Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

New languages coming to Duolingo Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Re: New languages coming to Duolingo

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

because of the controversy that Serbian and Croatian (and Bosnian) are actually the same language

also Serbian uses both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets and they removed the thing where you could switch between alphabets (for Russian and Ukrainian)

A somewhat similar situation existed with Chinese, which has a number of dialects, some of which, as I understand it, are sufficiently different that they could reasonably be called different languages. Duolingo picked Mandarin and created the course, anyway. I don't think everyone was happy with Duolingo's choice of dialect, but that didn't stop them from choosing.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

water_color wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:24 pm
LICA98 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:37 am

because of the controversy that Serbian and Croatian (and Bosnian) are actually the same language

also Serbian uses both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets and they removed the thing where you could switch between alphabets (for Russian and Ukrainian)

I think the alphabet thing is not a problem, because they can just use Latin for the course, doubling it with Cyrillic is not necessary. Both Serbs and Croats can use Latin, and it is not so hard to learn the Serbian Cyrillic somewhere else.

Creating a common Serbo-Croatian course can be a problem for other reasons, such as: Croatian uses Slavic name of the months (siječanj, veljača, etc), Serbian uses Latin names (januar, februar, etc); many words have different spelling or look totally different; there are some differences in grammar. Considering how Duolingo works, it may be hard to teach two ways of doing the same thing.

I think having separate courses for Serbian and Croatian would actually be more reasonable. Or at least one of them. Norwegian and Danish are also very similar, but nobody questions the presence of separate courses for them, not just one Dano-Norwegian course.

because nobody considers Danish and Norwegian to be the same language

like it's gonna be controversial either way so they prefer to not touch it I guess 😬

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

b05aplmun.ca wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:28 pm

A somewhat similar situation existed with Chinese, which has a number of dialects, some of which, as I understand it, are sufficiently different that they could reasonably be called different languages. Duolingo picked Mandarin and created the course, anyway. I don't think everyone was happy with Duolingo's choice of dialect, but that didn't stop them from choosing.

the Chinese dialects other than Mandarin and Cantonese are so insignificant that nobody really cares about them, like I can't imagine anyone wanting to learn some other dialect instead

with Serbian and Croatian tho you got 2 languages that are about equally spoken in 2 different countries

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

LICA98 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:51 pm

the Chinese dialects other than Mandarin and Cantonese are so insignificant that nobody really cares about them, like I can't imagine anyone wanting to learn some other dialect instead

Well, it depends what are you planning to do with your Chinese: whom do you want to communicate with. It's such a huge country with so many speakers, I'm sure there are enough regional differences. Depending on what region you want to go to, for how long, and for what purpose, learning a local variety could be more beneficial.

with Serbian and Croatian tho you got 2 languages that are about equally spoken in 2 different countries

In this case, the division is more political than linguistic... But if this is what it takes to keep peace, let's see them as separate languages. :)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

wyqtor
Romania

Post by wyqtor »

Teaching the Croatian variety of Serbo-Croatian IMHO would be a safe choice, since Croatia is a member of the EU and it uses only the Latin script. Also, Croatia is a popular holiday destination for Europeans. And, as an added bonus, you'll be understood just fine in Serbia even you speak the Croatian variety, even more so in Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

LICA98 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:51 pm

The other "dialects" are actually languages, often spoken by many millions of people. Cantonese for example is spoken by 80 million people.

I for my part would very much like to learn Taiwanese (Taiwanese Hokkien) from English and there are many people who would be happy about a good Taiwanese from English course.

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] try it, like Zulu!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

[mention]duome[/mention] yes! It seems there are a few 'xhosa from english' learners:

https://duome.eu/en/xh

I fully support 🇺🇦!

daggs

Post by daggs »

Hi guys, are there any chances that we get Thai anytime soon? Isn't it popular enough?
And FWIW, Serbian would be great! One language for 4 countries and not difficult to learn for any slavik speaker.

Coyote913
United States of America

Post by Coyote913 »

daggs wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi guys, are there any chances that we get Thai anytime soon? Isn't it popular enough?
And FWIW, Serbian would be great! One language for 4 countries and not difficult to learn for any slavik speaker.

Yea I would also love to see Thai as an option to learn. It is very useful for those who wish to travel outside of Bangkok or to simply get by easier with the locals.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hello [mention]daggs[/mention]

Why don't you simply buy the Ling app from Simya Solutions Ltd.?

