Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Shock horror!

John Little
Brazil

Shock horror!

Post by John Little »

Edervandes, who joined in the same month as me (July 2021) and rapidly rose to the diamond league and stayed there, in the number one spot, for the next year, has dropped down to the obsidian league!!!!! 73 top three finishes most of them no1 in the diamond league.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Re: Shock horror!

Post by John Little »

Just checked and his streak has dropped to 0. I hope he's ok. There's no way to check, that I know

John661162

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]John Little[/mention] ,

.... or maybe he didn't want to practice with a snake ( because it's no pleasure) and gave up further learning himself... :(

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:12 pm

Hi, @John Little ,

.... or maybe he didn't want to practice with a snake ( because it's no pleasure) and gave up further learning himself... :(

That is a fair point. I hadnt thought of that.

John661162

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]John Little[/mention]

• Last Streak: 535 · lost 53 days ago

No big surprise.
He was doing volunteer contributor courses like Italian or French from PT.

Edervandes is not registered here on the Duome forum, so we can't tell him to use Android app V5.52.5 or similar (5.6x.x) to go back to the tree.

I don't find my PT course (from English) very usuable with lost dedicated grammar- and verb tense skills on the Web so I'm using the app.

So it's very understandable to me that he simply gave up as a native Portuguese speaker.

Exception would be the - quite long - English from Portuguese course which is already aligned with CEFR and uses as a staff-created course a very different design, more themes/vocabulary oriented, less formal grammar teaching (like French and Spanish from EN courses).
In that case a very different snake structure doesn't matter that much...

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Whilst I hope Edervandes is OK, it might simple be that he has chosen a different form of " entertainment ".
I have in the past been a regular contributor on Flickr forums for photography. Used VK forums for years. Used Tandem and Busuu for helping users learn English. Maybe it is in my nature that I can simple walk away and never look back.

I am certainly not like it in my real life. It is strange to me that I can feel an affinity with a stranger online. I have given bonus points to a young girl learning English on Duolingo. I have no idea if she would even realise that I have tried to encourage her.

Does this happen with anyone else ?

Has anyone searched for Edervandes online elsewhere?

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:52 pm

I don't find my PT course (from English) very usuable with lost dedicated grammar- and verb tense skills on the Web so I'm using the app.

The tree on Duome has links to the snake for all of the skills, including grammar and tense skills. Can you check that? What exactly was lost?

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:52 pm

Exception would be the English from Portuguese course which CEFR and uses as a staff created course a very different design, more themes/vocabulary, less formal grammar teaching.
In that case a very different snake structure doesn't matter that much...

Reverse trees became useless because the stories are now mandatory and can't be skipped, and it's a waste of time doing stories in English.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:43 am

The tree on Duome has links to the snake for all of the skills, including grammar and tense skills.

I'll have to check that out. Before the snake I was also choosing various "tense" lessons from the tree to practice......

Edit:. Right. Tried that and although you can choose a tense on the old tree, it doesnt direct you to the equivalent part of the snake. Which would be handy.

John661162

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

John Little wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 am

Tried that and although you can choose a tense on the old tree, it doesnt direct you to the equivalent part of the snake.

I guess this is something [mention]duome[/mention] has to fix.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

duome

Post by duome »

It's best if you provide your Duolingo uername, the language pair in question, what skills you click and where are they supposed to take you on your path, preferrably with screenshots (skill names alone may not be enough to give a precise answer right away, but it's a lot easier if I can take a look at your tree vs your path).

buho

Post by buho »

Steve579062 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 pm

Does this happen with anyone else ?

yes. I sometimes wonder what the other guy might think(if he/she's human at all).

Steve579062 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 pm

Has anyone searched for Edervandes online elsewhere?

leads me back to this forum :lol:

ddg.jpg
ddg.jpg (215.76 KiB) Viewed 376 times
John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

duome wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:59 pm

It's best if you provide your Duolingo uername, the language pair in question, what skills you click and where are they supposed to take you on your path, preferrably with screenshots (skill names alone may not be enough to give a precise answer right away, but it's a lot easier if I can take a look at your tree vs your path).

Im John661162

John661162

Return to “Random Thoughts”