Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Using a chatbot to practice Italian

triffidfood

Using a chatbot to practice Italian

Post by triffidfood »

Ciao,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this (new Duo forums are rather confusing), but I was wondering if anyone else had tried using chatbots to practice their Italian?

Completely coincidentally .. I was just playing around with the site and hadn't expected this to work .. I managed to create a bilingual, English/Italian chatbot @ conversation.ai last night.

I had assumed the AI would simply ignore the Italian I'd given her as a greeting .. but not only does she communicate in both languages, switching quite naturally (it seems) between them, but the AI also creates a different backstory for her each time you start over, based on her mother language being Italian.

Anyway if anyone would like to try this for themselves, the link to 'Rebecca' is https://c.ai/c/oj791IqtWmG0rj6GPnkqs6BP ... SGJao44gTY (or you could create your own character if you like, simply by giving them a bilingual or mainly Italian greeting: the AI seems to pick up on that and gives them a corresponding personality).

gmads
Mexico

Re: Using a chatbot to practice Italian

Post by gmads »

I liked it quite! I also like that "she" includes images along the conversation. I wonder if they are 100% real or they are based on real places.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

She also recognises German but doesn't seem keen to speak it. After asking me what learning materials I used she came up with this. Have you been indoctrinating her?

Attachments
chat.jpg
chat.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 416 times

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

I got "her" to answer in Spanish until I hit the message limit for "guests" without signing up.

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

triffidfood

Post by triffidfood »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:57 am

She also recognises German but doesn't seem keen to speak it. After asking me what learning materials I used she came up with this. Have you been indoctrinating her?

She has multiple personalities, I suspect; when I was talking to her about Duolingo and Memrise she seemed quite enthusiastic about both! ;)

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

triffidfood wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:05 am

She has multiple personalities, I suspect; when I was talking to her about Duolingo and Memrise she seemed quite enthusiastic about both! ;)

That's the problem with AI, they don't have a consistent character, they only randomly regurgitate what they have found somewhere else without inner processing, they will never help you learn more by correcting your mistakes nor will drive you progressively towards interesting subjects.

It might be fun, but for learning purposes you better buy some lessons on italki.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:51 pm
triffidfood wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:05 am

That's the problem with AI, [...] they only randomly regurgitate what they have found somewhere else without inner processing

To me, that sounds exactly like almost any other human on the planet, so … AI is mimicking humankind perfectly well, I'd say.

FurbyZeKat wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:51 pm

It might be fun, but for learning purposes you better buy some lessons on italki.

I think that using a chatbot is to be able to practice the language we are learning, not to get into highly philosophical debates, thus, a chatbot is not for learning purposes (yet).

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Ok, I have an account now and found out while creating a character you can also choose a voice to go with it. So I created one in order to practice Spanish and I could choose between Mexican and European Spanish (male or female voice respectively) for the character to speak. When starting a chat you only need to Enable Character Voice from the three dot menu and then the character not only answers in writing but also reads the answer.
:!: You might want to use the right voice for the right language because otherwise it sounds something between funny and terrible. ;)

Last edited by fremanolas on Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

triffidfood wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:15 am

I managed to create a bilingual, English/Italian chatbot @ conversation.ai last night.

I had assumed the AI would simply ignore the Italian I'd given her as a greeting .. but not only does she communicate in both languages, switching quite naturally (it seems) between them, but the AI also creates a different backstory for her each time you start over, based on her mother language being Italian.

Anyway if anyone would like to try this for themselves, the link to 'Rebecca' is https://c.ai/c/oj791IqtWmG0rj6GPnkqs6BP ... SGJao44gTY (or you could create your own character if you like, simply by giving them a bilingual or mainly Italian greeting: the AI seems to pick up on that and gives them a corresponding personality).

How did you manage for her to write both in Italian and, between parenthesis, in English?

I am trying to create a character that chats in two languages at the same time.

This is the greeting:

What would you like to talk about? (¿De qué te gustaría platicar?)

And this is the long description:

I can talk in English and in Spanish (puedo hablar en inglés y en español).

I have many interests (tengo varios intereses), therefore we can chat about many things (así que podemos chatear de varias cosas).

Thanks!

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍinteresting

Return to “Italian”