Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to progress in leagues

Tips and tricks ...

JudieLC
United States of America

Re: How to progress in leagues

Post by JudieLC »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:39 am
JudieLC wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:38 am

Does it still work to go private on Monday and change to public on Tuesday to place you in a league that's less competitive?

It does. The later you join in the week (deadline is apparently 24 hours before closure) the less competitive it gets, yet it is never such that you can reach the top three easily: statistically there is always at least one xp-miner in the league who wins and at least two very ambitious learners who would like to win but land on spots 2-3. Still it is quite easy to stay away from the demotion zone.
I have started recently to join "weekend legs" i.e. go "public" on Friday afternoon or Saturday. You meet completely different people there, more casual, most do next to nothing Monday-Thursday, the selection of languages that people learn is more colorful than in "Monday" leagues.

So if you go private and keep working on lessons privately, and then go public later in the week, you would be placed in a different (presumably less competitive) league when you turn the public setting back on?

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

There seems to be a rule in the algorithm that places you in a league depending on the XP count that you have been averaging. I do not know whether the points you collect "in private" are taken into account. Possibly so, so i am guessing that joining the leagues later in the weak gives you an advantage purely by the nature of those leagues.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Well, Duolingo has been on a “quick maintenance break” for over an hour anyway, so not only have I not done my first lesson of the week but I’ll most likely miss out on the early bird boost.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Speaking of progressing in the leagues, I was in 2nd place in the Diamond league until Friday, when a couple of people woke up and zipped past me. ;)

Now I'm in 4th place. It's so tempting to get in an XP race, haha. Not doing it though.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

In my continued experimentation with league placement, I waited till the last hour of the day Monday night to start learning and landed in a more competitive league than last week. :D

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:37 pm

In my continued experimentation with league placement, I waited till the last hour of the day Monday night to start learning and landed in a more competitive league than last week. :D

yeah as I've been saying it doesn't really make a difference whether you get in early or late, I've had many cases of getting in already Sunday evening and the league being very uncompetitive

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Some folks seem to think it does make a difference. Doesn’t matter much to me, it was just an observation.

It’d be nice to get first in Diamond League one of these days but I doubt it will ever happen unless I spend a whole week doing nothing but Duolingo. :D

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Meli578588 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:10 am

I still don’t have any stories.

Are you sure? I found them under the practice tab (the blue barbell), scroll down to "Your collections" and it's right under "Mistakes" on both the web and the app.

Deleted User 5745

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

It seems to me advancement in leagues does go by what you average in a week.
If you look at the profiles of the top 3 it will probably say "umpteen" top place finisher, or something. This shows how eager they are to win! 😛
I am just going to chill this week and earn as few XP as I can - so long as I remain in the promotion league.
Saving my legendaries and other XP farming tricks for when I get to diamond.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Meli578588 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:14 am

@JudieLC Yes, I just checked again. My still says “will
Be back after a quick break .” Been like this for weeks now. All courses with stories.

Thank you for your reply , though. I 🙂appreciate the help and feed back .

My Japanese course doesn’t even have an option of a “story icon” anymore. That disappeared.

Hmm, wonder why mine are not showing up still.

Does this link work for you? https://www.duolingo.com/practice-hub/stories

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Raymond-The-Cat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:03 am

It seems to me advancement in leagues does go by what you average in a week.
If you look at the profiles of the top 3 it will probably say "umpteen" top place finisher, or something. This shows how eager they are to win! 😛
I am just going to chill this week and earn as few XP as I can - so long as I remain in the promotion league.
Saving my legendaries and other XP farming tricks for when I get to diamond.

Well, I'm in Diamond. I could get to second place if I agressively go at it. I'm close, about another 1000 XP to go. But the first place person in my league has 20720 XP at the moment. Not even going to try to catch up to that! :D

Deleted User 5745

Post by Deleted User 5745 »

@JudieLC There'll always be those who feel their lives are at stake if they don't win! 😄 I think I could have become quite aggressive if common sense hadn't kicked in. I haven't been learning much - just going at the 40XP timed lessons like a maniac.
I've calmed down now ... (a bit) 😉

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

So after coming out 6th in the Diamond League this past week, I've started the current week on private - no league yet. ;)

__CF__
Norway

Post by __CF__ »

The leagues are silly. They encourage accummulation of XP instead of learning.

If they would be based on amounts of crowns earned and/or golden owls, that would be better.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

__CF__ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:57 pm

If they would be based on amounts of crowns earned and/or golden owls, that would be better.

I agree with you.

But I feel oddly bereft not seeing those rankings and how other learners are doing. :D
It's so weird.

__CF__
Norway

Post by __CF__ »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 pm
__CF__ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:57 pm

I agree with you.

But I feel oddly bereft not seeing those rankings and how other learners are doing. :D
It's so weird.

Indeed, I can imagine. I still follow the leagues and accumulate XP but it remains silly.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Stasia wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:10 pm

Does it still work to go private on Monday and change to public on Tuesday to place you in a league that's less competitive? Never thought to try that.

