Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Please add Icelandic to Duo courses

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

d4rkfl4me
Kazakhstan

Please add Icelandic to Duo courses

Post by d4rkfl4me »

Hi!
I’m already learning Swedish, Norwegian (Bokmål) and Danish on Duolingo. Do you have any plans to extend this list of Scandinavian languages with Icelandic, so I could complete my magical Scandinavian langs circle?
Thanks!

Stasia
Poland

Re: Please add Icelandic to Duo courses

Post by Stasia »

d4rkfl4me wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi!
I’m already learning Swedish, Norwegian (Bokmål) and Danish on Duolingo. Do you have any plans to extend this list of Scandinavian languages with Icelandic, so I could complete my magical Scandinavian langs circle?
Thanks!

Hi, as far as I know nobody on this forum is involved in any way with people who make these sorts of decisions at Duolingo. (If I am wrong, please make yourself known!).

Hence, you should try to find a way to ask this question to Duolingo, rather than on this forum.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Hi [mention]d4rkfl4me[/mention] , if you succeed in getting an Icelandic course on Duolingo, please let me know. I'd also like to learn Icelandic.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Luis von Ahn, CEO of Duoligo, said this yesterday:

"Luis von Ahn" wrote:

At the moment we aren't adding many new languages, because we are concentrating on improving the languages we do support. One last thing to note is that 50% of our users are learning English, and Spanish and French combined account for another 25%. Most of the languages that people request would account for much less than 1% of our users.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Explorer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:32 pm

Luis von Ahn, CEO of Duoligo, said this yesterday:

"Luis von Ahn" wrote:

At the moment we aren't adding many new languages, because we are concentrating on improving the languages we do support. One last thing to note is that 50% of our users are learning English, and Spanish and French combined account for another 25%. Most of the languages that people request would account for much less than 1% of our users.

This is certainly true. However, all language apps include these baseline packages. What distinguishes Duolingo from most alternatives is that the app (and website version) include languages rarely found elsewhere or to have an English course from lots of languages.

Another advantage of Duolingo is the possibility of laddering from a similar language (you may speak) to the target language.
For example: I prefer learning Portuguese from Spanish (which I speak almost as well as English) and German from my native Dutch.

If the vast majority of users are learning from English, those include a substantial percentage of non-English speakers choosing this course since it is not offered in their native language. Many Europeans are 'laddering' because there is no other way.

Duolingo is now also reducing the offer: Beta courses are no longer supported, unless they are from English.
A few examples are Esperanto from French, Spanish and Portuguese or Guarani only available from Spanish. New users can only enroll if they have the appropriate link (which I posted elsewhere).

In this respect "We are concentrating on improving the languages we do support" is even an overstatement.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

SweNedGuy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:25 pm

Another advantage of Duolingo is the possibility of laddering from a similar language (you may speak) to the target language.
For example: I prefer learning Portuguese from Spanish (which I speak almost as well as English) and German from my native Dutch.

Thanks for explaining what laddering is about! I heard this word many times and had no idea what it meant :ugeek: Now I know that I have been laddering all the time...

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@d4rkfl4me Check out this topic about Icelandic.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Duolingo”