all.

Somehow had hoped for more options in the more affordable 100-150 or 199€ range, not only limited to 3-6 months or one year without any further discount.

To at least support Ikenna's team and new app language project I opted for the first pledge.
So this means that I probably lost the alpha access option to get started with relearning French as fast as possible (before summer) and trying the available Fluyo content ;)
But I didn't want to opt-in for longer-term pledges when I clearly know about other language applications which either A) offer LIFETIME already or B) sometimes give you a yearly discount on sale days.

How about YOU? Have you already found your Kickstarter pledge which truly fits your expectations?

Thought that earlier backer slots may be reserved; hmm, is not the case?!
Good for the Fluyo project and their team and next 29 days, maybe just a bit bad for VIP seekers who thought they can make an absolute "Schnäpple" (sensational deal) on a very limited slot today to support their mid-/long-term learning and getting a longer access.

Looks like I will keep looking for suitable French (beginner) + Portuguese (low-intermediate) learning resources which don't heavily focus on a subscription model :-)

Honestly, I'm also a bit surprised how much money people can actually dedicate for a long-term goal and one of the offered lifetime pledges when you scroll down on the right to the bottom.
Interesting that real higher budgets in the range are reserved.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Fluyo app kickstarter compaign from Ikenna goes live on Tue 03-28-2023 / Recorded live stream from 03-24-2023

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:29 pm
  • Given target dates (on Kickstarter): for Alpha is July 2023, Beta is August 2023.

Q: Can anyone of you who have seen all the YT videos or the live streams remember when will the earliest Alpha app - with French testing - have a chance to launch?
Only July or several weeks/months before?
I somehow missed that info, so I may need to rewatch earlier videos.

I found a FAQ: Faq from Fluyo Kickstarter site

2.When will I get access to Alpha & Beta?

We're planning to release the Alpha 2 months after our Kickstarter campaign ends and Beta 3 months after.
However this may be delayed by a month or two depending on how our Kickstarter campaign does due to adding languages being an extensive process.

Last updated: Tue, March 28 2023 5:17 PM CEST

5.How will Fluyo's subscription work?
We will have a monthly and annual subscription plan for Fluyo once we are fully launched. Monthly subscriptions for Kickstarter backers and annual subscribers start at $9.90/monthly ($118.80 annually).
Monthly price point for regular users signing up AFTER the Kickstarter campaign for full launch is TBD.
Prices will be adjusted to different countries to be fair on the currency exchange.

For those wanting family plans, we hear you! This is something we will consider after full launch next year.

Last updated: Wed, March 29 2023 7:00 PM CEST

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

A new 2-years subscription was recently added.

I strongly want to recommend to revisit the campaign overview site: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... escription

Several new tiers are shown as the $500k USD stretch goal has unlocked. They are described at the bottom when you scroll down.
The chooseable pledge tier option list is AFAIK only available on a PC (browser desktop mode) on the right side, not on a mobile compact view, or when you hit that blue "Manage your pledge" button and you're going to edit your currently selected 3/6 months tier pledge.
So if you have a 3, 6 month or yearly subscription and you want to get a slightly better monthly deal make sure to upgrade by selecting the blue "Manage your pledge" button.

I wonder how many slots are left for each support tier?

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

You can watch the live stream with Q&A from 04/07/2023 on Youtube here:

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi @HeyMarlana,

how is it going with your https://lifeandlanguage.boards.net/ board? How many members are there?

Do you maybe want to post the Kickstarter URL Fluyo website campaign to your forum? Is still running for 18 days.
More than 785 comments and 9 status updates have been posted so far.

• The cheapest price is $39 USD for Beta 2023 access and a 3 months subscription (2024).
  • A new 2 years subscription + alpha/beta testing 2023 access was recently added. Brings down the price effectively to $7 USD per months for 2024-2025 (2023 is free) if you don't choose lifetime or 3-years.

Japanese language stretch goal has already been reached (500k).
French/Spanish will go live for alpha/beta testing.
More partial languages and more in-app rewards will be unlocked next days / weeks...

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Backing isn't buying.

You're supporting ambitious creative work.
Kickstarter isn’t a store. We don’t guarantee projects or investigate a creator’s ability to complete them. It’s the responsibility of the creator to complete their project as promised, and the claims of the project are theirs alone.

