Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Pronounciation of "מחרתיים"

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Friedrich Rubinstein

Pronounciation of "מחרתיים"

Post by Friedrich Rubinstein »

Hi :)

This is what my dictionary says for "the day after tomorrow":

IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG (116.37 KiB) Viewed 283 times

Am I mistaken or does the niqqud not match the phonetic transcription? The phonetic spelling is "mochrotajim" but according to the niqqud it should be "machratajim" (or "mochratajim" as in the brackets), right? The pronounciation of google-translate hasn't helped me clarify it either, they sound more like "mechrateem".

Are there multiple ways to pronounce this word, and/or is there perhaps a most common way to pronounce it?
Thanks!

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: Pronounciation of "מחרתיים"

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:57 pm

Am I mistaken or does the niqqud not match the phonetic transcription? The phonetic spelling is "mochrotajim" but according to the niqqud it should be "machratajim"

The kamatz symbol (אָ) can actually stand for 2 different vowels:

1. קמץ גדול (big kamatz) - pronounced like A. This is the more common one.
  2. קמץ קטן (small kamatz) - pronounced like O. This is less common.

Edit: Your dictionary transliterates a very common pronunciation which is gramatically incorrect, and assumes both the kamatzes are small and pronounced O.

(or "mochratajim" as in the brackets)

This pronunciation is both wrong and uncommon.

The pronounciation of google-translate hasn't helped me clarify it either, they sound more like "mechrateem".

Google is horrible. To me it sounds like "mokhorataYIM" with the stress on the last sylable, which is totally wrong, and nobody ever pronounces it that way.

Are there multiple ways to pronounce this word, and/or is there perhaps a most common way to pronounce it?

Edit: According to the Academy there are 2 correct ways to pronounce it: "mokhoratayim" and "makhoratayim". Both are uncommon. However, native speakers usually pronounce it as either "mokhrotayim" or "makhratayim". Both are gramatically incorrect. I'm not sure though which pronunciation is more common.

We have a similar problem with the word צהריים (noon).

Edit: In this song you can hear the common but gramatically incorrect pronunciation "mokhrotayim". I chose a version with Hebrew subtitles, I hope that will make it easier:

Last edited by EranBarLev on Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Friedrich Rubinstein

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:53 am

The kamatz symbol (אָ) can actually stand for 2 different vowels:

1. קמץ גדול (big kamatz) - pronounced like A. This is the more common one.
  2. קמץ קטן (small kamatz) - pronounced like O. This is less common.

In the word מחרתיים both the kamatzes are small. So formally it should be pronounced "mokhrotayim".

Oh dear. Is there a way to tell whether a kamatz is small or big? Or does one have to learn that individually for every word?

Google is horrible. To me it sounds like "mokhorataYIM" with the stress on the last sylable, which is totally wrong, and nobody ever pronounces it that way.

I agree, Google is horrible. But I don't want to ask here for the pronunciation of every word I am not sure about, lol. This time it was just too different.

There is only one correct way to pronounce it: "mokhrotayim".
However, many native speakers pronounce it as "makhratayim", as if both the kamatzes were big. This is actually wrong, but it's a very common pronunciation. I'm not sure though which pronunciation is more common.

We have a similar problem with the word צהריים (noon).

You are right, my dictionary puts a (small) kamatz in צהריים as well :o I didn't notice before because in the book I am using to learn Hebrew it is spelled צוהוריים.

Thank you for explaining and clarifying this! The people in the song (unsurprisingly) pronounce it way better than google ;)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:29 pm

Oh dear. Is there a way to tell whether a kamatz is small or big? Or does one have to learn that individually for every word?

There are some gramatical rules, but they are complicated with many exceptions. I tried to apply them to the word מחרתיים but I couldn't. (Maybe I'm wrong about this word? I'm not sure anymore.) I think it's easier to learn that individually for each word, as the small kamatz is not very common.

Edit: According to the academy there is a dispute between linguists about certain kamatzes. The first kamatz in מחרתיים is one of them, so this word actually has 2 correct pronunciations.

