Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

www-internal.duolingo.com gone for good?

The Duome Team uses this forum to announce new features, new forums or forum structure changes, developments going on, and other matters you should be aware of.

Guykings
Great Britain

Re: www-internal.duolingo.com gone for good?

Post by Guykings »

JudieLC wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:14 pm

Not only Irish. Explanations on all the languages I'm studying is sorely lacking in the revision.

Of the four languages I study, only German and Japanese have anything worthwhile in the guidebooks, and even that feels like a step down in terms of content, especially for German. With Welsh and Dutch it's just a few example phrases, and they're everything but useless. Welsh is a complicated language with consonant mutations, multiple counting systems, gendered adjectives and goodness knows what else; a few sample phrases just don't cut the mustard. Moreover, there must be plenty of languages that are similarly difficult.

As Dutch, hardly an obscure tongue, doesn't have proper guidebook entries even today (and, lest we forget, the snake has been around for months now), I'm assuming that only the most popular languages (English, Mandarin, French, Spanish etc) have any proper grammar lessons at all. This effectively makes Duolingo useless for learning the majority of languages available on the platform. The product has abandoned its users. What's the point?

RickyYC

Post by RickyYC »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:12 am
Gentianopsis wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 pm

Today, I found this free old Duolingo app with the "Tree" that works on my computer with Windows 10 Microsoft store.

It shows "strength" under each skill and XP's from finished lessons (and days) are recorded on Duome

Pure coincidence that this Microsoft Phone Mobile App also runs on Windows 10.
Or that even a login and tree sync works on the older Api.

It's from 2014.

Doesn't incorporate 1-5 crowns + L6 Legendary levels.
That update came in 2018.

Better install an Android emulator software or try launching Android apps natively on Windows 11.

Hi Thomas! I've tried the Duolingo Android on my Windows 11 yesterday using the offical "Windows Subsystem for Android" (aka WSA). The version of duolingo that I used is Duolingo 5.34.0 (Hacker version, which means that the premium was unlocked -- sorry for that, but this is the only version I can found, thanks to a member of a duolingo user group). There still have some problems comparing to the web version.

In the web app you can just type "Enter" key of your keyboard and will get into the next question. But on the WSA you cannot do that. It means that you need to use your mouse and keyboard alternately -- very stupid. Unfortunately, the android version is more likely to force the user to use their "fingers", in our cases, the mouse.

The duome progress is sometimes helpful, but if you've got your purple crowns in the app, the duome progress will still be golen (the level 5). I'm trying to finish the purple crowns in duome progress (click the skill and will jump to web app). You can still practice but I just cannot get the purple which makes me mad. :(

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Oh my god. NOOOOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry:
I was almost at a 1000 day streak too.... I already uninstalled the app, wonder if I can keep motivated to do more than 1 daily for the streak now, my motivation already suffered having to go through internal...

nudelfressa wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:10 pm

Next: Duolingo is dead. Alternatives? Can't we all make an open source community version of the evil owl?

That would be fantastic. I don't know how to code or anything useful, but I'd love to help out any way I can anyway. Even if it would just be to spread the word.

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

Luca521965
Austria

Post by Luca521965 »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] [mention]Jenbi[/mention]

Sorry for the late reply! I think I found out why this is working for me: In prevision of the coming end of the tree last year I saved www-internal to a .webarchive file. I opened this file the other day before I found the other thing that I posted here. So my browser had apparently cached something from the webarchive that caused it to stay on www-internal.

But the good news is: This still works! Whenever I open the .webarchive file I get to www-internal and the tree, and everything works there. It appears they just redirect all attempts to load www-internal to the snake, but otherwise www-internal seems to be up and running.
I also tried to open the file with my browser in anonymous mode, in that case It got me the login site of www-internal and after login to the tree. So I think that this should work for other people as well and not just for me.
The only catch is that only Safari can open .webarchive files, apparently there exist Chrome add-ons that can also open them, but I haven't tried that.

I put the file on my google drive if somebody wants to try it as well:

liv
Norway

Post by liv »

finnintrov wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:21 am

The old apks still work tho guys. On android, download something thats older than version 5.7

If you are on PC. Try something like android stimulator then install the apk like an android device.

Ios should work the same but I cant find the way to downgrade the app yet.

where do you find that?

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

liv wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:05 pm

The old apks still work tho guys. On android, download something thats older than version 5.7

If you are on PC. Try something like android stimulator then install the apk like an android device.

where do you find that?

