Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Let's get copy-pasting!

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Jenga218
Australia

Let's get copy-pasting!

Post by Jenga218 »

Let's get started on archiving!

I've made a list here of useful French information/grammar posts that I would like to see rescued from the Duolingo forums.
If you are able to help out by copying a post below and creating a corresponding thread here, I would appreciate the help!

Please don't feel limited by my list, I would love to see several useful posts rescued from Duolingo and remade here.

Once a thread has been archived either by myself or someone else, I'll remove it from this list.

Les or Des? - Jenga218 is working on comments. Started here: viewtopic.php?t=138
Noun genders in French
More information on verb groups
Why not Je suis un professeur?
Different types of object pronouns
Nasal vowels in French
Personal pronouns in French
Regular and irregular plurals
A guide to en
Basic French greetings and expressions
Pronouncing "u"
Aimer, aimer bien, and adorer
Entendre and écouter

Would also love to see these threads copied over, too:
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/55949197
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/56015764

I thought I'd post a little bit about my method now that I've done a couple of threads.

For each post I'm starting it with [ARCHIVE] in the title. This indicates that this a copy of a thread from the original duolingo forum. I am also trying to use the same title as the thread I'm copying.

I use the windows snip tool to grab a screenshot of the title, name, and avatar of the original poster. Trying to give as much credit as possible and make it remind us of the old forums a little here, too. I upload this to an image hosting site (I'm partial to imgur but feel free to use your favourite), then copy the BBCode into the post.

I also include a link to the copied thread. These links presumably will work until March 22nd.
I then copy the text from the original post, and paste it into the title post.
I have been editing formatting manually, adding bold, italics, and lists and links. I then submit the thread as a new topic.

Often times there's as much (if not more) value in the comments on the original thread. These are simply included as quotes in the next few posts. I'm not copying every comment, only those that 1) add substance, 2) ask clarifying questions, and 3) answer those clarifying questions. Lots of 'thanks, this is helpful' is ommitted for the sake of my own sanity.

I'm struggling a bit with translating over the 'nesting' of comments that occurs on Duolingo but not here. I have been doing this by adding a line to separate discussions.

Sometimes people have recommended other helpful discussions on different threads - if this is relevant to the same overall topic (eg Tutoyer and Vouvoyer) I'm simply adding this as a separate post in the same thread. Additionally leaving threads open so they can become active discussions if people have further questions about these grammar concepts.

I am occasionally using large screenshots to give context but I also think it's important that this text be properly 'searchable' so I'm not solely relying on screenshots to copy over information.

Last edited by Jenga218 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:06 am, edited 8 times in total.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

Jenga218
Australia

Re: Let's get copy-pasting!

Post by Jenga218 »

Okay, I've finished the initial sticky.
Trying my hand at the next one, not sure what the best way is to capture all the many comments and nested comments and copy/import them over here. Anyone have any suggestions?
Looking at this thread: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2299997

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

I'm going to bed, but I got a lot done today! For heavily formatted posts, my husband showed my how to use F12 to find the HTML code for a comments/sections of a post, copy it, and then paste it into an HTML->BBCode converter. Game changer!

My poor CTRL key is going to get a lot of use this weekend methinks! I'm so glad to see others helping out - we can do this!

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I will do the keyboard one - as that is one of mine.

currently I am working on the Deleted Stories - things are changing slightly, as this format here is slightly different to the Duo forum. And I am adapting the content to maximize what I see as the benefits of this forum.

Please, I make errors. If you spot one, please point it out.

Next I may work on current Stories ;
Then French word list
Then French Tips
Then some other resources.

I love your organization Jenga 218. It is though going to be a long haul.

Hopefully others will join us in this as well.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Regarding stickies, I would keep them to a minimum I would suggest.

Just the one you currently have, and also this post here : Let's get copy-pasting!

I think that should be stickied for at least this next month.

Though I leave this decision in your very very very competent hands.

