Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

New website look

Saperlipopette!

New website look

Post by Saperlipopette! »

New website look

It was maybe a week ago I noticed the new website look. The changes are minor. I chose to get screen shots of the desktop view in chrome because the desktop view has the most fun stuff on it.

I put a red rectangle around the new or rearranged things. If you click on the streak you get the calendar, which I don't think used to be here. The one thing I miss is the notifications. I used to get notified of a new follower, and of the 10% gems bonus on the tens.

![](

I like the weekly XP progress chart very much. They got rid of a similar chart on the app layout for me because I'm in schools. It's pretty useful. 300 XP is a good target because it usually means: 15 lessons and two timers. Saturday was a bonkers day because I had the half hour timer due to Friends Quest and I did the timer during Happy Hour. I did ten lessons in Happy Hour and nine of them were on the timer. That means 50XP for doing lessons in Happy hour and 45 of those fifty doubled due to the timer.

Monday was not a good Duolingo day but I had jury duty & I didn't feel like doing any lessons at the courthouse. On Tuesday I missed a timer, c'est la vie. I think I did a dozen lessons on each of those two down days. I just feel more motivated to do lessons under gimmicks.

Profile Page

I like to check the profile page maybe once a day. A subset of notifications that I get on the news feed are available in the Friends Update tab. Here is where I can see if I got a new follower if my memory is good. About a month ago I blocked 15 IDs to get the number down to 140. I blocked ids that weren't active for a while (-- I checked them on Duome). I figure if they ever come back they won't remember me so nothing is lost; and the likelihood of them coming back anyways is miniscule.

![](

Of the 28 I followed, 27 followed me. One guy I followed because I think we have the same last name, and he didn't follow me back because he probably can't figure out why I follow him. He's never followed anyone on Duolingo as far as I can tell. Vingt-huit is a good number because that's the number of reactions I got the last time I got something on the news feed. Half of the 28 reactions came from people who I followed.

Achievements

I checked the achievements on the web and noticed the new-fangled achievements are not there.

![](

The lavender circle with the ellipses has some useful things that I didn't get screen shots of. I can adjust notifications, change settings like the daily goal, and go to schools, podcasts, and the help center. The big thing I would like them to do with podcasts is have a list of all of them on the French course so I could tick them off as I complete them. The second thing is to fix the written transcripts when they don't match the audio.

Using the web

I mainly use the web for my first two lessons of the day. For the first lesson I get that enormous lingot award on the tens. The second one gives me my daily goal and a lingot award. It's kind of cheating because Friends Quest usually has 50 XP as the first quest.

I set the daily goal to 20 to get lingots on the web for meeting the daily goal. I then get gems on the app for meeting the Quest Goal that is 50 XP. I think it's a good thing to at least do two lessons a day on the web.

I also use the web for the practice lessons on the snake because it used to award only five XP on the app for them. It's those practice lessons that somewhat bridge the gap from three levels on the snake to the old five levels on the tree, so they shouldn't be worth 5XP. I should check to see if they fixed that, but I'm reticent to do so because XP on the lesson complete screen is not equal to the XP awarded in Duo for schools & Duo Me on the App.

Sometimes I'll do regular lessons on the web too because the XP is the same. The capstone review, I'll usually do that on the app because of the timer reward.

Sometimes I get ten extra XP to write about a story. I wish they kept those on file. I know I've written better recaps of stories over time. I think that function, to write about stories, is on the web.

One thing I miss is the speaking mode for stories but you can't have everything. The other thing I miss from the tree is the checkpoint quizzes. Both were web-only functions in 2022 until the snake dropped them.

uralicnomad
Hungary

Re: New website look

Post by uralicnomad »

Can't say I'm a fan of having to go to your profile to see the friends updates. Perhaps I'm just a grumpy bum tho.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

They keep making the website less and less user-friendly

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

Thijmen98
Netherlands

Post by Thijmen98 »

I don't know when they did this, but apparently they even took away the possibility to write your answers when practising new lessons. Now you can only choose the words and put them in the right order (in the website). I don't understand why they can't even keep such a simple options for those who want some more challenge having to type everything themselves to learn from your mistakes instead of brainlessly clicking on words. They are literally taking away the few last decent features Duolingo had left. Anyone else who noticed this? Isn't there a way to get this option back?

