Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Looking for moderators

The Duome Team uses this forum to announce new features, new forums or forum structure changes, developments going on, and other matters you should be aware of.

Corinnebelle

Looking for moderators

Post by Corinnebelle »

Duome is still looking for moderators, if you're interested and would like to apply please read this post. There are many positions available including those listed.

If you know French and think you're the right person for the job, please contact us.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Re: What's new

Post by Corinnebelle »

We have a lot of new forums on here for different products. The Duolingo forum now has a subforum, how to.. and it will possibly have more subforums as well.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

We are looking for moderators, indeed, in particular those who want to help keeping the duome forum free of political discussions.

Moderators and key members shall be the better example of this, and have no intention to "out" a political position, any pro- or contra- statement with regard to the current situation in the world.

This forum shall at all times remain neutral in all that is being said and discussed. That involves topics, posts, as well as signatures.

It's part of of the forum Terms, of course, and those terms shall be understood as "any "outing" or "position taking" may hurt the feelings of people, members and anonymous readers/visitors of this international forum, and as such it is a sign of non-respect for people having other opinions and convictions.

BB

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

XeO3
Botswana

Post by XeO3 »

Basler Biker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 am

We are looking for moderators, indeed, in particular those who want to help keeping the duome forum free of political discussions.

Moderators and key members shall be the better example of this, and have no intention to "out" a political position, any pro- or contra- statement with regard to the current situation in the world.

This forum shall at all times remain neutral in all that is being said and discussed. That involves topics, posts, as well as signatures.

It's part of of the forum Terms, of course, and those terms shall be understood as "any "outing" or "position taking" may hurt the feelings of people, members and anonymous readers/visitors of this international forum, and as such it is a sign of non-respect for people having other opinions and convictions.

BB

You can go to Life & Language if you enjoy that sort of misery. It appears to be pretty unmoderated, if at all.

Ef ek hefði hjarta ek gæti þik
Ef ek hefði rǫdd ek myndi syngja

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

edited - removed - as I consider others views more important to consider on this topic

Last edited by dakanga on Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

XeO3 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:46 am

This forum shall at all times remain neutral in all that is being said and discussed.

You can go to Life & Language if you enjoy that sort of misery. It appears to be pretty unmoderated, if at all.

Forums can and should have different approaches. I think it's good if we remain really apolitical here in forum.duome

But other forums may also want to promote a polite political exchange. It's good when people with different opinions exchange views without quarrelling and without getting personal - but not here.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Regarding signatures, a careful review should be made, some do not comply.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

gmads
Mexico

Re: Looking for moderators

Post by gmads »

Yes, but of all those, only a few are active ;)

In Mexico we say, "se dice el pecado, no el pecador," which loosely translated would be, "tell the deed, not the doer" :P

*** added

Oh… thinking it over, there are actually very few things that I could say that I consider inappropriate. My comment was strictly objective and based on the ruling :D

Last edited by gmads on Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

dakanga wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:20 pm

I have checked ones with over 100 posts and there are only a couple that I see those that are concerned with this issue are already aware of.
I am though not concerned with this issue.
For those concerned with this issue - it is an important one for them.
I was just interested to get a feeling for how large the problem was.

What do you mean? In what way you are not concerned?

You are not concerned regarding the ruling, or you are not concerned regarding the message at the signature?

Either way, and as I once mentioned regarding another topic, this only seems to show that there is no unified consensus among the moderators :|

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

I think that the answer simply avoided the issue at hand, as this is not, or should be not about core beliefs or personal perspectives. This is, or should be, about a unified goal where the whole team understands and agrees to a set of objective rules. Or… are "rules" simply texts to be interpreted as seen fit from each of the moderators?Shouldn't rules be objective? If a moderator from the team disagrees with one or more of the rules, well, it should be her/his prerogative to stop being a moderator and participate simply as a regular forum user, instead of "having the right to not carry out actions they disagree with." Under the same line of reasoning, any user should then have the right to not follow the "rules" they might disagree with. Rules are dictatorial because that is how they work, otherwise they would be recommendations and they would not be enforceable.

Anyway, returning to the original topic…

I am though not concerned with this issue.

This seemed more of a personal answer than a team or consensus-driven one, but there is no problem at all. So, if you are not actually concerned with the signature ruling or the messages in them, who is?

I was just interested to get a feeling for how large the problem was.

A matter of quantity vs. quality? ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

HeyMarlana
Canada

Re: Signature Reporting

Post by HeyMarlana »

gmads wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:21 pm

If any user notices something that is violating the terms or if they think it might be questionable, they should be reporting.

The team of volunteer mods don't have the ability to scan for signatures. If you see something in a post, use the report function. If it's something you've stumbled across in a profile, send a link of the profile (or inform us of the username) and if possible, a screenshot to the Admin or any of the moderators so we can review it.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

HeyMarlana wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:32 am
gmads wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:21 pm

If any user notices something that is violating the terms or if they think it might be questionable, they should be reporting.

The team of volunteer mods don't have the ability to scan for signatures. If you see something in a post, use the report function. If it's something you've stumbled across in a profile, send a link of the profile (or inform us of the username) and if possible, a screenshot to the Admin or any of the moderators so we can review it.

I ignore the kind of access moderators have to user information, but I definitely disagree with the idea that they "don't have the ability to scan for signatures." Anyway, the particular statements/arguments exposed have already been discussed above.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@gmads We definitely do look at these things when people post, but an extra set of eyes is always handy! Besides there is a plethora of languages here so it possible to miss something.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

gmads wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:11 am

I definitely disagree with the idea that they "don't have the ability to scan for signatures."

The only scanning ability we can do is to click on profiles...
one...
at...
a time...
:)

We're not about to do this. Not on over ten thousand accounts.
Hence, if you see something yourself (which you've alluded that you have), then it's your choice to let us know your findings or not. If not.. these things can pretty much just be some needles in a haystack.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

I'll let it be. The issue is simpler than what it is being made to be.

Antinomy - Imagination

Return to “Announcements by Duome”