Risks: Risks explanation from Kickstarter

There are always risks with app development. However, we feel quite confident to be able to deliver you guys an amazing application. Largely because we've spent the last 4 years working on developing Fluyo and already have a working pre-alpha version of the app with completed polished designs.

The risks mainly come in the form of delays. Every language we plan on adding will take at the quickest a few months to add, but many languages especially more complicated or non-latin alphabet languages can take up several more months to add and polish.

With regarding to this comment where I confused the two subjects: viewtopic.php?p=53069-paying-for-duolin ... you#p53069

I'm considering paying for it...

So far personally I chose $39, the 1st tier support option on Kickstarter which gives access to the app for BETA access in 2023 (starting August or something if there are no delays). Alpha just seems to be planned for one month earlier.
Really hope another feasible (lifetime, one language) option shows up until 27. April for those not living on a higher budget.

Ikenna does really a lot of videos, demos and they said that they will show a prototyp / play through soon.
Update: Was confirmed for the next days (end of week??) in Update #11 Kickstarter post; might depend on Ikenna's health situation to find a good day.
So he (co-founder, team) is investing all his life into it. He was online on Friday (public holiday!).

Anyway, the Kickstarter clearly says it has nothing to do with "buying a (real/existing/proven/running) product" and that there still might be involved some residiual risks, seriously or not, as always.
He said they're already using a prototyp internally for a demo and stuff and AFAIU the CTO has been using the Fluyo app for his own Spanish reviews or something?!

I want to push a bit the awareness for Fluyo on this adventurous forum but please also try to understand me:

With this thread I don't want to push people here into any higher paid subscriptions or a LIFETIME membership without making you aware of the last 1-10% or xx% something more percentages (project term are written on Kickstarter, info is given, pictures are uploaded BEFORE you even pledge) of a remaining risk what could potentially happen this year or next (1-2) 3-5 years if something goes horribly bad with this project or company which we all don't hope.
It's not optimal that I now feel I maybe need to write it down here, that's for sure; won't necessarily further help to gain anyone's trust, and I may find a better way to express this in English (is only my second language which I'm still learning) more elegantly next days and maybe I change all my text once again in this comment, but if you or family members can't truly afford to back a project and lose/burn this pledged money if it doesn't work out as intended, then please don't buy very expensive support tiers on Kickstarter!!
In life there is no absolute guarantee that all will 100-1000% always work out as promised or imagined.

Two contact persons from my own living environment specifically warned me today on telephone that they believe in the meantime "nothing said" generally anymore and one told me that it had happened before with other "funded PC/console games" that they never came out (not even with a real playable prototyp) or shortly have gone under after the first code snippets.
So, if people want to invest $479usd or a bit less for a 1-3 year subscription (asked price currently is beyond a more forgivable $40-99 range) please keep in mind that I don't want to be the first or last person on earth who is guilty that has "somehow tricked you or your family" into buying Kickstarter options for a new language product which is not final and doesn't exist on the market (you can't download the app demo yet), in case YOU kinda lost that money.

So please remember this when you choose a supporting tier from the list and pledge: Only do it when you truly can afford it and your income is high enough or appropriate for the amount!

Not like young Duolingo users who sign up for a Plus/Super trial, forget to cancel and get an heart attack when the full money (yearly, as an one time payment) was billed on their credit card and there is no way for a refund and now they can't afford buying food in their life; we heard those stories...that's just horrible for those when they can't easily get it back.

With new products and projects it probably makes sense to stay safe and only invest saved money which you can also lose in the absolute worstcase, like buying investment funds, stock shares, corporate bonds, etc.

...(...)..

On Kickstarter there is a big Comment section and multiple Update threads from the founders.
Also on his Youtube live streams or YT videos you can ask specific questions and get to know Ikenna and his team.