Native 🇳🇱 / Speaking 🇬🇧 🇩🇪 🇫🇷 / Learning 🇦🇷 🇳🇴 🇮🇹

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

It varies for me. Sometimes I'm given the option to type and sometimes I'm not.
And clicking on words in a word bank isn't necessarily brainless, just saying. ;)

When I'm launching lessons off my Duome progress page I'm often given the option to type.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@thijmen98

See this thread "Unable to use my keyboard anymore only a word bank":

viewtopic.php?t=9837-unable-to-use-my-k ... stop-using

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

I just noticed that my streak wager had disappeared with the new website rollout, did anyone else have the same ?

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

My streak wager is still there.

Saperlipopette!

I still have the wager, even though I don't use it in either place, web or app.

![](

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

uralicnomad wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:28 am

I just noticed that my streak wager had disappeared with the new website rollout, did anyone else have the same ?

Yes, it disappears for me too. Even though I can buy it in the shop, it doesn't show on duome that I have it. And I don't get any lingots when I fulfill it either, so I stopped buying it now.

Still debating whether or not to completely quit Duo in 3 days, when I get my 1000 day streak.

Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

SansEspoir wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:39 am

Yes, it disappears for me too. Even though I can buy it in the shop, it doesn't show on duome that I have it. And I don't get any lingots when I fulfill it either, so I stopped buying it now.

Still debating whether or not to completely quit Duo in 3 days, when I get my 1000 day streak.

Just before I jumped over here, I logged in to duo and purchased another wager, hopefully it will work again. It will be more interesting to see if you get any lingots for hitting that 1000 day streak, which in itself is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!

Hopefully there are other apps out there which are as good, if not better in your chosen languages

Saperlipopette!

People are sorts describing why I don't use the streak wager. I found it unreliable. Duo can't fix anything unless I give them specific steps on how to recreate the error & I never made the time to do any investigation with streak wagers bugs.

I found a new type of challenge on the web-- it's actually an old challenge --but I hadn't been seeing since the switch to the snake in august until maybe a week ago.

I don't think the web had English tiles in the Fr-En course on the tree so it used to be a common enough challenge on the web for them to give you a French sentence & you had to give them the English. With the snake I got English tiles so I stopped getting these free-form English challenges. I got these four in a hearts practice that chose sixteen questions from the old skill 8.27 Family.

![](

![](

![](

![](

The downfall is you have to remember the specific English translation for each word or locution or deal with it in some other way or you take your chances.

I haven't been getting these on new lessons in the last week but on fair number of lessons from hearts practice or practicing old, already completed lessons on the snake.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

uralicnomad wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Just before I jumped over here, I logged in to duo and purchased another wager, hopefully it will work again. It will be more interesting to see if you get any lingots for hitting that 1000 day streak, which in itself is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!

Hopefully there are other apps out there which are as good, if not better in your chosen languages

Just completed it, and DuoMe updated my lingots count, so I guess it works?

It didn't show up on DuoLingo right away, though. Seems I had to visit in a new browser window for it to catch on. Did not get a notification, just the screen.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

SansEspoir wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:11 am

(...) hitting that 1000 day streak, which in itself is a great accomplishment. Congratulations!
(...)

Just completed it (...)

Wow! Congratulations!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:01 am

I found a new - actual old - type of challenge on the Web.... hadn't been seeing since the switch to the snake in August until maybe a week ago.

I don't think the Web had English tiles in the Fr-En course on the tree ....With the snake I got English tiles so I stopped getting these free-form English challenges.

That's another elegant way to get rid of user reports from true beginners and overfilling their bug queue or from users who can't handle English well...
......or in general despite being an intermediate- or advanced/native speaker in both languages.

I'm also astonished that staff has not added an English sentence checker like Grammarly (Premium) which can be used BEFORE submitting our alternative answers as second EN language speakers.

But after one year of French on Busuu A1 would I mainly want to be forced into word banks, especially for the English or German side?
Not so much.
Still thinking to start the shorter De->Fr contributor tree on the older Android app, to focus on grammar.

Maybe it's OK for the first L0 crown run to get used to the FR language a little more...not sure...
......that would even work here on my Redmi Note 10 Pro 6.67" smartphone and their Android 5.52.5 app doesn't let me access typing on lower crowns anyway.

At least Duolingo staff should add key number 0-9 / a-z bindings for the Web like that Chrome extension or userscript did it before
(on the tree, has anyone retested them with the snake?).