Last edited by EranBarLev on Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

I have to apologise, I was wrong. I found this article by the Academy of the Hebrew Language:

https://hebrew-academy.org.il/2010/03/2 ... ץ-לפני-חט/

In short:

• The correct niqqud of this word is מָחֳרָתַיִם, with khataf-kamatz, not מָחְרָתַיִם with a shva.
  • There are actually 2 correct pronunciations: either mokhoratayim or makhoratayim. Neither of them is very common.
  • The common pronunciations: mokhrotayim and makhratayim are both gramatically incorrect. :shock:

Friedrich Rubinstein

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:15 pm

I have to apologise, I was wrong. I found this article by the Academy of the Hebrew Language:

In short:

• The correct niqqud of this word is מָחֳרָתַיִם, with khataf-kamatz, not מָחְרָתַיִם with a shva.
  • There are actually 2 correct pronunciations: either mokhoratayim or makhoratayim. Neither of them is very common.
  • The common pronunciations: mokhrotayim and makhratayim are both gramatically incorrect. :shock:

Thank you for summarizing the article, I'm still too bad at Hebrew to be able to read it :(
So there are actually five syllables instead of four in this word? Interesting. To be honest, I have seen that khataf-kamatz before, but I don't know the difference between a normal kamatz and a khataf-kamatz.
I suppose I should stick with the common pronunciation rather than the formally correct one?

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:15 pm

In short:

Interesting. I've been repeating the different pronounciations to myself since reading this post and trying to remember how I've heard people say it.

I thought most people I've heard say it mokhrotayim. But it's possible some people say mokhoratayim so fast that it sounds like mokhrotayim. I can't recall having heard people say it mokhoratayim or makhratayim much at all.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:46 pm

So there are actually five syllables instead of four in this word?

No. Khataf-kamatz, as all the khatafs and shva na, is not considered a syllable on its own, but rather part of the following syllable. So this word actually has four syllables: mo - khora - ta - yim. I know it's weird, but that's how Hebrew grammar works.

To be honest, I have seen that khataf-kamatz before, but I don't know the difference between a normal kamatz and a khataf-kamatz.

Khataf-kamatz is always pronounced O. As I've written above, it's not considered a syllable on it's own.

I suppose I should stick with the common pronunciation rather than the formally correct one?

I guess so... I would especially avoid "makhoratayim" which I've never heard before.

Friedrich Rubinstein

EranBarLev wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:01 am

So there are actually five syllables instead of four in this word?

No. Khataf-kamatz, as all the khatafs and shva na, is not considered a syllable on its own, but rather part of the following syllable. So this word actually has four syllables: mo - khora - ta - yim. I know it's weird, but that's how Hebrew grammar works.

Ohh, alright. That's indeed weird, but I'll remember that.

To be honest, I have seen that khataf-kamatz before, but I don't know the difference between a normal kamatz and a khataf-kamatz.

Khataf-kamatz is always pronounced O. As I've written above, it's not considered a syllable on it's own.

That's good to know. Khataf-kamatz is the only khataf-something that is pronounced noticeably different to the non-khataf version then, right? (I mean, khataf-segol still sounds like "e", khataf-patakh still sounds like "a" and so on I think?)

I guess so... I would especially avoid "makhoratayim" which I've never heard before.

Noted. Thank you!

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 am

Khataf-kamatz is the only khataf-something that is pronounced noticeably different to the non-khataf version then, right? (I mean, khataf-segol still sounds like "e", khataf-patakh still sounds like "a" and so on I think?)

Well, no... All the khatafs are reduced versions of small vowels (תנועות קטנות). The small vowels are: patakh, segol, khiriq khaser, kamatz katan and qubutz. Khataf-kamatz is a reduced version of kamatz katan, and sounds exactly like it - O.

Friedrich Rubinstein

EranBarLev wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:37 am
Friedrich Rubinstein wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 am

Khataf-kamatz is the only khataf-something that is pronounced noticeably different to the non-khataf version then, right? (I mean, khataf-segol still sounds like "e", khataf-patakh still sounds like "a" and so on I think?)

Well, no... All the khatafs are reduced versions of small vowels (תנועות קטנות). The small vowels are: patakh, segol, khiriq khaser, kamatz katan and qubutz. Khataf-kamatz is a reduced version of kamatz katan, and sounds exactly like it - O.

Oh, right, only kamatz gadol is the "a". Gee, these niqqud are more complicated than I thought :P
Thank you for your patience in explaining it though.

Return to “Alefbet”