Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Biblical Hebrew resources

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

Biblical Hebrew resources

Post by Corinnebelle »

Course material
Aleph with Beth course, online quizzes

Simplified Hebrew Grammar by Justin Alfred

Introduction to Hebrew verbs

Biblica Hebraica Notes from Biblical Hebrew level 1 course

Daily dose of Hebrew See Hebrew Readings for videos of Bible verses read in Hebrew with explanations

Learn Biblical Hebrew Introduction

Hebrew for Christians

Foundation stone

Free Biblical Hebrew courses

Hebrew through the Bible

Free Hebrew online

Learning Hebrew with hieroglyphics

Biblical audio

Dramatized Hebrew reading of the Tanakh Probably not the easiest one to hear each word clearly, but fun to listen to.)

Hebrew reading by chapter

Learn Hebrew with Jonah from Animated Hebrew Has a bunch of other stuff as well.

Bibleling Easy Hebrew audio lessons with pictures graduate into Bible stories.

Best way to learn Torah

Text

Tanakh pdf Interlinear with Jewish Bible

The complete Jewish Bible with Rashi commentary

The Israel Bible Articles with transliteration of some verses and a Jewish interlinear Bible where you can read and listen at the same time. Commentary.

Tanakh explained. Not sure which dialect he uses to teach the pronunciation of תנ''ך

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Re: Biblical Hebrew resources

Post by Upbeat 88 »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] thank you somuch for putting this out here for us thank you very much

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

i think learning biblical greek would be pretty cool also

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

BrianEngst1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 pm

i think learning biblical greek would be pretty cool also

You are welcome! Here's one for Greek

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

@Corinnebelle , one of the links in your OP goes to a 404 (Learn Biblical Hebrew.)

I see that most of the resources you linked are aimed at Christians who wish to learn Biblical Hebrew. You might want to clarify that and separate the Christian resources from the ones that are not Christian.

The main consideration, from my point of view, is that Christian translation and understanding of Hebrew Biblical text often differs quite a bit from Jewish understanding of it.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC That is a good idea! I personally like to learn from both. I was hoping to have this subforum named classical Hebrew, but apparently that name for that era of the Hebrew language is not well known by Jews. I don't know where that link went, it was a good one. Wish I could find it. I found something else. Thanks for letting me know. I guess you would have to search for free courses on the Tanakh to get more Jewish ones?

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:20 am

@JudieLC That is a good idea! I personally like to learn from both. I was hoping to have this subforum named classical Hebrew, but apparently that name for that era of the Hebrew language is not well known by Jews. I don't know where that link went, it was a good one. Wish I could find it. I found something else. Thanks for letting me know. I guess you would have to search for free courses on the Tanakh to get more Jewish ones?

Yes, probably.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I looked up Tanakh, I didn't find many courses, did find a cool learn the alef-bet language game, I put over in the Alef-bet resources. I did find some texts. Did you try the dramatized Hebrew reading of the Tanakh? I like reading some Hebrew commentary and stuff, I like Jewish thought, I like to learn how they understand Hebrew works. After all they are the ones who should know!

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:48 pm

@JudieLC I looked up Tanakh, I didn't find many courses, did find a cool learn the alef-bet language game, I put over in the Alef-bet resources. I did find some texts. Did you try the dramatized Hebrew reading of the Tanakh? I like reading some Hebrew commentary and stuff, I like Jewish thought, I like to learn how they understand Hebrew works. After all they are the ones who should know!

I'm not aware of many courses off the top of my head, though my daughter may know of some. I haven't tried the Hebrew dramatized reading of the Tanach, no.

At the moment I'm kind of busy getting ready for Passover. It requires a lot of cleaning, making the house and especially the kitchen kosher for Passover, and a lot of shopping for Passover food. So I won't have a lot of time for other things in the upcoming weeks.

Deleted User 4833

Also want to mention that people call the Hebrew of the Bible Biblical Hebrew. I don't hear the phrase classical Hebrew much the way you hear people talk about classical Greek. Though technically, I guess, Biblical Hebrew and classical Hebrew are the same thing. My preference is to call it Biblical Hebrew.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC This is what Wiki says:

Biblical Hebrew (עִבְרִית מִקְרָאִית, (Ivrit Miqra'it) (help·info) or לְשׁוֹן הַמִּקְרָא, (Leshon ha-Miqra) (help·info)), also called Classical Hebrew, is an archaic form of the Hebrew language, a language in the Canaanite branch of Semitic languages spoken by the Israelites in the area known as the Land of Israel, roughly west of the Jordan River and east of the Mediterranean Sea. The term "Hebrew" (ivrit) was not used for the language in the Bible, which was referred to as שְֹפַת כְּנַעַן (sefat kena'an, i.e. language of Canaan) or יְהוּדִית (Yehudit, i.e. Judaean), but the name was used in Ancient Greek and Mishnaic Hebrew texts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Hebrew

Obviously wiki isn't always up with common terms.

No problem about finding things. No pressure. I may not be searching in the right place or with the right search words. How's your foot? שבת שלום!

Deleted User 4833

Yes, I saw what Wikipedia says about it.

My foot/ankle is better, still swells up if I'm on it too much. Still doing physical therapy. Thanks for asking.

I had a quick search around and I didn't find too much that's free, to be honest. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem has classes in Biblical Hebrew, but they cost a lot.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I know mango has a Biblical Hebrew course. No idea what the religious ideology involved with it is. That would be free if you have a library that has mango. The free trial I got was quite good.

Take it easy with the ankle especially with all that cleaning for Pesach! I hope you mend well.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:51 pm

@JudieLC I know mango has a Biblical Hebrew course. No idea what the religious ideology involved with it is. That would be free if you have a library that has mango. The free trial I got was quite good.

Take it easy with the ankle especially with all that cleaning for Pesach! I hope you mend well.

I'll check out the Mango course.

Did some cleaning today and my ankle seems okay. But I didn't do my ankle exercises yet, and that always causes some swelling. Thanks for the good wishes.

Return to “Biblical Hebrew”