Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

if , would Topic is solved

MarjanZahedi

if , would

Post by MarjanZahedi »

This lesson is very difficult to understand. I really appreciate it if someone explains this.
Would
If he would try, duo said uğraşsa
Please explain how to use ‘would’. Is it aorist, is it past or present?
Also I have so much difficulties to figure out how ‘we would have spoken’ translate to ‘Konuşuyor olurduk’

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MustafaOuz526752

Re: if , would

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

1- Well, "will" corresponds to the aorist. So, naturally, "would" corresponds to the past of the aorist.

• Çocukluğumda lunaparka çok giderdik. = In my childhood, we would often go to the amusement park.

• Sınava çalışsaydı yüksek bir not alırdı. = If she had studied for her exam, she would have gotten a good grade.

There is only one instance where "would" will translate into the aorist itself: when you're describing non-past unreal/unlikely hypothetical events.

• Yağmur yağsa arabayla varırız. = If it rained, we would go in the car.

2- It follows this derivation: konuşuyor olmak "to (be) speak(ing)" > konuşuyor olur "will (be) speak(ing)" > konuşuyor olurdu "would have spoken/been speaking".

Last edited by MustafaOuz526752 on Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you so much MustafaOuz

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

MustafaOuz thank you for your explanation. So if would is in the past, why your example is in present tense?
Yağmur yağsa arabayla varırız. = If it rained, we would go in the car.
Both ‘rained’ and ‘would go’ are in the past but both verbs are translated in present!

Also in the lesson:
I wish he would try.
Keşke uğraşsa.
I thought when using keşke and having would, it should be: keşke uğraşsaydı
It is very confusing yet.

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

MarjanZahedi wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:55 pm

MustafaOuz thank you for your explanation. So if would is in the past, why your example is in present tense?
Yağmur yağsa arabayla varırız. = If it rained, we would go in the car.
Both ‘rained’ and ‘would go’ are in the past but both verbs are translated in present!

Yes, I forgot to elaborate on that. I guess I was that slumberous :D If the condition is in the present or future, you have to use the aorist itself.

MarjanZahedi wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:55 pm

Also in the lesson:
I wish he would try.
Keşke uğraşsa.
I thought when using keşke and having would, it should be: keşke uğraşsaydı
It is very confusing yet.

As far as keşke is concerned, things are different because you are no longer describing a condition but rather expressing a wish. The rule is that -sa- expresses your wishes for the present and the future and -saydı-, your wishes for the past.

• Keşke sorumluluk sahibi olsa. = I wish she would be responsible.

• Keşke sorumluluk sahibi olsaydı. = I wish she had been responsible.

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thanks a lot

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Return to “Turkish”