Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

It's not easy going down!

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

John Little
Brazil

It's not easy going down!

Post by John Little »

I don't mean that going down is hard to take, although it might be if you are still at the competetive stage, I mean it literally isn't easy keeping in the demotion zone while still maintaining your streak and completing the monthly challenge.

I recently changed my profile back to public and was pleased to see I had unknowingly dropped down from Diamond, and out the bottom of the Obsidian into Pearl.

This inspired me to see how low I could go and still do a daily practice and complete the monthly challenge. Today, I am second in the demotion zone but perilously close to going up. I could only manage one practice today but still need 66 XP to complete the November challenge before my birthday next Wednesday.

John661162

IceVajal
Germany

Re: It's not easy going down!

Post by IceVajal »

I'm happy not to be into competitions when it's about language learning. A streak is nice, but losing it isn't the end of the world.
I just got back to Memrise after a longer break and realized I remember most of what I learned there. And that what counts for me.

Hope you manage to complete your challenge!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

It depends entirely on which league cohort you’ve been placed in. For a while i was being demoted even though I was doing at least 1800 points in a week, had an ongoing streak, doing the daily challenges.

This week I am in an easier league, I’ve been number 1 for most of the week, am now number two with only 1220 points. People in the demotion zone have less than 230 points.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I am really struggling in my quest to get back to bronze. While some people are still getting 1,000 XP a day, those in my current league are really dragging their heels.

I'm already in the promotion zone with under 100xp but if I do any less, I will lose my very first monthly challenge. I've only got 300xp this month and only 21 days to go.

I might have to resort to doubles towards the end.

John661162

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I didn’t do Duolingo for two years at all. I was in the Diamond league when I quit. I was very surprised when I came and found I had only dropped to the Emerald league.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Well, its Friday. I was promoted to the emerald last week and, with only 116xp at number 16, I look like staying here. Number 30 has 50xp and number 1, 443xp.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I started in the Ruby league last Sunday and managed to get to number 30 at the bottom then left the league on Monday.

Today I rejoined the league to find that, without trying to, I was now number 1. I did a lesson this morning and was taken aback as my name shot all the way up from 30 to 1. And still with only 390 xp for the week. Number 30 has 57xp.

I think I'll try leaving the league tonight before doing a lesson then see what happens when I rejoin next Sunday.

John661162

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

John Little wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:43 am

I started in the Ruby league last Sunday and managed to get to number 30 at the bottom then left the league on Monday.

Today I rejoined the league to find that, without trying to, I was now number 1. I did a lesson this morning and was taken aback as my name shot all the way up from 30 to 1. And still with only 390 xp for the week. Number 30 has 57xp.

I think I'll try leaving the league tonight before doing a lesson then see what happens when I rejoin next Sunday.

Keep us posted. I'm interested in all these machinations. ;)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Well, I just (Sunday morning) made my profile public again after leaving last Sunday and did a 5XP practice but it wont let me join a league untill the next one starts at 10pm tonight .

However I am told that I am currently in Emerald, as expected, having graduated from Ruby last Sunday.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I have just rejoined early on Thursday morning. I am number 8 out of 8 people having done a practice for 5 points. Number 1 has 40xp with a 1 day streak!

However, this time, the xp I have already earned this week hasn't counted. Last time i joined late, they were, and I rocketed up the league in a moment.

Edit: Just looked again and Im now number 10 and with 401 xp on my graph for the last 7 days, my graph is way above the others.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Having made my way back up from Gold to Diamond, my new strategy has been to keep between 15 and 11 in the league each week.

The plan is to keep in an average, less competitive league and thereby remain in the Diamond league with not too much effort. However. I'm having a similar problem now to before but instead of fighting to get to the demotion zone, the league is getting easier and easier each week so I'm now fighting to keep my XP low enough to keep me out of the top ten.

I actually want to do more lessons than I have been but the system keeps matching me with low scorers! I haven't done any doubles for weeks and have to wait until the fifteen minutes is up before carrying on.

This is our number one this week. I am number 9.

Screenshot_20231207-113139.png
Screenshot_20231207-113139.png (149.49 KiB) Viewed 470 times

John661162

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

John Little wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:28 am

Having made my way back up from Gold to Diamond, my new strategy has been to keep between 15 and 11 in the league each week.

The plan is to keep in an average, less competitive league and thereby remain in the Diamond league with not too much effort. However. I'm having a similar problem now to before but instead of fighting to get to the demotion zone, the league is getting easier and easier each week so I'm now fighting to keep my XP low enough to keep me out of the top ten.

I actually want to do more lessons than I have been but the system keeps matching me with low scorers! I haven't done any doubles for weeks and have to wait until the fifteen minutes is up before carrying on.

I like how you always set yourself little tasks like this.

I also had this problem recently when I wanted to avoid getting into diamond tournament. I was doing more busuu then.
At the moment I'm not threatened by it. Then I don't care which place I'm in.
Usually I'm aiming for something between 8 and 15. But if the league is very easy I can get among the first three. Then next week will automatically be something about 15.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

John Little wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:28 am

This is our number one this week. I am number 9.
Screenshot_20231207-113139.png

Same here. One time I got in into the tournament unfortunately while I was sick and I did not have the energy to do the tournament however it was quite easy to get demoted back into the diamond league again XD. However, I haven’t seen the opportunity to get into the tournament since.

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

Return to “Duolingo”