Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Matras मात्रा vowel forms

dakanga

Matras मात्रा vowel forms

Post by dakanga »

There are two different scripts to show vowels.

Independent vowel forms

These are used when the vowel occurs alone, at the beginning of a word, or after another vowel. In other words, the independent form is used whenever there is no consonant for the vowel to attach to.
In most dictionaries, for the ordering of the alphabet, the vowels come first, and they use this independent form. See : viewtopic.php?p=48195-official-resource ... dia#p48195

Matra मात्रा vowel forms

These are diacritical like marks that are placed around a constonant to represent a vowel sound.

Every consonant letter by itself automatically includes a short "a" vowel sound unless otherwise specified. This short "a" sound is like the "a" in English "about" or "career." In linguistics, this sound has a special name: "schwa ." Thus the letter क is pronounced like the first syllable of the word "career" (consonant and vowel together).

A consonant's "schwa" can be changed to any other vowel by using a " matra " sign. A matra sign is attached to the consonant letter. The matras are also called the dependant forms of the vowels. A matra is used to indicate that a vowel is attached to a consonant.

As a consonant's "default vowel," is the short "a", there is no matra for the short "a".

Under construction ....

dakanga

Re: Matras मात्रा vowel forms

Post by dakanga »

mantratransliterated 1English
equivalent
(blank) about
ā (aa) father
ि i sin
ī (ee) seen
u book
(oo) food
ē in
i sad
ō soda
u saw

*1 as used in Duolingo lessons
( ) as can be seen in other transliteration

dakanga

Re: Matras मात्रा vowel forms

Post by dakanga »

Simplified table for a looking up reference when doing the first couple of Duolingo units. Under construction.

a ā1 i ī1
u ū1 riː ē1
ai1 ō1 au
ka ख : kha ga gha na
ca छ : cha ja jha na
ṭa ठ : ṭha ḍa ḍha ṇa
ṭa थ : ṭha ḍa ḍha ṇa
pa फ : pha ba bha ma
ya र : ra la va
śa ष : ṣa sa ha

mantra
ा ā , ि i , ी ī , ु u , ू , े ē , ै i , ो ō , ौ u