Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

«Lillesøsteren min mistet fyrstikkene i søla» Topic is solved

Moderator: SansEspoir

weerwater

«Lillesøsteren min mistet fyrstikkene i søla»

Post by weerwater »

DL: My little sister dropped the matches in the mud.

Compare this to:
«Roboten mister bevisstheten.»
«Han mister aldri knivene sine.»
«Hva skjer når en sjøstjerne mister en arm.»

Á miste seems to imply: losing something (and missing it).

Could / would 'miste' indeed be applied by Norwegians also when talking of just dropping (and picking it up)?

spencer1411
United States of America

Re: «Lillesøsteren min mistet fyrstikkene i søla»

Post by spencer1411 »

å miste is as much "to misplace" as "to lose", and you can definitely use it for dropping something. I believe there are also other examples in the duo course such as «Han mistet hamburgeren sin i bakken» or similar.

Native 🇺🇸 | Learning 🇳🇴 | Rusty 🇪🇸 🇩🇪

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

doing exact match searches for common situations is usually a quick and easy way to see if things are used by natives.

for example, the phrase that popped into my head was "dropped my phone in the toilet."

• "mistet mobilen i do"
  • "mista mobilen i do"

and you can immediately find instances of the verb being used for that meaning, such as this tv2 article: https://www.tv2.no/underholdning/tv-2-h ... /13110639/

Olav
Norway

Post by Olav »

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

anamorphism wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:38 am

doing exact match searches for common situations is usually a quick and easy way to see if things are used by natives.

Indeed, good tip - when time.

I tried to find out more on the content of this sentence like that: What kind of 'søla' would be destructive for matches...
Visualising a family 'på tur' crossing the 'myr' ...
would that be a combination of words that brings up hits .... Yes! Søla can indeed be -wet- mud.

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”