Disclaimer:
I know nothing about his company, no details about the financial situation and financing models and business plan or how a project like Fluyo can be brought successfully to the market and what business figures or forecasts need to be available.
But wish him and his team all the best and still feel some of us can probably help him a bit.
Two "Fluyo gods" so far spent $10,000, also the other $4,000 or $900 support tier was backed, so some investors are actually having fun :-)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: Fluyo app kickstarter compaign from Ikenna is live until 04-27 / Recorded live stream 03-24 / New play-through video

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

A new play-through video is online: See the Update #15 post and comments

Embedded video:

coz

Re: Fluyo app kickstarter campaign from Ikenna is live until 04-27 / Recorded live stream 03-24 / New play-through video

Post by coz »

As someone who has tried making a new project and feeling stuck with it: the issue with creative ventures is that they require creating something new, and often, this involves new processes. Sometimes those processes may look good on paper but something completely unexpected may bring them to a halt, and if so, it freezes progress of the entire project, and this happens quite often

Also, regarding Fluyo: it seems an interesting app for kids or people who have a hard time keeping up motivation and/or focus while learning languages, but what I personally look for is something that teaches what I want to learn (reading,writing, listening, speaking with high frequency words) as fast as possible and with a high degree of knowledge

Obviously an app can only do so much. Duolingo is great for getting enough practice to have reading, and fundamental writing and reading to stick, plus some speaking practice. Since I'm doing the French from English course, Duolingo is a bit too repetitive (just decreasing one lesson from each level would be perfect) but I wouldn't change anything else

The other website that I've found, that fits my purposes, is Busuu. Their lessons are great (they are better at explaining meaning, grammar and culture than Duolingo), their lessons are focused on useful material, they are also aligned with the CERF, and allow sending answers to other users who have high proficiency in your target language. The only thing I'd add is to increase practice a bit! I feel like you can move forward a bit too fast. I know it seems contradictory with what I wrote above, but it's really comparing oranges to apples

One thing I have not found is learning vocabulary for beginners that does not use translation. What I mean is, there are many concepts that have a concrete representation; you can represent numbers physically with characters, or a pineapple with a picture, but you can't represent Mondays. Showing a picture with the word in the target language would be great. The closest I've found is Language Drops but it lacks too many things for it to be useful for me

I hope this feedback helps with your project

Deleted User 4833

Re: Fluyo app kickstarter campaign from Ikenna is live until 04-27 / Recorded live stream 03-24 / New play-through video

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

coz wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:03 pm

As someone who has tried making a new project and feeling stuck with it: the issue with creative ventures is that they require creating something new, and often, this involves new processes. Sometimes those processes may look good on paper but something completely unexpected may bring them to a halt, and if so, it freezes progress of the entire project, and this happens quite often

Also, regarding Fluyo: it seems an interesting app for kids or people who have a hard time keeping up motivation and/or focus while learning languages, but what I personally look for is something that teaches what I want to learn (reading,writing, listening, speaking with high frequency words) as fast as possible and with a high degree of knowledge

Obviously an app can only do so much. Duolingo is great for getting enough practice to have reading, and fundamental writing and reading to stick, plus some speaking practice. Since I'm doing the French from English course, Duolingo is a bit too repetitive (just decreasing one lesson from each level would be perfect) but I wouldn't change anything else

The other website that I've found, that fits my purposes, is Busuu. Their lessons are great (they are better at explaining meaning, grammar and culture than Duolingo), their lessons are focused on useful material, they are also aligned with the CERF, and allow sending answers to other users who have high proficiency in your target language. The only thing I'd add is to increase practice a bit! I feel like you can move forward a bit too fast. I know it seems contradictory with what I wrote above, but it's really comparing oranges to apples

One thing I have not found is learning vocabulary for beginners that does not use translation. What I mean is, there are many concepts that have a concrete representation; you can represent numbers physically with characters, or a pineapple with a picture, but you can't represent Mondays. Showing a picture with the word in the target language would be great. The closest I've found is Language Drops but it lacks too many things for it to be useful for me

For the record I did not find Busuu helpful for learning Arabic from the beginning level, even though I went in with some knowledge. They did not give great explanations and jumped into unknown vocabulary without explanation way too fast for me. I gave up on Busuu after several weeks.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

coz wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:03 pm

Not mine.
It's the project of Ikenna Obi, Alcuin Guest and the other team members listed below the "Team vision" headline on the Fluyo campaign description page when you scroll to the bottom.

Well, I had provided a link to this Duome thread on their Kickstarter comments section.
Theoretically they should be aware.
Only backers can post on Kickstarter...

