Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Are French People Rude Myth | Is It true?

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Corinnebelle

Are French People Rude Myth | Is It true?

Post by Corinnebelle »

An article about the stereotype and the truth:

https://elitefrenchtutoring.com/are-french-people-rude/

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Are French People Rude Myth | Is It true?

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

When I read this article, it seems to me that it would be almost as valid if it were written about Germans or English people.

As far as I know, the main difference between the US and Europe is the fact that there is nowhere in Europe (in Germany you could probably find it in Cologne bars) a small talk culture as in the USA.

In Germany, as we have the same small talk culture, namely none, France is linked with the term "savoir vivre ": sunshine, red wine (good wine and a lot of it) and good food.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I'll report my finding when I visit in April. I am touring Northern France and across to Bruges.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Steve579062 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:30 am

I'll report my finding when I visit in April. I am touring Northern France and across to Bruges.

I'm looking forward to your report. Where are you from?

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:34 am

I'm looking forward to your report. Where are you from?

I'm from UK. Crossing in to France via Euro Tunnel with my Brother and his Dog. Not bothered if I cross back without either. :lol:

I read the link about French being rude. I think that the lack of small talk will suit me. I'm tell work colleagues that I'm not anti social, I just don't like people. :P

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]Steve579062[/mention] If you are British you will probably not notice anything rude about us continental Europeans...

xMegalo
France

Post by xMegalo »

Notice than metropolitan France is great (I mean geometrically, the surface is big) and the culture is not homogeneous at all. From my experience, Parisians are more touchy when they talk (often to much in my sense), when around Toulouse lots of people use “con” as an interjection, without considering it as an injury.

Also It seems the article mainly compare to Americans. I think American culture is very different from European culture. For me American often seems completely un-understandable, while British, for example, are more closer, at least when they don’t cook.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

@Steve579062 have you been to France in April?

Nathalie
France

Post by Nathalie »

In my experiences, first as a frequent visitor and now as a resident of France, French people are definitely not as friendly as Americans but they're definitely not rude, if "rude" means impolite.

• "Vous" is always used in conversation unless it's between friends, family members, or to address young children. From collège (middle school / junior high in American system) and up, teachers use the "vous" form when talking to students, both individual and in a group. They may scold the student, but they do it in "vous" form. That's French politeness.

• Between people who interact with one another on a daily basis (the boulanger from whom you buy bread every day, the hair stylist who cuts your hair every 4 weeks, the staff at the café who knows what you want to order before you open your mouth), "vous" is always used no matter how long they've known you. That's French politeness.

• Monsieur and Madame are always used to address or to speak about a person. For example, instead of the simple question "Voudrait-il la même chose ?", the French would say, "Monsieur voudrait-il la même chose ?" Monsieur or Madame instead of "he" or "she". That's French politeness.

• When approaching a person, it's mandatory to say "bonjour", then wait to be acknowledged before asking your question. It's also mandatory to say "merci, au revoir, bonne journée" when the conversation ends. The same routine (with or without the "merci") applies when entering and leaving a store / restaurant / the bank / doctor's waiting room / elevator, etc. (and don't forget to greet the bus driver!) That's French politeness.

So why do people think the French is rude? Perhaps because they're not smiling upon seeing you as Americans do (smiling at strangers is definitely not the French way, and that has nothing to do with being friendly or rude); because you didn't follow the vous and the "bonjour, merci, au revoir, bonne journée" rules of conduct (you're the rude person in this case); because the too-casual way you dress in public; because you speak too loud (best to use inside voice even when you're outside); because you eat or drink while walking around; etc.

When you're in another country, you're a guest of that country; you're the person who must adhere to the rules of the house, not the hosts who should change their customs for you. Don't hold on to the thinking that they need you because you bring in tourist money. Be polite, and you'll be treated with politeness.

Note: Except for a short return to the States, my husband and I have been living abroad (in different countries) since 2001. We've also visited almost 70 countries since 1969. What I wrote above are the same things I've found in many other countries, not just France.

Last edited by Nathalie on Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulbottle

Post by paulbottle »

I am off to the south of France (Peyriac de mer, near Narbonne) for a month in a few days. My french should be better so hopefully I will be speaking to more locals, more generally. So I should get an idea of general rudeness. In the past I have found the French to be more direct rather than rude. They will answer yes or no and not try to give information they haven't got, unlike us , the English, who are often so polite they cannot say "I do not know" and think they are being helpful.

paulbottle

Post by paulbottle »

Just got back yesterday. I didn't find any real rudeness at all. The people I met were generally friendly and helpfull. Too much so really, as soon as I got the B of bon jour out they would speak english. I did manage a few encounters totally in French such as buying stamps or ordering meals etc which was good. Still a long way to go though!

Anyway, we had a great time and I would encourage everyone who gets the chance to visit France to take it. Narbonne is a beautiful and historic city, so hopefully we will get back some time.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

paulbottle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:14 pm

...The people I met were generally friendly and helpfull. Too much so really, as soon as I got the B of bon jour out they would speak english. I did manage a few encounters totally in French such as buying stamps or ordering meals etc which was good. .

Being German might be an advantage here.

Next week in France I can pretend that my French is better than my English...

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

Like anywhere else, it varies. If you are American and expect the wait staff at a good restaurant to dote on you expecting a tip, prepare to be disappointed., and expect some frank exchanges. In my experience, Paris is probably the worst, but they have come a long way in the last 40 years.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Return to “Culture & Society”