Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Escape the Snake!

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

RickyYC

Re: Escape the Snake!

Post by RickyYC »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:38 pm

So yes, some B2 content might be available.
Thats doesn't mean your A) speaking skills, B) listening skills or C) writing skills are on the same level than what you've learned before

Okay.

(word bank tapping or multiple-choice is the least effective method to test one's true RECALLING capabilities in the target language and how your accuracy percentage rate is).

Exact. I prefer type the entire sentence instead of "Filling the blanks" in Duolingo.

So far, the Duolingo is the most attractive language app I've ever used. I guess that is why I still use this app even they change the tree to the path/snake.

So you need extra practice, outside of the Duolingo realm.

Yes, indeed. But I still feel a little bit unsure how to get started. See, if I want to improve my english to advanced level, I could just tring to prepare the IELTS or some exams like this to training my listening, talking, reading and writing skills. But for a beginner of some language, it seems hard to make the first step. Some tutorials are too deep or shallow. Textbooks may be a little bit out of style (for example, some textbooks said that there are 4 nasal sounds in French, but some youtubers would tell you that in Paris, they usually use 3 insteaf of 4).
I think I will check some youtube channels such as FrenchPod101 or something (for textbooks, I have no idea so far) for deeper learning as well as using Duolingo.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

unEssential wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 am

I FOUND A WAY TO USE WWW-INTERNAL!

This uses Firefox, I don't know if there's an equivalent method for Chrome or other browsers.

Open the developer's console with the f12 key. Go to the network tab, and log into Duolingo as normal. You'll see an entry at the top of the list for www.duolingo.com/learn. Right click it and select "Block URL". Now you can go to www-internal as normal and it'll load normally without redirecting you!

[mention]unEssential[/mention] : it works really well, thanks a lot for this hint. Is there a way to make this blocking permanent?

neon1ks
Russia

Post by neon1ks »

unEssential wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 am

I FOUND A WAY TO USE WWW-INTERNAL!

This uses Firefox, I don't know if there's an equivalent method for Chrome or other browsers.

Open the developer's console with the f12 key. Go to the network tab, and log into Duolingo as normal. You'll see an entry at the top of the list for www.duolingo.com/learn. Right click it and select "Block URL". Now you can go to www-internal as normal and it'll load normally without redirecting you!

It works for https://join.duolingo.com/learn too. Thanks!

SansEspoir wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:16 pm

Unfortunately when I click F12, all that happens is that my computer goes to Flight Mode. And manually opening that, doesn't show the /learn thingy. So do I then have to block the main duolingo website itself?

I want to look at who assigned F12 to turn off the computer. For many years I have seen people suffer from this.

neon1ks
Russia

Post by neon1ks »

SansEspoir wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:16 pm

Unfortunately when I click F12, all that happens is that my computer goes to Flight Mode. And manually opening that, doesn't show the /learn thingy. So do I then have to block the main duolingo website itself?

Use shift + ctrl + i . This is the same as F12.

neon1ks
Russia

Post by neon1ks »

The way to get a regular tree stopped working in my Firefox. And a day has not passed =)

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Thank you [mention]unEssential[/mention] for that technique. It's awesome, and was working well for me through yesterday.

Unfortunately, it is not working for me this morning.
Are others having this problem (suggesting that Duolingo might have altered something on their end)?
Or is the issue more likely to be on my end?

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

unEssential's technique has stopped working for me this morning as well. The page is now partially displayed, but there seems to be a block on the tree loading. It looks like a deliberate act on the part of Duolingo.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

All are futile efforts to avoid the unavoidable... :|

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

8-) Is this a good time for me to rub into all your faces that I'm still clinging to the tree on my Android app? :lol: (No shenanigans, I just stopped updating the app in the summer).

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:56 pm

unEssential's technique has stopped working for me this morning as well. The page is now partially displayed, but there seems to be a block on the tree loading. It looks like a deliberate act on the part of Duolingo.

I just don't understand why they don't disable the internal duolingo completely already instead of disabling some functions 1 by 1 🤔

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 am

I just don't understand why they don't disable the internal duolingo completely already instead of disabling some functions 1 by 1 🤔

1. Psychology? If they took everything at once, all the "tree"-fans would be gone by now. Leaving us to search for work-arounds to get our beloved "tree" back keeps us study with them. They give us (false) hope that they will enable us to use the "tree" in the future, that they may even switch on all the stolen functions some day. And as some work-arounds lead us directly to the "snake" page (e.g., Duome "tree"), we get used to it and many will not leave even after the "snake" will be the only way available.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

2. Research on necessary Duolingo security measures needed to be added? This is the best free option to mobilize all hackers and computer skilled people among us all over the world to "attack" their site and get one specific thing they want to get from it. Thanks to social media (like Duome fora), these methods become well-known and easily noticeable (if one person does something, you can miss it, but if tens, hundreds, maybe even thousands of people start doing the same thing...), you can even find detailed descriptions of those methods on social media and, of course, you see the speed and efficiency of these information channels. Maybe a preparation for making Duolingo an entirely paid web?

(BTW, can anyone advice me how to switch off the automatic turning a text with numbers to a list/many lists all starting with "1", that Duome does?)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

I enjoy my Android application, which I do not update, just like [mention]Stasia[/mention] and I practice on my beloved tree
🌳 ( how much do I want? and how do I want? ).

I am very happy because I still enjoy doing my homework. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Well, I managed to get that console thing up manually, but still not able to stop it from going to the snake :cry: :cry:

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

neon1ks
Russia

Post by neon1ks »

SansEspoir wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:21 pm

Well, I managed to get that console thing up manually, but still not able to stop it from going to the snake :cry: :cry:

Unfortunately, this method doesn't work anymore(

blueandnerdy

Post by blueandnerdy »

Looks like duome progress links just go to blank pages now. It doesn't directly redirect to the snake, which makes me think there must still be a workaround...

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

There goes the last fortress. Duome/progress is gone !!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

blueandnerdy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:33 pm

Looks like duome progress links just go to blank pages now. It doesn't directly redirect to the snake, which makes me think there must still be a workaround...

[mention]finnintrov[/mention] See this post for the latest update about this.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

finnintrov wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:42 pm

The true last fortress is an older version of the Android app, and it is still going strong, no hiccups.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

Stasia wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:00 am
finnintrov wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:42 pm

The true last fortress is an older version of the Android app, and it is still going strong, no hiccups.

Finger crossed. To be honest, Im kindda worried to see features being removed one by one. Nothing added. The app just goes worse after each update.

blueandnerdy

Post by blueandnerdy »

My theory is that they're trying to annoy all the long-time users into quitting. Those of us who have been on here for years and years (2015 for me) aren't going to pay for something that we got for free for so long. So they don't particularly care about our retention rate; they just need to make the app more palatable to new users who will give them money. Long-term users genuinely don't factor into their metrics, which is really unfortunate.

OTOH, the changes annoyed me enough that I (finally) started using Memrise and Anki and I've learned more Finnish in the last two months than in two years on Duolingo. So there's that, at least.

Return to “Duolingo”