Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to use the new “snake”?

Tips and tricks ...

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Re: How to use the new “snake”?

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

For the Portuguese course:

I can confirm that Unit 62 is the last one which has circles that point to real Spiritual, Business and Politics lessons.

Rest of Units 63-75 only contain (locked/grey) "Personalized practice" circles.

The old PT course had 69 skills while the course update in summer 2018 extended the tree to 91 skills with an introduced nice splitted grammar sub 1-4 skill concept where complicated things were taught one by one in a strict order and not overwhelming the student immediately with ALL of the possible elements of just one grammar skill.

For example:
Prepositions 1-4
Prep Contractions 1-4
Demonstrative between Sub Contraction skills

So the grammar concepts could sink in and didn't hit you all at once but were spread out between skills.

No idea how they pressed the whole 69/91 skills tree into only 62 units.

Also the Infinitives 1-3 and Present 1-3 or Abstract Objects 1-4 skills had a lot of old lessons which means not only 4-6 lessons (like newer CEFR Spanish/French/English courses) to teach verbs and nouns/generic vocabulary but the classic way up to 10 lessons (7 words x 10 lessons for each skill number).

No idea why they pressed everything together and now all content got heavily mixed up.
Any Romance/Portuguese grammar teaching concept from contributors team is gone that way.

Duolingo points me for a six years old finished crown L2 PT tree at Unit 49 Use infinitives; rest is locked.
I was working lately on L3 crowns for Present 1-3 and Infinitives 1-3 skills on the old 5.52.5 Android app ignoring the snake (Ok, I did 3 lessons once for Unit 49 on the path ; but will carefully destroy their metrics from now on).

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

LindaBerna
United States of America

Post by LindaBerna »

I've been away from this forum for a VERY long time. One of my early posts indicated I was on day 800+. I am now over 1000 days and at Christmas, I did NOT renew my paid subscription. It was inexpensive but Duolingo has not added anything new in MONTHS. I finished the "old" layout and lessons some time last fall/late summer and was really disappointed in the new snake: the circles with check marks tell you nothing about what you just did; the snake is cumbersome; I find I repeat and repeat and repeat ad nauseum and now have the answers memorized. I often repeat because there is no way to track or know what lesson I just did. The Demotion zone is insulting. Surely a less critical subliminal message could be sent when you fail to practice and keep up with the others...
Also note that I am studying Chinese and some of the options for romance languages are not available in Chinese.
For Christmas, I received Rosetta Stone and am slowly weaning myself off of Duolingo because it is boring. Though easy. And the ad interruptions are killing me...
再见!Hasta luego, Adieu.
PS, I think the old tree is no longer available?? In any case, lacking new material I'm not sure it is worth my while.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

LindaBerna wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:58 am

PS, I think the old tree is no longer available??

Indeed it is not:

viewtopic.php?p=42923-did-duo-just-kill ... ree#p42923

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

In order to access all my circles on the tree will I have to do unit tests first? I finished the tree before the snake. I found I can access some legendary lessons via the snake using the correct number for a unit. I know there are some links missing on Duome's Hebrew tree at the moment, so I'm not sure how much I can access, but I wondered if one has to do legendary tests before it lets you continue? I know they had a jump to here picture at one point on some of the new skills.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “How to ...”