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

10 days ago, on January 12, Duolingo removed all incubator courses except Xhosa from English, which is already accessible under IOS and with some trick. I hope it will released "soon"!

https://www.duolingo.com/courses/all

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

fremanolas wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:21 pm

I for my part would very much like to learn Taiwanese (Taiwanese Hokkien) from English and there are many people who would be happy about a good Taiwanese from English course.

Glossika https://ai.glossika.com/#languages offers this Hokkien course for free.

Currently there are 8 FREE courses including this one above, Catalan, Welsh and Gaelic.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Hey! Xhosa from English is easy to choose if you have IOS (Apple).

I think it deserves to have its own trophy and flag in [mention]duome[/mention]

😄👍 https://duome.eu/en/xh

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Ama Noir
Germany

Post by Ama Noir »

This is a really good question!
I'm also highly interested in a Thai Duolingo course (English-Thai would be ok), because I travel to Thailand almost every year and there's no better way to gain a smile than knowing some Thai (as I already experienced).

Thomas.Heiss
Why don't you simply buy the Ling app from Simya Solutions Ltd.?

Weil diese App einfach mal verdammt teuer ist und sie ist sogar noch im Preis gestiegen. Ein Jahr kostet mittlerweile um die 60 €.
Deutschsprachige Thai-Lerner sollten das Geld lieber in Thai-lernen.net investieren. Der Kurs kostet pro Jahr zwar mit 200 € deutlich mehr, dafür kriegt man aber auch mehr geboten als vom ,,Affen". Von einem Thai-Muttersprachler weiß ich, dass Silko, der Gründer und 1. Lehrer, nahezu akzentfrei Thai spricht.

Apsa25
Poland

Post by Apsa25 »

MatOzone wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:08 pm

Xhosa?!?

This afternoon I visited the Xhosa status and... I think you can test it!
[...]
https://www.duolingo.com/course/xh/en
https://www.duolingo.com/course/en/xh

I managed to enter the course through one of those links and do the first lesson on my computer in the browser, in the incognito mode (meaning I wasn't logged and there were no cookies yet). But when I tried to log in afterwards, it switched me to the last language I practeced on my account.
So I'm experimenting further and I cleared the cookies, entered through the link and did the lesson again and then registered as a new user. And in this way I can see the whole course. Now I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to get the course to my existing account.
On my Android phone when I logged to the new account it asked me which langualge do I want to learn, so I cannot learn Xhosa on it.
Edit. No problem starting the course on my account on iOS app through the link :) And now I have it also on the web. It just doesn’t work on my Android phone.
Edit 2. After I have chosen the Xhosa course it opens both on my account the web and in the iOS app. But when I was practicing any other language, the Xhosa disappears from the list of my courses on iOS. I can re-enter it either through the link or after selecting it in browser. In browser it is still present, though it doesn't have its name, just the flag.

Last edited by Apsa25 on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Ama Noir wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:13 am

... dafür kriegt man aber auch mehr geboten als vom ,,Affen".

are Owls any better? ;-)

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

@Apsa25 Thank you really very much!

Yes! Thanks to your information I can enter this path and write the structure and some extra info!

Bravo!

Xhosa from English Course Data (10 Units)

Xhosa from English 10 units (2023-Aug-08):
NOT CEFR aligned
79 levels ㅤ374 lessons ㅤNO Stories
Path imageHintsWords
numberOfSentences=null ㅤ numberOfWords=null ㅤ wordsLearned=345 (322) ㅤ JSON

Unit 9 and 10 have personalized names.

Section 1: Rookie (5)

1 Use basic greetings, Say what food you like 📝
4, 5, 📪, 4, 🏆
Use basic greetings, Say what food you like, 📪, Use basic greetings, 🏆
Greetings, Food, 📪, Greetings, 🏆

2 Introduce yourself, Buy food items 📝
5, 5, 📪, 4, 4, 5, 5, 📪, 5, 🏆
Introduce yourself, Say what food you like, 📪, 🛠️, Use basic greetings, Buy food items, Introduce yourself, 📪, Say what food you like, 🏆
Intro, Food, 📪, 🛠️, Greetings, Market, Intro, 📪, Food, 🏆

