Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[QANDA] [ARCHIVE] Tröja vs. skjorta

Fnirk1
Sweden

[QANDA] [ARCHIVE] Tröja vs. skjorta

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by EinApfel with helpful replies by skalpadda På Duoling Arkiverat här

EinApfel

I'm confused, because according to Duolingo tröja translates to sweater and skjorta to shirt, but I have some Finnish schoolbooks which translate tröja as cardigan/sweater/shirt and skjorta as a collared shirt or a men's shirt.

Furthermore, at least in some dialects T-shirt is translated as t-tröja.

Is using tröja for a regular shirt acceptable in any variety of Swedish?

skalpadda

Basically anything you pull over your head or close with a zipper is a tröja, while skjorta is a buttoned and collared shirt.

We'd generally call a T-shirt a T-shirt (with English pronunciation) but think of it as a tröja. I don't think I've heard anyone say T-tröja in the last 20 years. :)

EinApfel

Ah, thank you!

I'm starting to realise that the issue may in fact be my own preference to use just the word shirt for what most people would call a long-sleeved t-shirt...

skalpadda

A long-sleeved T-shirt is generally called en långärmad T-shirt in Swedish, but it's also fine to refer to it as a tröja in more general terms. If I spilled coffee on my long-sleeved T-shirt I'd say Hoppsan, jag spillde kaffe på min tröja.

Last edited by Fnirk1 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren844127
Australia

Re: [QANDA] Tröja vs. skjorta

Post by Darren844127 »

Very interesting thanks for sharing!

But SURELY the Swedes have a way of distinguishing a light fabric item from a big wooly warm sweater in the actual Swedish language? Did people actually say T-Tröja for T-Shirts originally, and then it just morphed into the English T-Shirt over time?

Fnirk1
Sweden

Re: [QANDA] Tröja vs. skjorta

Post by Fnirk1 »

Darren844127 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:38 am

But SURELY the Swedes have a way of distinguishing a light fabric item from a big wooly warm sweater in the actual Swedish language? Did people actually say T-Tröja for T-Shirts originally, and then it just morphed into the English T-Shirt over time?

Sure we can distinguish between different types of - tröjor. But normally we don't.

a big wooly warm sweater = ylletröja (en tröja gjord av ylle (wool), and if it has buttons it is most likely en kofta

A few other common words:
fotbollströja
pikétröja
fleecetröja

Yes, there are some Swede using the word T-tröja (simply a T-shaped tröja), but most people use T-shirt. I don't think it's morphed, simply a change in the word people are using.

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Return to “Frågor och svar”