Yes, as @PtolemysXX noted. The worst leagues are the ones that start right after the leagues close. Even below diamond league, these are the leagues for insane overachievers. Even if you start Monday morning or Monday afternoon (so without going private), these leagues will be more relaxed than Sunday evening ones. And, there is some algorithm at work that takes under account your own activity the past week, so if you did bare minimum one week, you will end up with (mostly) bare minimum bunch of individuals next week... with one or two insane overachievers mixed in. :lol:

Boy is the insane overachievers comment ever true. :D
This week, I went private on Sunday night after my league closed and stayed private till Tuesday afternoon. It looked like a pretty poky league, but once I got into first place, earlier this afternoon, someone in the league went to town and is now about 2240 XP ahead of me. :D

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

PtolemysXX wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:45 pm

There seems to be a rule in the algorithm that places you in a league depending on the XP count that you have been averaging. I do not know whether the points you collect "in private" are taken into account. Possibly so, so i am guessing that joining the leagues later in the weak gives you an advantage purely by the nature of those leagues.

Doesn't look like the points you collect "in private" are taken into account, unless there's going to be a delay from the time I switched to public (just now) and Duolingo taking into account all the points I had from earlier in the week.

I started out the week private and collected a fair number of points, but I did one lesson just now to join a league after changing from private to public and I only have 15 XP. That's definitely not my total for the week.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

JudieLC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:15 pm

I started out the week private and collected a fair number of points, but I did one lesson just now to join a league after changing from private to public and I only have 15 XP. That's definitely not my total for the week.

in the leaderboards only those points count that you collect while beeing in a league. If you join on a Saturday, you may have collected thousands of XP's already since Monday, but for the leaderboard you will start from zero.

I wanted to say in that earlier post that your placement in an "easy" or "tough" league possibly depends also on points you collect in private. Which would mean that while in the private modus you may be better off avoiding any XP-boosting features - keep low profile - with the hope of being teamed up with less ambitious people once you go public.

But of course other ambitious people are also clever. One of my recent weekend-leagues was dominated by a user with the following profile:

genuine weekend warrior.PNG
genuine weekend warrior.PNG (19.24 KiB) Viewed 7392 times
JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Oh, interesting. Well, I don't think I ended up in a very tough league this week, but I thought that last week and I ended up finishing 6th behind folks I couldn't keep up with (and had no interest in doing so). The previous week, when I didn't play any games with going private and switching to public, I finished 3rd. Go figure! It's an interesting experiment, anyway. ;)

And, yeah, based on the profile you shared, I think people are playing games with being less active and then getting super active toward the end of the week.

Wonder what happens if you go private in the middle of the week and then go public again? Would you be placed in a totally different league than the one you started the week in and start over with points?

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

JudieLC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:56 pm

Wonder what happens if you go private in the middle of the week and then go public again? Would you be placed in a totally different league than the one you started the week in and start over with points?

I would tend to think that once you are in a particular league you are stuck with it till the end of the week, you get no second chance. That's only a guess though, I have not tried it.

I have seen this question asked in the Russian forum here (but also without a conclusive feedback):

Getting out then back in

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Stasia wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:10 pm

Does it still work to go private on Monday and change to public on Tuesday to place you in a league that's less competitive? Never thought to try that.

Yes, as @PtolemysXX noted. The worst leagues are the ones that start right after the leagues close. Even below diamond league, these are the leagues for insane overachievers. Even if you start Monday morning or Monday afternoon (so without going private), these leagues will be more relaxed than Sunday evening ones. And, there is some algorithm at work that takes under account your own activity the past week, so if you did bare minimum one week, you will end up with (mostly) bare minimum bunch of individuals next week... with one or two insane overachievers mixed in. :lol:

I am not sure if these people are really 'overachievers'. They simply have not much else to do.
I wonder if the leagues are somehow grouped based on languages? I think there were quite a lot of people from the Czech Republic, Poland and Ukraine in my leagues during the last two weeks. I wonder if this has anything to do with me learning mostly Russian and Polish (and dabbling into Czech for fun a bit)?

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

David680268 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:48 pm

I am not sure if these people are really 'overachievers'. They simply have not much else to do.
I wonder if the leagues are somehow grouped based on languages? I think there were quite a lot of people from the Czech Republic, Poland and Ukraine in my leagues during the last two weeks. I wonder if this has anything to do with me learning mostly Russian and Polish (and dabbling into Czech for fun a bit)?

#1 criterion must be people who join at the same time. There might be some times of the day when more people join simultaneously, then the software might be able to do some additional groupings (how much XP you were doing last week, or maybe even spoken/chosen languages as you noted). There might be times of the day when less people join, and then you are going to get a more random grouping. I seem to be often paired with people who learn English from Spanish, and I have not done even a lesson of neither Spanish nor English on Duolingo.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Well, I waited till late morning to do my first lesson of the week. Can't stay out of the demotion zone. :D
So I'm going to private and will rejoin a league later in the week.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:50 am

Well, I waited till late morning to do my first lesson of the week. Can't stay out of the demotion zone. :D

If you have already done the first lesson that landed you in a league this week, I think you will be stuck in the same league the whole week. So if you go private now, you will get demoted even more, because your progress on private won't count in your league. If you stay private the rest of the week, you still will get demoted.

The trick is to go private before joining a league.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Guess I’ll find out.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Stasia wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:32 pm
JudieLC wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:50 am

If you have already done the first lesson that landed you in a league this week, I think you will be stuck in the same league the whole week. So if you go private now, you will get demoted even more, because your progress on private won't count in your league. If you stay private the rest of the week, you still will get demoted.

The trick is to go private before joining a league.

Yeah, I've gone private before joining a league before, the last couple of weeks. And I've held my own in the league when I join later in the week, but never have ended up in the top 3.

I switched back to a public profile today and sure enough I was at the bottom of the demotion zone. So I had to do a bunch of lessons to get back out of it.

Return to “How to ...”