Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Have the bots gone haywire?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

cfh
United States of America

Have the bots gone haywire?

Post by cfh »

Last week I held my Monday practice until just before midnight in hopes of joining a league where people were not churning XP a lot faster than I wanted to. When I posted my first 14 XP that night, many players already had several hundred XP. If we had all joined around the same time, that would not have been possible. Usually when I join, no one in my league has already earned more than 50 XP.

During the week, I repeatedly saw many players suddenly jump up hundreds of XP. When I clicked on their user profiles, the graphs showed they had no XP earned within the last day, inconsistent with their XP totals changes.

As the league deadline approached on Sunday night, there was a cluster of players with around the same point value above and below the cut off line. In a normal week, there would’ve been some shuffling there as people sought to keep their heads above water. But the bots had apparently gone quiet and the usual last minute scramble did not happen.

I can’t confirm that these were bots, but I can confirm that I’ve never had a week like that before and lots of things made me suspicious.

If that happens again, I hope I’ll have the fortitude to ignore the leagues. I found myself choosing activities for points efficiency instead of what made the most sense for my goals.

Deleted User 4833

Re: Have the bots gone haywire?

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Can't speak to the bots. I've often seen people jump up rapidly in numbers of XPs, haven't really worried about how they are doing it, and certainly don't have the time to invest in my daily Duolingo to keep up with them. I do feel like I want to, but I know I can't without giving up other things I need to be doing.

I've taken to doing my daily practice in private, totally takes off the pressure to keep up with the XP-churners. If I want to end the week in a league, I wait till close to the end of the week to join in a league that is much less pressured in terms of how fast learners collect XPs.

branske
Germany

Post by branske »

This is Monday. The first place person now (midday) has over 12,000 XP. Last week the first place person had over 51,000 XP.

When this happens I just give up. I say, well, I’ll try and do one lesson a day but no more because the system is rigged and someone is cheating. I know, I know, I am doing this to learn, and I am, but if the system is unfair, then why have XPs anyway?

Really, they need to sort this.

TerinDAmico
United States of America

Obvious Bot

Post by TerinDAmico »

I busted my tail this week by honestly earning 23.5k xp. I honestly did the work. I'd do a set of lessons to earn the 2X xp bonus and then switch to the listening practice which reinforced the previous lessons. I was comfortably in the #1 spot on Diamond league and watched the #2 shoot up past me. I continued to grind, and watched his xp grow faster than is humanly possible. He racked up around 1500 xp in about 20-30 minutes. You would not be able to do this even with the 2x bonuses. I was able to get 40 xp every 2 minutes or so while I have the 2x bonus, but after 15 minutes, I'd go back to the lessons and have to earn another 15 minutes of 2xp bonus time. Botting obviously ruins the experience for those that are putting in honest effort. I assume Duilingo will probably do nothing about it as long as they get the subscription from these people. Of course, the correct action would be to ban such players from participating in the leagues.

Corinnebelle

Re: Obvious Bot

Post by Corinnebelle »

@TerinDAmico Welcome to Duome! I moved your post to the Duolingo section and merged it with another one about bots. You can try a report on a user suspected of cheating.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@cfh Moved to Duolingo Product forum.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

TerinDAmico
United States of America

Post by TerinDAmico »

______, aka _____ is once again botting. I slowly passed him up in Diamond League and in about 10 minutes he shot up about 1k xp. Sure. He legitimately did 1k xp in about 10 minutes. I'll just keep doing my lessons as designed, but this is really annoying. What's the sense of having leagues when abuses are left unchecked? I did report him.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The usernames published in this post have been edited for privacy reasons in accordance with Duome's terms of use. Thank you for your understanding.
Deleted User 10974

Post by Deleted User 10974 »

@TerinDAmico I know it's hard to do, but let yourself lag for a couple of weeks. Only do what you would be doing if your main focus was to learn a language. 😊
Hard to do I know, but don't even look at the league board.
When you've had a break and want to be competitive again, don't do any lessons until around Thursday to avoid Monday Mania.
If you want a complete break, put your account on private for a while.
www.duolingo.com/settings/privacy
Stay calm and good luck! 👍

branske
Germany

Post by branske »

It’s happening again. The leader in our group amassed 10,000 XP in 30 minutes. What do,you think? Is that really possible unless you are cheating in some way. Maybe Babbel would be better. Not sure. There are other options out there. Of this doesn’t get sorted I’m likely to be moving on . . .

Deleted User 10974

Post by Deleted User 10974 »

@branske You can address this by putting your account on private. Link above ⬆️
The leagues will just completely disappear!

Return to “Duolingo”