Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Ray Bradbury Topic is solved

gmads
Mexico

Ray Bradbury

Post by gmads »

If you have enjoyed reading any of Ray Bradbury's books, you might then enjoy the following interview from 2010:

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍinteresting

Last edited by gmads on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: Ray Bradbury

Post by Davey944676 »

Interesting, thanks. I''ve read and enjoyed many Bradbury books. I deliberately skipped past a few impending spoilers in that interview, because I've just realised that I don't actually know the ending of Fahrenheit 451 - I started watching the beginning of the film years ago when it randomly came on the television but, tthinking about it, I got distracted by something shiny and wandered off!

I'll probably detour past the library tomorrow to see if they've got a copy in. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Davey944676 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:34 pm

Interesting, thanks. I''ve read and enjoyed many Bradbury books. I deliberately skipped past a few impending spoilers in that interview, because I've just realised that I don't actually know the ending of Fahrenheit 451 - I started watching the beginning of the film years ago when it randomly came on the television but, tthinking about it, I got distracted by something shiny and wandered off!

From the ones you've read, do you have a favorite one? It's been a few decades since I read him, but I do remember enjoying mostly his short stories books, like, The illustrated man or The October country, though I also enjoyed his novels, Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles or Dandelion Wine. As I was never much into espionage novels, I didn't like the novel: Death is a lonely business.

Davey944676 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:34 pm

I'll probably detour past the library tomorrow to see if they've got a copy in. :)

Let's hope you find it! If not, you could try with an ebook.

I have just noticed how much he continued to write... :o

Antinomy - Imagination

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I'm not sure which one is my favourite so far. I've read a selection of his books with no particular pattern. Maybe I'll remember my favourite when I see a shelf-full of them!

For example, I first just randomly plucked a book of his because it had a sci-fi-looking cover - and I like a bit of sci-fi - but it turned out to be one of those collections of mixed short stories.

Anyway, I enjoyed them. Some of those short stories were a bit more "sci-fi-ish" than others, but they were all interesting and unpredictable, so I just kept randomly picking up his books when I saw them. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

gmads wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 pm

If you have enjoyed reading any of Ray Bradbury's books, you might then enjoy the following interview from 2010:

Interesting. I could only read part of the interview, because you have to subscribe to read the rest.

Big fan of Ray Bradbury. I've read pretty much all his older work (some multiple times) but I haven't gotten to some of the more recent work.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:36 pm

Interesting. I could only read part of the interview, because you have to subscribe to read the rest.

Big fan of Ray Bradbury. I've read pretty much all his older work (some multiple times) but I haven't gotten to some of the more recent work.

Too bad. They must recently have made the article suscription-based, as Davey944676 and I were able to read it all. But nothing to worry about, There's a copy at the following page (scroll down to about 75% of the page, or just search for the text, "Interviewed by Sam Weller"):

RAY BRADBURY
Interviewed by Sam Weller

From what I recall, it seems to me that the ending part (maybe like a review of some of his books) of the original article is missing, but the interview itself seems to be complete.

Yes, me too! Those from the 1950's are so enjoyable!

Antinomy - Imagination

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

gmads wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:41 pm

Too bad. They must recently have made the article suscription-based, as Davey944676 and I were able to read it all. But nothing to worry about, There's a copy at the following page (scroll down to about 75% of the page, or just search for the text, "Interviewed by Sam Weller"):

RAY BRADBURY

From what I recall, it seems to me that the ending part (maybe like a review of some of his books) of the original article is missing, but the interview itself seems to be complete.

Thanks for the link. It doesn't link directly to the review, apparently I would have to scroll down quite a bit to find it, which I don't have time to do right now, but I appreciate the effort. :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:28 pm
gmads wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:41 pm

RAY BRADBURY

Thanks for the link. It doesn't link directly to the review, apparently I would have to scroll down quite a bit to find it, which I don't have time to do right now, but I appreciate the effort. :)

Yes, when you have time to read it; just search for "Interviewed by Sam Weller" it will take you immediately to where that interview starts ;)

Cheers!

Antinomy - Imagination

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

@gmads Well, for some reason my local library no longer had any Ray Bradbury books at all, so in the end I downloaded and read a Fahrenheit 451 ebook.

I was half-expecting to find that I had, after all, already seen or read the ending somewhere, but happily I only seemed to have previously seen the beginning - so the ending was as pleasingly unpredictable as Bradbury books tend to be. Cheers for the nudge! :)

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

There has been a BBC Radio 4 series about Walt Disney recently. It turns out that Walt Disney and Ray Bradbury became good friends after a chance meeting, and Bradbury turned out to be a big supporter of Disney pushing ahead with creating Disneyland - when lots of people were telling Disney to forget the whole idea because they thought he would never make it work.

Bradbury was also involved with creating some of the attractions.

So, who knows? Maybe if Disney the driven entrepreneur and Bradbury the fantasy/sci-fi writer hadn't bumped into each other and hit it off, the huge Disneyland brand and empire of today would simply not exist? A bit ike a parallel universe in one of Bradbury's novels! :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Davey944676 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:41 pm

There has been a BBC Radio 4 series about Walt Disney recently. It turns out that Walt Disney and Ray Bradbury became good friends after a chance meeting, and Bradbury turned out to be a big supporter of Disney pushing ahead with creating Disneyland - when lots of people were telling Disney to forget the whole idea because they thought he would never make it work.

Bradbury was also involved with creating some of the attractions.

So, who knows? Maybe if Disney the driven entrepreneur and Bradbury the fantasy/sci-fi writer hadn't bumped into each other and hit it off, the huge Disneyland brand and empire of today would simply not exist? A bit ike a parallel universe in one of Bradbury's novels! :)

Wow! That's surprising! I didn't know that. Thanks!! :)

Exactly. Who knows, but given the lack of support from those around him, it seems like the project probably wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

Antinomy - Imagination

Return to “Random Thoughts”