3 Name domestic animals, Describe wild animals 📝
5, 6, 📪, 5, 5, 6, 5, 📪, 5, 5, 🏆
Name domestic animals, 🛠️, 📪, Buy food items, Introduce yourself, Describe wild animals, Name domestic animals, 📪, Buy food items, 🛠️, 🏆
Animals, 🛠️, 📪, Market, Intro, Safari, Animals, 📪, Market, 🛠️, 🏆

4 Discuss hobbies, Use the future tense 📝
5, 6, 📪, 5, 5, 5, 5, 📪, 6, 🏆
Discuss hobbies, Describe wild animals, 📪, Name domestic animals, Use the future tense, Discuss hobbies, 🛠️, 📪, Describe wild animals, 🏆
Hobbies, Safari, 📪, Animals, Travel, Hobbies, 🛠️, 📪, Safari, 🏆

5 Talk about jobs, Use public transport 📝
5, 5, 5, 📪, 6, 6, 📪, 5, 5, 🏆
Talk about jobs, Use the future tense, Discuss hobbies, 📪, Use public transport, 🛠️, 📪, Talk about jobs, Use the future tense, 🏆
Jobs, Travel, Hobbies, 📪, Taxis, 🛠️, 📪, Jobs, Travel, 🏆

Section 2: Explorer (2)

6 / 1 Describe farm animals, Plan a shopping list 📝
6, 6, 📪, 5, 5, 6, 6, 📪, 6, 🏆
Describe farm animals, Use public transport, 📪, Talk about jobs, 🛠️, Plan a shopping list, Describe farm animals, 📪, Use public transport, 🏆
Farm, Taxis, 📪, Jobs, 🛠️, Shopping, Farm, 📪, Taxis, 🏆

7 / 2 Talk about habits, Use the past tense 📝
6, 5, 6, 📪, 6, 6, 📪, 6, 5, 🏆
Talk about habits, 🛠️, Plan a shopping list, 📪, Describe farm animals, Use the past tense, 📪, Talk about habits, 🛠️, 🏆
Habits, 🛠️, Shopping, 📪, Farm, Weekend, 📪, Habits, 🛠️, 🏆

Section 3: Traveler (2)

8 / 1 Say what you are doing 📝
6, 6, 📪, 6, 6, 5, 6, 📪, 6, 🏆
Plan a shopping list, Say what you are doing, 📪, Use the past tense, Talk about habits, 🛠️, Say what you are doing, 📪, Use the past tense, 🏆
Shopping, Restaurant, 📪, Weekend, Habits, 🛠️, Restaurant, 📪, Weekend, 🏆

9 / 2
6, 5, 5, 📪, 5, 5, 📪, 5, 5, 🏆
Say what you are doing, Path Extension Practices, 🏆
Restaurant, Path Extension Practices, 🏆

Section 4: Champion (1)

10 / 1
5, 5, 5, 5, 📪, 5, 5, 5, 📪, 5, 5, 🏆
Path Extension Practices

ㅤㅤ Image

Each 🏆 has 8 challenges, to get the Legendary trophy

Each Unit has Levels and Chests, and each Level has Lessons.
Each Lesson has from 2 to 18 exercises (usually 15)
Each 🏆 has from 2 to 18 exercises (usually 15)
Each Challenge has from 2 to 18 exercises (usually 15)

I fully support 🇺🇦!

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I fully support 🇺🇦!

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

After Duolingo Maths,

Duolingo Music is released for beta-testing!

As fas as we get more details, we will publish it here!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@MatOzone Cool!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Bara Brith
Wales

Post by Bara Brith »

Sofia222677 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:17 pm
LICA98 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:49 am

I wish they would stop focusing on courses with no English involved (like Swedish from Russian wtf) and instead added the missing European national languages (Bulgarian, Slovak, Slovene, Albanian, and the Baltic countries' languages) 🤬

The world and DL do not revolve just around Europe. Why should Duolingo prioritize European languages over non-European ones?

No, European languages should be prioritised because almost every single European language isn’t threatened by extinction, their languages have been spread due to colonialism, immigration is increasing into Europe, with those immigrants learning the language.