The FAQ lists a direct e-mail address if you feel you want to contact them for any feedback: Contact e-mail

Practically they have gotten a lot of different questions and general or some detailed feedback, in the Update #nr posts, KS comments section, Youtube video/live streams, YT community announcement.
And Ikenna wrote that he also needs to recover from additional health issues.

I can't really tell how they track everything or if they revisit this Duome thread.
I hardly can load more/all comments on the KS section without Firefox (Nightly) continuously slowing down.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

To be honest: I'm still kinda fighting for other LIFETIME options for one, two or 2-3 languages (full or partial access) but haven't managed to convince them yet...only 10 days to go until 27. April :-)

Had given a few suggestions in several Update #nr threads and left replies in the comments section:

Edit (non-working direct comment_id links):
Why do direct comment links not work in the comment section?
Only the first/top comment/most recent loads like you directly click on the /comments tab.
This is very suboptimal as I've already linked several comments.
Seems to better working for linked Update #nr threads, maybe not?
Doesn't work on the mobile or desktop website. Not with Chrome Dev and Firefox Nightly. Anyone of you having success with other browsers?
Looks like a Kickstarter website bug.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

In the play-through video I saw a lot of "match pairs" exercises.
Need to watch it again.

Was this for REVIEWS (without challenges within battles)?
Or was this only Ikenna's demo for learning new words and being tested a bit on them?

When so many hints are given away this question type is IMHO not so very effective if you want to work on reviews (100% typing in RECALLING tests give a lower accuracy score, but are more precise if there only is an empty text field) to clear your due backlog queue.
So personally I wouldn't want to see them (anything which is way too easy) in battles.

• LingoLegend can do it mixed: If you fully learn the phrases for a selected topic, the later game battle only focuses on the reviews with 1-2 letter keywords, typing or word banks.
  • Memrise used "multiple-choice questions" more in the Learn mode. For reviews I only had focused on the Web (userscripts, 100% typing, no multiple-choice - not even for full phrases/sentences).
  • Duolingo "Match madness" Web exercises kinda just bore me in the Portuguese course. But with the audio mode and hidden text it is a bit more difficult. Thankfully the old Duolingo Android app V5.52.5 doesn't seem to have this type of exercise or I don't see it very often because of working on skills (old tree) on the L2-L3 or L4 crown levels.

..(...)..

In the Spanish flashcards I have seen the example sentences below the word.
But there was no audio button and in the demo the TTS engine didn't play that example sentence.
I'm getting a Busuu Déjà-vu from their French A1 course until I could fix the phone and get "Select to Speak" working on Android.
Longer/harder examples without any associated audio were not helpful to me as a true French beginner.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

As a teacher of English to second language learners I find it interesting when people will spend big money on a on-line game program to learn a language. My experience with in person classes is that unless the person is really motivated they don't stick. I stopped taking 1-1 students because they would lose interest after a month. The only thing I have found that does work are very targeted and short courses. Currently I do 30 day courses where the student commits to 30 days and 20 minutes each day on-line. These are proving to work and the students don't drop off or out.

Unless someone is really committed to learning another language they usually don't stick with it. That can be good for the company who gets their money up front but not so good for the consumer who spent the money but then didn't complete the course. To each his own!

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

MsFixer
Japan

Post by MsFixer »

I guess Fluyo may work for some people. But no thanks, I'll definitely pass.

This is just from my personal view, and sorry in advance if my comment hurts you. But Fluyo is full of elements that I HATED so much about Duolingo. After the IPO, Duolingo introduced many gamification features, all of which are just distractions for me: e.g., unnatural wacky voices, and anime characters slowing down the progress. Fluyo seems to compile only such distractions (at least for me) and to amplify them.

As @coz pointed out, and as this article criticizes by referring to statistical data in Japan and Korea, most of online gamification features did not improve students' performance EXCEPT for those who with concentration and motivation issues. Online learning apps in general are not the problem here. Too much visual contexts and gamification are. These distractions, according to the abovementioned article, consume a person's "working memory", which should be allocated more to language learning itself.

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

One hour is left for the KS campaign. You can also pledge without a reward/app beta/alpha access if you want.

