Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

zu trinken, zum Trinken

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

bach
Germany

zu trinken, zum Trinken

Post by bach »

"zu trinken", infinitive of the verb "trinken", so "to drink". Ok, straight-forward English analogue.

"zum Trinken"? Abbreviation of "zu dem Trinken.", yes?

Literally "to the drinking" (not to the drinks, drinks is Getränken). "Drinking" is a gerund, a verb made into a noun (the "the" in front indicates it must be a noun). Yes?

So, "einen Kaffee zum Trinken" is a coffee to "fill the drink slot". The closest English analogue I can think of is, "as to the drink, I will have a coffee". Yes?

And I imagine in conversation, "zu trinken" and "zum Trinken" sound very similar?

Cifi

Re: zu trinken, zum Trinken

Post by Cifi »

Your question is not so easy to answer, it's more like nuances in many situations.

I'd use "zum Trinken" if it's about the purpose, as in "Dieses Wasser ist nicht zum Trinken, sondern für den Abwasch".

Thinking of "zu essen" vs "zum Essen", the latter could also mean something like "along with the meal", e.g. "Wir trinken abends Wein zum Essen". But that doesn't apply to "zum Trinken", at least I can't think of any sentence that would make sense.

An construction that came to my mind which only works with infinitive:

Jemandem zu essen / zu trinken geben

Last edited by Cifi on Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Friedrich Rubinstein

Post by Friedrich Rubinstein »

Cifi wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:34 am

Jemanden zu essen / zu trinken geben

Jemandem* (:

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Yes, certainly. I'll correct my typo.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Language”