This should do

https://androidapksfree.com/duolingo-ap ... -65-5-apk/

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:12 am

Pure coincidence that this Microsoft Phone Mobile App also runs on Windows 10.
Better install an Android emulator software or try launching Android apps natively on Windows 11.

I do not have Windows 11. I installed BlueStacks 5, found this page with a lot of old versions of Duolingo for Android: https://duolingo.en.uptodown.com/android/versions and it is nearly impossible to do any lessons or practice: everything takes incredibly long, both the processor and memory are almost completely occupied (yes, even after I turned off animations and other junk), letters are extremely tiny and it is not possible to use the keyboard only.

Is this how it always works or is there any way around to get something more similar to the old "Tree" web version of Duolingo for computers?

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

Luca521965 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:02 pm

But the good news is: This still works! Whenever I open the .webarchive file I get to www-internal and the tree, and everything works there. It appears they just redirect all attempts to load www-internal to the snake, but otherwise www-internal seems to be up and running.

Thanks for sharing this! Sadly I only have Windows. I've installed a Chrome add-on in an attempt to prevent the redirection from www-internal, but with no success. Installing an old version of Safari for Windows hasn't worked either; opening the .webarchive just sends me to an error page .

Safari not being helpful.
Safari not being helpful.
Screenshot 2023-01-26 193542.jpg (153.57 KiB) Viewed 12269 times

I wish I'd saved the tree as a good old html now, but it didn't occur to me at the time. I don't suppose anyone else did?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention]
Always had issues with Android emulators on my old DualCore WinXP Laptop with slow and very old Igpu and outdated graphic drivers.

The app works much better on a Redmi Note 10 Pro phone (Android 11, upgrade to Miu13 with Android 12 is available).

Sounds to me like newest Bluestacks doesn't work smoothly on your system.
Maybe a multi-core / hyperthreading Cpu issue? Or Opengl drivers.
What Android version is it using internally?
Do you have black screen freezes like I had on Nox?
Can you maybe change to DirectX in the settings? Update drivers?

I had some success with KoPlayer 1.x (2016-2018, Android V4.4 or something) on my old system, but the website got removed after 2018.
KoPlayer 2.0.0 existed too back then and brought an Android OS update.
Now a (probably fake) website koplayerpc has registered a new domain name in 2019 and seems to be listed at some places. Original domain from their old Twitter channel is gone.

Maybe try other Emus like MEmu, Nox, Ldplayer, Android X86 in combination with Oracle VirtualBox VM.
There are a few websites listing some Emus and alternatives.
Some support DirectX, most only OpenGL.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I can remember that I had created a thread about Android emulator software on the Duolingo community forum and got some feedback.
Not sure if I saved the old thread for the archives.

Gentianopsis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:08 pm

everything takes incredibly long, both the processor and memory are almost completely occupied (yes, even after I turned off animations and other junk)

What's the Pc spec?

Isn't there a setting menu for single-core vs multi-core, Gpu settings for renderings, etc. on the Emu/Vm?

Or display settings?

Maybe one of the other Emus it runs better amd allows more VM configurations.

There is probably a walk through guide for Android X86 on VirtualBox
(if you get sound, graphic and mouse working with no extra clicks guest (Android) vs host (Windows) mode).

I had some issues to find Emu addon packages when I last tried it...was a long time ago.
I had to touch a few Vm settings on KOPlayer 1.x too.

I can remember I had some corrupted Duolingo app offline/cache lesson file issues (lost progress, corrupted app files) on a much older BlueStacks version.
One of the older versions kinda worked years ago but had some issues with freezes and required restarts.

Have not been using it for ages after the swap to KOPlayer 1.x and then the old Laptop broke down.
Users posted later (around 2017-2019/20) that newer Bluestacks versions had performance-, crash- or freeze issues.
Maybe you find out on a forum which BlueStacks version better works and is more stable, not sure which.

Newer Android Emus required newer Cpus, newer Windows versions, better graphics and driver support (higher OpenGL versions),..

Lower performance Pcs/Laptops are often not on the winner side.

letters are extremely tiny and it is not possible to use the keyboard only.

I read from Lica that V3.106.4 (last one for Android V4.4) doesn't work anymore.
AFAICR forced word banks came in on one of the even earlier app versions (pre crowns in 2016-17).

The Android app always missed a real keyboard toggle switch, even my old V5.52.5.

I get random typing on the phone depending on the crown levels, both translation directions (better than this than the snake with all back to English translations) but not like with the 100% keyword toggle switch on the Web portal you're specifically searching for.

