Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"on mange" as "we will eat"??

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Monsieur-Machin

"on mange" as "we will eat"??

Post by Monsieur-Machin »

Recently I've been tripped up a bit with some of the practice questions, for example these two:

The translation of "Will you call me tomorrow?" is given as "Tu m'appelles demain?"
The translation of "Will we eat together tomorrow?" is given as "On mange ensemble demain?"

Why are the correct translations in the present tense in the French version when the English is in the future? When I used the future tense (saying "On mangera ensemble demain?") it was marked wrong, but I don't understand what the rule is for this.

george.packham
France

Re: "on mange" as "we will eat"??

Post by george.packham »

I'm not 100% sure but I think the french use the present tense more boradly than we do. The same way je mange can both I eat and and I am eating. If you translate je mange demain then it would be I eat tomorrow or I am eating tomorrow both of which imply I will eat tomorrow. This isn't an accurate answer but my interporation.

Remember things like tu prends du café is you are having coffee, but by adding a question mark it becomes are you having coffee?, (tu prends du café). French doesn't always translate word for word. Hope this helps

Return to “Questions”