Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Any idea when new Arabic units will be added?

Moderators: The_lost, Jacko079

JudieLC
United States of America

Re: Any idea when new Arabic units will be added?

Post by JudieLC »

I did find the tips on Duome a while back, thanks [mention]gmads[/mention]. And yes, I believe Arabic course was contributor created.

I’m actually surprised at how well I do in the Arabic lessons, as I often feel like I’m floundering. It probably helps that I recognize some words from having heard them at home. And the similarities with Hebrew (and Aramaic, which I also know a little of) where they exist, also help.

Really makes me wondering how someone going in “cold” with no familiarity at all with the Arabic language, would do. (Probably as poorly as I’ve done in Japanese, which I think I may have given up on. :D )

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

JudieLC wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:50 pm

Really makes me wondering how someone going in “cold” with no familiarity at all with the Arabic language, would do. (Probably as poorly as I’ve done in Japanese, which I think I may have given up on. :D )

I did it. It was difficult when the first real sentences appeared, but then it was ok, still difficult because the Arabic language is very different from everything I knew. Thanksfully, at this time there were tips and especially the duolingo forums where you could ask questions when stuck. I wonder how a beginner could manage it now. The common user without reddit, duome or discord is left alone.

I was disappointed when I reached the end because the course is way too short and there was no spoken exercices nor written exercices.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

I may be able to tell you when I return to my Arabic lessons :D Although I'm afraid I'll have to start all over again :cry: However, I think I'll have an easier time with the Russian ones 8-)

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:06 pm

I did it. It was difficult when the first real sentences appeared, but then it was ok, still difficult because the Arabic language is very different from everything I knew. Thanksfully, at this time there were tips and especially the duolingo forums where you could ask questions when stuck. I wonder how a beginner could manage it now. The common user without reddit, duome or discord is left alone.

I was disappointed when I reached the end because the course is way too short and there was no spoken exercices nor written exercices.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look for something to supplement my learning when I finish the Duolingo course.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 pm
JudieLC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 pm

I looked at Mondly a little while ago and the first lessons they showed me were definitely not what I’d consider a beginning level. I’m not at a beginning level so that’s okay. Didn’t have time to evaluate whether I’ll like it or not.

My son suggested Mango, but I don’t think it has a free version. He’s using it to learn Russian. He’s already studied Arabic on a variety of platforms (including in person classes) for a number of years, but I don’t know if if ever used Mango for Arabic.

If you belong to a library that has a Mango account, you can get Mango for free.

https://www.freelanguage.org/learn-arabic

https://www.livelingua.com/project/dli/arabic/msa

My library does have Mango. Just signed up. Thanks for the tip!

My library also has Rosetta Stone. May look into that at some point, too.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I'm still doing Mondly, which is useful, except I don't understand why they're teaching me the particular set of items they're teaching me. Looks like stuff I'd need if I was taking a vacation to an Arabic speaking country.

Language Drops is okay, but I sometimes forget what they're pictorial representations of words/phrases are, so I get stuff wrong that way. And when they highlight the correct answer, they don't also give you the meaning, so I find that a bit annoying.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] סבבה!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Resources”