With the new Fluyo app/game product (and a lifetime offering) you can over time learn and practice ALL offered 10+ languages as soon as it is available on the market if you don't want to focus only on one, two or 2-3 languages.
If you only want to learn 1-3 languages for the next years unfortunately there is - unlike Fastlingo, Nextlingua, Ouino, Qlango & Co. apps - no more affordable (lifetime, pay once) option, see my repost in the threads:

Update #23: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... c2MzAxNA==

Update #22: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... c2MjYxNA==

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

According to Kickstarter update posts: Last weekend the first alpha users were invited and could download the game on IOS (Test flight) and Android (invite Kickstarter users).

Nobody is allowed to share pictures or detail infos.

No, I've signed up only as a beta tester which phase will start later as the project timeline and possible alpha begin had shifted back a bit.

Was not invited for German or Portuguese Qs or translation verifications (had signed up before on the web).

@moderators
You can move this thread to the new product section.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

From the Duolingo "I fell for the "create your avatar" scam and lost my picture!" thread:

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:28 am

IMHO it will be worse on Fluyo.

On the tech talk with the CTO and YT live stream Alcuin has specifically said that no user portrait uploads will be accepted.
Only a generic avatar.

For sure I won't talk to / chat with strangers who I have not seen a face pic or full body.

As we know Duolingo is developing backwards (compared to 2016 where PMs existed) and Fluyo's social feature fails for me right from the start.

It somehow s...ed quite much when Hellolingo was only text based and no pictures of accounts were given.
But then it was at least possible to give a quite long bio text and reference other websites.
Wish I would have had saved mine... but it's lost forever.

..(...)..

On Busuu many people upload their (real) portrait photos so this is easier to add a few selected friends.

Unfortunately, Busuu doesn't support searching for usernames and adding them with direct user_ids or from external resources, only internally from their suggested lists.

Would be fun to add several Duolingo or Duome users, who provide a portrait.

..(...)..

Learners from DL staff themselves have been heavily using cartoonized avatars for a longer time on their own accounts.
I'm not a big fan of them.
Surely won't hit any mobile app button to create a random avatar, like within the game LingoLegend.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:01 am

A new thread was opened about seeing friend pictures and viewing their progress along the path.

hiimxili wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:41 am

It was always my biggest motivation to see my friends on the progression path and figuring out where they currently are and if I had to catch up to them

hiimxili wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:41 am

My motivation goes down a bit bc of that.

Well, my Duolingo motivation is definitely down in the basement (ist unten im Keller) as

• and I can't view anymore people from abroad with normal / real portrait pictures

• having to delete and block more and more Duolingo users in the streams and friends list or blocking unknown people which are still adding me
    (I'm getting at least those email notifications; another web feature which was removed at the top right side)

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:54 am

As all DL avatars seem to be getting replaced by these new ugly cartoon faces I wonder why anyone really wants to see them (diese hässliche Fratzen) everywhere, especially on a Home/Learn page/tab :-)

They force more and more users into them (new app feature, store auto updates; mobile users are getting now those popup dialogues to create one) and I can't keep up deleting them and cleaning up the old friends list (which I had hand picked, took a lot of effort going through forums, SHOF ranking tables,.. and adding users manually over all the years).

I don't think anyone of the Duome power SHOF users cares anymore about their established friends list or wants to really have these cartoon faces on their learn path as well.
Unfortunately there's no setting to limit friends (two phase confirmation), disable visibility, etc.

Maybe if thousands of DL users get onto their nerves on a daily basis and/or offer money (ideally only a one-time payment) wanting to keep the old avatar Web feature (uploading real portrait pictures which somehow need to be moderated once reported, I know) they take another direction, like the Memrise staff often did when receiving feedback on their - now suddenly discontinued - community forum.

..(...)..

Wow, finally after almost seven years I can receive again free text congratulation messages in the Android app from Portuguese native speakers (a very new app feature in most recent versions)!! :-)

But very often can't see the real person behind it anymore or access the user profile who posted it as I only see it in the small Android OS notification screen.

And now this that more and more DL cartoon avatars are staring at me which somehow reminds me about the LingoLegend game (which has massive of French content in multiple topics).

And to be honest: The game character in LingoLegend you can build up and change with each new reached level or equip with better armor, new hat, sword and shield looks way cooler.

Maybe it would be possible on Fluyo to find and add established friends from Duolingo, Memrise, Duome, Busuu,...

Just an idea.

Return to “Product Specific Q&A”