And to also note, for posts of mine, I am not adding "archived", as I see they are my responsibility to maintain. And endeavour to keep them up to date and appropriate.

While also endeavouring to acknowledge these are also contributions of us as a community.
Please pull me up on any issues - I do make mistakes.

Also at the moment I am taking short cuts, and will return after the deadline to tend to some more tidying up of all sorts of issues.

At the moment, I am just trying to batten things down things as quick as I can before the storm of end really hits us.

And hope I will get past the French forum, to help save resources for other language pairs, before this storm descends.

There is soooooo LITTLE time !

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I would suggest leaving the sub discussion re other language of German not copied. i.e. the sub thread to : https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2299 ... id=2305763

But to copy : https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2299 ... id=2300257

That though is just my 2 cents worth. I so LOVE FrankySka and all they have done for our community. But in this case, this is what I am suggesting.

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

Regarding stickies, I would keep them to a minimum I would suggest.

Just the one you currently have, and also this post here : Let's get copy-pasting!

I think that should be stickied for at least this next month.

Done!

And to also note, for posts of mine, I am not adding "archived", as I see they are my responsibility to maintain. And endeavour to keep them up to date and appropriate.

While also endeavouring to acknowledge these are also contributions of us as a community.
Please pull me up on any issues - I do make mistakes.

Oh I'm definitely learning as I go! I still can't get the hang of tables here - hoping to pin my husband shortly to see if he can patiently walk me through it. :P

Also at the moment I am taking short cuts, and will return after the deadline to tend to some more tidying up of all sorts of issues.

At the moment, I am just trying to batten things down things as quick as I can before the storm of end really hits us.

And hope I will get past the French forum, to help save resources for other language pairs, before this storm descends.

There is soooooo LITTLE time !

I agree completely! I'm happy to see that other languages are picking up steam, though, and I would love to help with Hebrew too, but....ahhhh soooo many resources, soooo little time! I just keep quietly posting in the existing forums/wherever I can about what I'm doing and hopefully soon enough people will get the idea.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

Me: okay I can maybe do one more before bed. What's next on the list?

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/3683850

Me: cool cool.

137 comments

Me: cries :shock: :cry:

I do want to tackle partitive articles because I really struggle with them but dear lord. I'll do that tomorrow.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

With us,
if we keep choosing to strive,

we will get through this.

And to do so as a community.

I am with you.

And many more besides.

edited : please though care for yourself first. To that extent, as it creeping to midnight for me - and ... my health has been recently compromised ... I will head to bed.

You are NOT alone. You are NOT the only one. And it is important to keep a perspective on this.
We are a community. And we are here with our aim, to be here for a very long time.
It is what makes us great - when we choose to be community. And that also includes - sharing the load, and making space for others.

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

I haven't been able to do anything today. Intended to spend my Sunday copying posts but apparently my computer's windows install has become corrupted.

IT husband has been working on it all afternoon, meanwhile I'm such with just my phone. Not ideal!

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

dakanga wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:23 am

Then French Tips

My friend, I have just found this: https://duome.eu/tips/en/zz#u07

This looks like all of the tips that are linked in this table, already carefully stowed away by Duome. I am so happy!

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

Word lists already exist for many other languages as well:
https://duome.eu/vocabulary

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

Hi,

I week ago or so I put in a question in the request forum. But so far not much of a reaction. viewtopic.php?t=426

So I put the link to the question here as well, because I think it need to be at least discussed.

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Please note , I know have Les or Des? by DXLiP covered at :

https://archive.ph/P0u8O

So we do not need to do that one for now.

unterhausen
Andorra

Post by unterhausen »

Sorry I didn't follow all the links, but is the "hidden stories" post copied?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

You can check out the :

the "extra" / removed stories at :

or the different presentation by :

edited : so for the French for English speakers stories - this resouce is saved.

Hopefully all others will also be before 22 March.

If you can help do this, and also put up a post in duome.eu - to give access to the them - I know many would be grateful.

Return to “French”