I'm sorry, there are no good options, but maybe we can find out.

Apple users have some issues to easily install an older version or not to upgrade.
Maybe a Duo user had written to me a longer time ago how to manually change back to an older version on IOS. But I forgot.
It's not documented when staff removed the iOS keyword toggle switch or introduced a new account flag for auto-switching.

So many variables exist for iOS and Android in the "extended user profile" and staff regularly runs different new A/B tests.

So sad it's pretty normal we can't influence much with Duolingo, especially the mobile apps.

I doubt anything has improved for later Android app versions (before compatible path/snake rollout in 2022).
Has anyone tried?
If yes, we (community learners) need to write this down.

Is this how it always works or is there any way around

I would have said get an 6.67" Android phone ;)

On a tablet you can't type/tap with two hands as you have to hold the chassis.
One finger tapping sucks.
I better can hold a not so width phone in two hands and quickly type with two thumbs.

Also note: Android app landscape mode was removed long ago.
So there are more issues with landscape + external hardware keywords when you can't make use portrait mode (with a hardware keyboard) because of docking.

Pro: You get "speech to text" with Gboard, which again requires FULL keyboard support funnily enough.
Accuracy varies.
Much better on the mobile app than Chrome Dev browser and on Firefox Nightly accuracy gets down when I click the mic icon in Gboard. Text often gets changed to some nonsense.
Same lauched keyboard Google app, but different results with voice dictation and analysis.
I don't completely understand the whys, not yet.

to get something more similar to the old "Tree" web version of Duolingo for computers?

The only option I currently know of is the Duome Tree register tab:

www.duome.eu/USERNAME/progress

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

I have actually successfully gotten the old Duolingo to load on www-internal, however, it is complicated, requiring replacing the HTML on the page before load from an archived version from January 4, 2023. It seems to work very well, and all lessons and skills are working. My theory on why it redirects now is because they probably set a redirect parameter in their JS file, which automatically detects if you are using www-internal and redirects it to the regular Duolingo site, replacing the HTML makes it use an older version of the JS file which probably doesn't have the redirect parameter.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

7GLCS6S wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:24 pm

I have actually successfully gotten the old Duolingo to load on www-internal, however, it is complicated, requiring replacing the HTML on the page before load from an archived version from January 4, 2023. It seems to work very well, and all lessons and skills are working. My theory on why it redirects now is because they probably set a redirect parameter in their JS file, which automatically detects if you are using www-internal and redirects it to the regular Duolingo site, replacing the HTML makes it use an older version of the JS file which probably doesn't have the redirect parameter.

Very interesting! Where would we get the archived version?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:48 pm

Very interesting! Where would we get the archived version?

So it differs based on what proxy you are using, and it is pretty complicated, however, it is possible. So first you would need the HTML of the old Duolingo http://web.archive.org/web/202301041909 ... lingo.com/, and copy the source of that by right clicking and pressing "view source". Next, in the proxy/interception program of your choice, you need to find a way to stop the requests when you open www-internal.duolingo.com in your browser. Once you have done that, you need to intercept the HTML of www-internal.duolingo.com in the proxy program before it is forwarded to the browser. Then, replace all the HTML (be careful not to delete the content headers), with the old HTML from the above link. Once you have done that, you can forward the request to the browser, and disable the proxy, and now old Duolingo will load. It fully works and it syncs with Duome. Some proxy programs I suggest that will work with this are Fiddler 4 on Windows (not Fiddler Everywhere), Burp Suite on Mac, and Charles as a secondary option on Windows. This is a very hacky way of doing this, but it does work. It might be possible to simplify in the feature, if Duolingo doesn't patch it first.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

There is a comment here that says you can load internal.duolingo, but stop the load before it redirects.

I tried this a few times. Managed to see my tree, but not sure how to use it. A soon as it loads it redirects. Is their an easy way to block redirects? Would a redirect blocker extension work?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

You can see your tree in your DuoMe profile:

https://duome.eu/Corinnebelle/progress

You can even do a lesson, but it redirects to the snake upon exit.

For such lessons you get XP, but no crowns are awarded after you complete all lessons of a skill.

If you practice different languages, switch to the course you want to study before loading DuoMe.

DuoMe also allows viewing all grammar tips of the former trees on a single Html page.

