Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A megnyitó e hét pénteken van

MagyarJános
Hungary

A megnyitó e hét pénteken van

Post by MagyarJános »

I have been seeing this in the Hungarian-to-English, and there is no explanation anywhere on this.
It has appeared in two separate sentences.

A megnyitó e hét pénteken van. - The opening is this Friday.

This "e" by itself - what is it? I tried to ask the Messenger group, and got an explanation in Hungarian, unfortunately.

I know that with time/date the "on" is used a lot, but this is confusing and Duolingo has no way to ask anymore.

Is "e hét pénteken van" shorthand for "ezen a hét pénteken van" ??? If so, I would like to at least continue with longhand.

jzsuzsi

Re: A megnyitó e hét pénteken van

Post by jzsuzsi »

The opening is this Friday.
The opening is on this Friday.

(I prefer the version with "on" but here Duolingo uses without on. Maybe an American thing? )

A [nyitás/megnyitó/megnyitás] e hét péntekjén [van/lesz].
E hét péntekjén [van/lesz] a [nyitás/megnyitó/megnyitás].
[Nyitás/Megnyitó] [ezen a/ezen a héten/e héten/e hét/most/e/] pénteken [van/lesz/].
A [nyitás/megnyitó/megnyitás] [ezen a héten/ezen a/most/e hét/e héten/e/] pénteken [van/lesz].
[Most/Ezen a/Ezen a héten/E hét/E héten/E/] pénteken [van/lesz] a [nyitás/megnyitó/megnyitás].
[Nyitás/Megnyitó] e hét péntekjén [van/lesz/].
[Most/Ezen a/Ezen a héten/E hét/E héten/E/] pénteken [nyitás/megnyitó].
[Most/Ezen a/Ezen a héten/E hét/E héten/E/] pénteken [nyitnak/nyit].
E hét péntekjén [nyitnak/nyit/nyitás/megnyitó].

So, " Ezen a héten pénteken van a megnyitó" works as well.

Sometimes "e" is a shorthand for "ez" . Remember the "a mögött a fa mögött" / "e mögött a fa mögött" constructions?

Return to “Angol”