Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Crown counter is frozen

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

pj1506
France

Crown counter is frozen

Post by pj1506 »

I just completed the Arabic course today and I didn't get the 276 crowns. I am stuck at 269 crowns since I have updated the app.

Arabic + Tagalog

Corinnebelle

Re: Crown counter is frozen

Post by Corinnebelle »

Hmm, my crowns on internal.duolingo.com haven't gone up since they gave me the one path, even though I can see the old tree through them. I suppose your problem is that Duome is not displaying your crowns?

You have an amazing collection of owls, by the way! שלום! I see you studied Hebrew!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:49 pm

Hmm, my crowns on internal.duolingo.com haven't gone up since they gave me the one path, even though I can see the old tree through them. I suppose your problem is that Duome is not displaying your crowns?

You have an amazing collection of owls, by the way! שלום! I see you studied Hebrew!

! שלום וברכה
Yes, Duome is not displaying my crowns 😭 it is so unfair...

Arabic + Tagalog

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]pj1506[/mention] There's a simple solution. Just mention [mention]duome[/mention] or wait for him to read this message. He usually fixes things! He's a great guy.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

pj1506, please, make sure your Food 1, Food 2, Food 3, Describing a picture 1, Hotel 1, Clothes 2, Family 3 skills are legendary (I can double check the data when you switch back to Arabic).

This is what duolingo reports for your Arabic: {"preload":false,"placementTestAvailable":false,"authorId":"duolingo","title":"Arabic","learningLanguage":"ar","xp":23165,"healthEnabled":true,"fromLanguage":"en","crowns":269,"id":"DUOLINGO_AR_EN"}

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

Thanks a lot Mr [mention]duome[/mention]. I switched back to the Arabic course and I checked that I am fully legendary.
Thanks for your help in repairing this injustice!
BTW, it seems to be the same situation for all my other languages.

Arabic + Tagalog

duome

Post by duome »

This is what I see in the data for your "Food 1" skill:

"title":"Food 1",
"skill_progress":{"level":5},
"num_levels":6,
"progress_level_session_index":3,
"level_sessions_finished":3,
"num_sessions_for_level":4,
"levels_finished":5

Basically this means that you finished 5 levels while there are 6 levels overall; you did 3 sessions/lessons in the current level while you need to do 4 sessions to complete the level - this is what duolingo itself considers to be true.

If it doesn't corellate with what you see on screen (i.e. your "Food 1" skill looks like it's already legendary), it's probably because of the new "one path" mode - something must be stuck after trying out the new path. From what I can tell we have only 3 levels in the new path while we had 6 levels in the old layout, so if you start from scratch you will have even less crowns than you do now - it'll be 46x3 = 138 crowns instead of the original 276 or your current 269 crowns.

Sadly I don't know if it can be fixed.

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

Thank you [mention]duome[/mention] for spending time on my issue.
It is pretty clear to me that the change to one-path has corrupted all the analytics.
Quite sad as the information provided by duome.eu rendered Duolingo infinitely more interesting...

Arabic + Tagalog

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

Thanks again [mention]duome[/mention] , reading the forum I learned about https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn and I am able to collect the missing crowns through this mean!
You are correct, the skills you mentioned were not complete on this site whereas they were showing as being completed on the regular Duolingo.

Arabic + Tagalog

duome

Post by duome »

By the way, I opted in to test the duolingo beta version (or whatever they call it) so I get redirected to preview.duolingo.com which probably prevents me from getting to the www-internal version. If someone is having the same issue but they still want to get to www-internal, they probably need to opt out of the beta program first... (but I didin't try it myself so I cannot be perfectly sure).

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

I've been having a similar problem ever since the change to the snake system, only XPs and 1-to-25-levels keep progressing, crowns and 1blue-to-6purple-levels are stuck.

I still see others getting "X learned English from Tagalog" (but with 0 crowns!) and "X's tree is golden", but this is not for me, I am stuck at L2green that I reached before the tree-to-snake change even though last week I finished the English-from-Tagalog snake (everything is legendary purple on Duolingo).

I am wondering how to make this show on Duome now that internal-Duolingo has also changed to snake....

Frustrating...

Arabic + Tagalog

tooraloorali

Post by tooraloorali »

I'm so curious about this! I have a similar issue: the XP updates fine in Duome, but the crown levels and legendary status do not seem to change as I practice. So now Duolingo and Duome are totally out of sync for me. I noticed the Spiritual and Politics skills went from L2 to L3 and my overall golden owl went to L2, but since then I haven't seen crown levels increasing. I've finished the path, and am now getting the initial units to Legendary level as prompted by the app.

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable (maybe even@duome?) can shed some light here.

What I see:

• Duolingo Path UI: I have the Italian tree completed in gold, and the first 4 units in Legendary purple.

• Duome tree UI: The skills are mainly in crown L2 green up until "Sports" when they are mainly L3 red, with a few higher level exceptions.

