Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

cocina delicioso

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

ElmerRamone
United States of America

cocina delicioso

Post by ElmerRamone »

I just came across this word pairing, and it confused me. So I looked it up on spanishdict.com and here are some examples of usage:

1. Sí, el cocinero las cocina delicioso. (Trans: yes, he prepares them beautifully.)
  2. Mi esposa cocina delicioso. (My wife is a wonderful cook.)
  3. Mi mamá cocina delicioso. (My mom, she's a pretty awesome cook.)

How are we new learners supposed to deal with this? None of this makes any logical sense to me. I know, just go with it and don't get bogged down in literal translations, but still... This is too much for my aching head.

gmads
Mexico

Re: cocina delicioso

Post by gmads »

ElmerRamone wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:27 am

I just came across this word pairing, and it confused me. So I looked it up on spanishdict.com and here are some examples of usage:

1. Sí, el cocinero las cocina delicioso. (Trans: yes, he prepares them beautifully.)
  2. Mi esposa cocina delicioso. (My wife is a wonderful cook.)
  3. Mi mamá cocina delicioso. (My mom, she's a pretty awesome cook.)

How are we new learners supposed to deal with this? None of this makes any logical sense to me. I know, just go with it and don't get bogged down in literal translations, but still... This is too much for my aching head.

I don't know where did you get those translations from, but they are wrong and they are definitely the reason you are getting confused or troubled about the "cocina delicioso" phrase.

• in this case, "cocina" is the indicative, third person singular conjugation of the verb "cocinar": él/ella cocina (he/she cooks)

• in this case, "delicioso" is working here as an adverb because it is qualifying the verb "cocina" (it is telling how s/he cooks)

Therefore, the correct English translations should be:

• sí, el cocinero las cocina delicioso → yes, the cook cooks them deliciously

• mi esposa/mamá cocina delicioso → my wife/mom cooks deliciously

The word "delicioso" can also work as an adjective, in which case it would qualify a noun. For example:

• él cocina un estofado delicioso → he cooks a delicious stew

The English translations you put I would translate them into Spanish like so:

1. yes, he prepares them beautifully → sí, él las prepara bellamente
  2. my wife is a wonderful cook → mi esposa es una cocinera maravillosa
  3. my mom, she's a pretty awesome cook → mi mamá, ella es una cocinera bastante impresionante

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍgramática ㆍenglish ㆍgrammar

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

gmads, thank you so much for trying to ease my mental congestion. I got these translations from spanishdict.com. Your translations make things all sparkly again. I understand that languages aren't lateral conversions, and a certain amount of liberty must be given, but this went a little too far for me. There has to be some common sense. I don't know why a platform like spanishdict would offer such a loose answer to someone still learning. It's not really helpful. Thank goodness for these fora. Again, thanks.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

ElmerRamone wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm

gmads, thank you so much for trying to ease my mental congestion. I got these translations from spanishdict.com. Your translations make things all sparkly again. I understand that languages aren't lateral conversions, and a certain amount of liberty must be given, but this went a little too far for me. There has to be some common sense. I don't know why a platform like spanishdict would offer such a loose answer to someone still learning. It's not really helpful. Thank goodness for these fora. Again, thanks.

You're welcome. Good to know I helped. Yes, those translations were a bit off... to say the least :D Maybe they are doing the same as Duolingo? Having volunteers doing all the translations?

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Language”