To be honest STT (Speech to text) doesn't work that great on the phone on the Web with Gboard, especially within Firefox Nightly, don't know why.
But now the internal wrong Duolingo (Portugal) keyboard suddenly popped up on the app for Brazilian Portuguese.
Would need to check how they at least respect the existing French Gboard keyboard layout and deactivated multi-language typing/voice detection.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Off topic:

I'm surprised there is no user @Duolingo_Team here on this forum with a few officials so we could redirect a few suggestions (guess they don't want to hear more??).

Q: Anybody knows of joined users from the Duolingo Hq idling around, like Kevin R.? Anybody has seen him and the other fews from the former community forum on the Reddit channel beyond Dr. Luis von Ahn AMA?
Are they more active on Discord?

Do they only read on Duome as guest or not?

What other thread would fit this better? I could move it.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

SansEspoir wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:11 am

Just completed it, and DuoMe updated my lingots count, so I guess it works?

It didn't show up on DuoLingo right away, though. Seems I had to visit in a new browser window for it to catch on. Did not get a notification, just the screen.

I didn’t get notified of whether I got lingots from last week’s wager and now I’m wondering if I did. I’m going to make note of how many lingots I have before the end of the wager week this time so I can make sure.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:44 pm

I didn’t get notified of whether I got lingots from last week’s wager and now I’m wondering if I did. I’m going to make note of how many lingots I have before the end of the wager week this time so I can make sure.

Please do and update us. I think the lingots I got was for the 1000 day streak completion, and not a wager.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

SansEspoir wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Please do and update us. I think the lingots I got was for the 1000 day streak completion, and not a wager.

Well, I went from 99 to 116 overnight, so I’m guessing some of that was from my wager.

Hard to tell, though, cause there seems to be a time lag in when the website awards lingots for other things.

I’m not getting notifications that I won my wager and was awarded lingots.

Saperlipopette!

There was something else, I recently put things together, that I think happened with the new website.

There used to be some verbiage about the ten percent award. I think it was in The Shop. You can see in my photo above of the shop that there is no such description. It explained that on the tens of your streak, you get ten percent of your streak awarded in lingots.

For me, that meant yesterday after I completed my first lesson on the web, I hit a 1500 day streak and got awarded 150 lingots. There also used to be a notification about this that went away in the new website.

We saw something like this happen before. A link to the Duolingo dictionary was removed. References to it were phased out. Then poof-- one day our links to the dictionaries led to nothing.

Right now it was easy enough to see I got the 150 lingots. No other award is even close in size and even a combination of several, late posting awards is gonna fall way short of 150 lingots. I saw it posted about ten minutes after I did my second lesson of the day on the web.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye out for that award to go away. We won't hear about it, we'll just stop getting it. The next chance to check is ten days from now, I get 151 lingots. It is really great to do the first lesson of the day on the web on the tens of your streak. The rewards are just crazy.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:04 am

It is really great to do the first lesson of the day on the web on the tens of your streak. The rewards are just crazy.

Thanks, I was wondering why I got them only sometimes. But what do you do with lingots ?

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

My double wager was reset on day 5, unless there was some overhaul to the website yesterday I'd say there is a bug in regards to the lingot wager. Hopefully it's region based and not global.

FurbyZeKat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:51 am

Thanks, I was wondering why I got them only sometimes. But what do you do with lingots ?

I'm not sure if you can use them for anything else other than Legendary lessons at this point. I can't even be bothered to look :?

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I use lingots for legendary lessons and I buy the wager every week. That's about all they're good for.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Does anyone else see a pattern with big tech companies or is it just me?

Twitter, Google, Microsoft Faceache etc all develop apps that work and a used by the masses. Then they all proceed to "tweak" and ruin them. It is as if different teams have paths to follow and no one is in charge of the project.

If Duolingo want to service the schools and earn revenue from the system, who can't they run separate apps for the regular users. It must be bringing in some revenue from all the adverts.

What happened to all of the moderators that helped to build Duo ?

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

buho

Post by buho »

Steve579062 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:34 pm

Twitter, Google, Microsoft Faceache etc all develop apps that work and a used by the masses. Then they all proceed to "tweak" and ruin them. It is as if different teams have paths to follow and no one is in charge of the project.

Gotta keep shareholders thinking that they're constantly evolving.

Steve579062 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:34 pm

If Duolingo want to service the schools and earn revenue from the system, who can't they run separate apps for the regular users. It must be bringing in some revenue from all the adverts.

Perhaps they know that they'd get only a fraction of the userbase. Hence cramming everything into one package.

Return to “Discussions”