• Duome user overview:

• 172 total crowns, 168/400 crowns in main Italian course

• 141(??) crowns in Italian, 28 crowns in Irish, 3 crowns in German

I wonder:

• Is it that Duolingo is not exposing or even updating crown level data anymore, with the new Path? Or is there something limiting Duome's API calls?

• Has the Skills data model changed, since Legendary status now applies to a bunch of levels at once rather than skill by skill? If so, is there a way to reflect this in Duome?

• Could it be an effect of my using the placement test ages ago, and the "Jump Ahead" buttons more recently to reach harder material? How does that map to the crown levels?

• Without the internal Duolingo site and most of the tree links no longer working, is there any way I can increase my levels? Or is my tree stuck in L2L/L3 limbo forever? :,)

Thanks again for maintaining the progress page and creating a new forum, it's nice to talk shop with Duo and Duome fans.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

I have experienced something similar with the Esperanto course. After finishing the course, a section of 11 skills in what was the third chapter remain green. The initial ones in the first chapter are legendary (2), gold(3) and orange(5) as they were before the final changeover to the path.

All skills in the final chapters turned red before the tree was disabled. Despite several units now legendary, this does not reflect on the tree in Duome any longer.

My best guess is that Duolingo screwed up their database updating process while disabling the tree.
Last time I tried a placement test, a boatload of crowns were assigned (level 3 on the section of skills tested out of). I am wondering if that still is the case.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Svea
Germany

Post by Svea »

My interpretation according to former comments here and duolingo blog is now that the crown status as listed in duome cannot be reliable anymore, because there is no crown concept with the new learning path at duolingo anymore. The crown status may have been used by duolingo for transfer of the status/progress of the old learning tree towards the new learning path (refer to https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... rning-path). But with the recent deactivation of the learning tree it seems there won't be any changes to the old crown status anymore.

The new learning path provides lessons in levels (circles), which form units. Hence a learner can complete levels and can reach trophy or legendary status for units.

:?: My question is now:
Which data at duome are suitable and reliable to check my progress according to the new duolingo learning path? Is there already a new level/unit progress available?
The change from tree to path was no fun and I do not understand the advantages for me. Nevertheless, I will appreciate if duome can be adapted to the new learning path, for long-term learners as well as for new learners, who do not (want to) look back to the former learning tree. I understand that this will be only possible if the respective learning path data for progress measurement are available with the public duolingo data per profile.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Svea I read this rather worrisome thread about crown counting with the new system

viewtopic.php?p=49672-crowns#p49672

Svea
Germany

Post by Svea »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:48 pm

@Svea I read this rather worrisome thread about crown counting with the new system

viewtopic.php?p=49672-crowns#p49672

Thanks for this referenve. Well, it describes a crazy crown reduction! Luckily, up to now I experienced only frozen crown status for raising unit level from trophy to legendary in the learning path (android app, super duolingo), but no crown reduction. Well, both effects are not suitable to measure progress, which is caused by duolingo (tree) data and not by duome. This was the reason for me to ignore crowns, because I assume that there is no link anymore between the crowns and my progressing in the new learning path.

:?: And therefore I'm asking: Is there a new value available/possible at duome, derived from duolingo data, that is reliable and better suitable than crowns to display progress for learning with the new learning path?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Svea I am wondering that too. Perhaps a unit count or something like that?

blue (karen005005)
Japan

Post by blue (karen005005) »

I have the same problems. Crown counter is frozen.
(I am Japanese, my English is not good, sorry)

My problems are
1. Learning English from Chinese
I learned this course through the old tree using duolingo school.
At the beginning of Jan., the tree at schools expired, my crown status was 865/882.
I started to learn through the snake, and my position was just over 50% on the way.
Now, I finished everything on the snake, but my crown status in duome is still 865/882.
I installed the old apk of android again and confirmed that there are some level 6 crowns that should be legendaries!! How can I get my 17 crowns!
I know my explanation isn't good enough, so I show a image of my situation at this course.

2. Learning Spanish from Chinese
I left this course for a long time and resumed it at the end of Jan.
It means that my replaced position on the snake path was decided by Duolingo and I just followed it, and the result is...
Crowns 302/384 after completing the snake. I want to get my 82 crowns!
I tried to practice https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/X/level/Y
but nothing happened. What can I do next?

3. Learning Korean from English
I deleted this course and started from the scrach, but....
I write about this later.

I really need everyone's help.
I would appreciate your advice on whether there is anything I can do, or if there is nothing I can do but give up.

I'm so sad in these 3 months.
(Now I am wondering what word is appropriate in the above sentence; sad, depressed, frustrated??? )

Last edited by blue (karen005005) on Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Native 🇯🇵,  Learning; 🇺🇸 intermediate, I hope / 🇪🇸 & 🇨🇳 beginner

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”