My theory is since many declining languages (like Navajo or Xhosa) are only available to learn from a European one (English or Spanish) they can be revived quicker if more people learn a European language first :idea:

Hi :!: I’m Bara Brith, currently learning: Welsh Image, native: English Image, after current course: Portuguese Image (Babbel). I do follow 4 follow, contact me if interested :P

Ian768564
Great Britain

Post by Ian768564 »

There's been a certain amount of discussion here of Russian as a lingua franc or not, but no pointed discussion of the fact that the one new language on DL is actually Ukrainian for Russian speakers. The fact is that there are many millions of people in Ukraine whose native language is Russian, and not just in the Donbass. Ukrainian has increasingly taken over in the parts not occupied by Russia. It's the language. used in education and administration and justice. And the war itself has made the use of Russian in public increasingly anathema. So now there must be a big and immediate demand for that new DL course, as people will want to show themselves as Ukrainian patriots, not as suspected Russia sympathisers. I'm sure it will make a major contribution to easing tensions and helping people in the areas administered by Kyiv. There are even Russians who have gone over to Ukraine, even fighting on its side, as they prefer Ukrainian democracy to Putinesque autocracy. And many Russian-speaking Ukrainians have left the Donbas and headed westward to remain Ukrainian. All will find the new course of immediate help.

I should add that Ukrainian is definitely one of the threatened languages that DL says it wants to support. If Putin wins in Ukraine, the language may be banned there.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Hi y'all.

I know this is a topic that also people can become very heated about, and can drift off the focus of our community from that of language learning, and drift onto projecting political issues and predictions.

Here, we 100% support the learning of other languages. Including the wonderful and treasured language of Ukranian and its community and rich and appreciated unique culture. We not just appreciate it - we actively support it and the Ukraine community ! Even more so at this time.

To talk about political issues, other forums on the internet are perhaps more appropriate. Thanks for your understanding.
Here each of us are welcome. Especially those that support diversity and rights - including that of Ukraine !

So if people could focus their responses here on supporting and embellishing and improving the learning of other languages, including Ukranian , it is appreciated by us as a community.

To read about Duolingo's attitude - check out : https://blog.duolingo.com/duolingo-statement-ukraine/

Though as a heads up, this community is not Duolingo. We are a volunteer community that seeks to assist and embellish the learning of all other languages, and provide resources that are at no cost for people to learn languages.
And not just the ones that are presented on Duolingo.
And NOT just using the resources from Duolingo.
Please assist us in sharing other resources that are free for our community to learn another language and support diverstity of all our communities.

Here - each one of us - and our diversity is not just welcome, it is encouraged and supported.

And we thank those that choose to show kindness and acceptance to each one of us, and especially our diversity.

And specifically about the Ukranian language, check out our forums here :

English speakers learning Ukranian : viewforum.php?f=39-ukrainian
Ukranian speakers learning other languages, including English : viewforum.php?f=164-я-розмовляю-українською

Thank you for the contributions you choose to make to our forums that assist learning another language.

Insieme - together

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Only in IOS, some users are randomly getting an A/B test, which merges MATHS and languages inside Duolingo App.

And to some Duolingo employeers and beta-testers, there's MUSIC, too!

Source:

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Ian768564 In support of the Ukrainian language maybe we can do some posts on different Ukrainians words and things. I made a post about food and one about idioms. I'm hoping people will contribute.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Apsa25
Poland

Post by Apsa25 »

It seems that after the last update the Xhosa course is not available on the web anymore. I got to an Error 500 page while trying to enter it in Chrome. It was still available in Opera yesterday, but today no longer.
For now it still works on the iOS app.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

It's still available in Chrome, but need some tricks :D

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Apsa25
Poland

Post by Apsa25 »

MatOzone wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:08 pm

Xhosa?!?

This afternoon I visited the Xhosa status and... I think you can test it!

I’m finishing the course and I was pleasantly surprised, I really like it!
It is very short, so it just gives an overview on the language, but it seems to be quite well though through: there is some vocab and some basic grammar, including 3 tenses and rules to construct verbs and other combined words. Even without tips and notes one can learn those rules. Alhough in my case the first several skills of Suahili, which I was trying to learn earlier, might have helped. But comparing to the Suahili this course seems better to me: less vocab to just learn by hart, more phrases and simple sentences. In the Suahili course I got stuck at the beginning, as there was too much new words to memorise.
And compared with Navaho, which I tried earlier this year and which has similar length (or rather shortness)… Well, the Navaho course doesn’t really make much sense, only first skills contain a bit of grammar / sentences and then it is just vocab to learn by heart. The Xhosa is soooo much better. It has some errors like misplaced audio, but maybe they will correct that before the course is actually released.

Return to “Duolingo”