For example: https://duome.eu/tips/en/he
... gives you the list of tips of Hebrew from English.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] Thanks! I really appreciate Duome. The problem is I wonder if I want to start a new course or reset my course, can I do that with Duome?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention]

You can now only remove a course on Duolingo, the reset button from the old extra link is gone:

https://www.duolingo.com/settings/courses

Duome itself has no full control over Duolingo, only reads the data or forwards to direct Urls.

What issue do you see with starting a new language course?
Don't the skill Url from the tree register tab work for you for L0 purple crown skills?

For a complete new course maybe the path/snake on the Duolingo website or most recent app version is the simplest.

For Spanish and French multi A/B and stable Unit path versions (do??) exist.
So Duolingo staff (linguistic team) or contractors are constantly working on new course versions and more content.
Now I really wonder how complete their first rollout for many courses really is.

I'm a bit surprised how short some path courses are like French from German, Portuguese from German and how they manage to mix 3-4 dedicated Infinitive skills into only one Infinitive unit.
Haven't seen more labeled Units.

Guykings
Great Britain

Post by Guykings »

finnintrov wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:42 pm

where do you find that?

This should do

I've now had a chance to test this out, using the free BlueStacks Android emulator, so here are my findings for anyone considering giving it a go.

1. My tree is back! I've been able to complete a lesson, the last Welsh lesson of the Family 1 skill, thus levelling it up to 5 crowns.
    1.1 In the official, up-to-date Duolingo app, and on the hated snake webpage page, this has extended my streak and earned me the usual amount of XP.
    1.2 However, the tree on Duome doesn't seem to have updated. I will edit this post if it does update itself at some future point.

2. I seem to have lost a small amount of progress. The aforementioned Family 1 skill was legendary before, as were Past Dod 2 and Past Cael 2. Family 2 has dropped from level 4 to level 3, and Past Short has dropped from level 3 all the way to level 0! Order has also dropped to 0 (from 1), and I've lost access to Commands 1 and Commands 2, both previously at level 0. All my other skills are unaffected. This represents the loss of two or three weeks' progress.
    2.1 I was able to level Past Short up to one crown (there was only one lesson left to do) and bizarrely got 48 experience for doing so.
    2.2 None of this has affected the Duome tree, which is why I'm able to quote all the levels my skills were at with such confidence.
    2.3 Any progress I make within the emulator persists when I close and reopen it.

3. My user experience has been as follows.
    3.1 When typed input is required, I can type using my physical keyboard with no difficulties.
    3.2 When it comes to clicking on phrases in the wordbank, I can't type the first few letters to select them as you can on the website (which is to be expected, as there was never any reason to include this functionality in the mobile versions). However, it's not difficult to click on the items in the wordbank, provided I use full-screen mode.
    3.3 Everything is just as fast as it is on my phone; faster, even.
    3.4 I can scroll through the tree using the mousewheel or by clicking and dragging.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied and will be switching to this method of using Duolingo, unless, that is, something goes horribly wrong.

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

Guykings wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:04 pm
finnintrov wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:42 pm

where do you find that?

This should do

I've now had a chance to test this out, using the free BlueStacks Android emulator, so here are my findings for anyone considering giving it a go.

1. My tree is back! I've been able to complete a lesson, the last Welsh lesson of the Family 1 skill, thus levelling it up to 5 crowns.
    1.1 In the official, up-to-date Duolingo app, and on the hated snake webpage page, this has extended my streak and earned me the usual amount of XP.
    1.2 However, the tree on Duome doesn't seem to have updated. I will edit this post if it does update itself at some future point.

2. I seem to have lost a small amount of progress. The aforementioned Family 1 skill was legendary before, as were Past Dod 2 and Past Cael 2. Family 2 has dropped from level 4 to level 3, and Past Short has dropped from level 3 all the way to level 0! Order has also dropped to 0 (from 1), and I've lost access to Commands 1 and Commands 2, both previously at level 0. All my other skills are unaffected. This represents the loss of two or three weeks' progress.
    2.1 I was able to level Past Short up to one crown (there was only one lesson left to do) and bizarrely got 48 experience for doing so.
    2.2 None of this has affected the Duome tree, which is why I'm able to quote all the levels my skills were at with such confidence.
    2.3 Any progress I make within the emulator persists when I close and reopen it.

3. My user experience has been as follows.
    3.1 When typed input is required, I can type using my physical keyboard with no difficulties.
    3.2 When it comes to clicking on phrases in the wordbank, I can't type the first few letters to select them as you can on the website (which is to be expected, as there was never any reason to include this functionality in the mobile versions). However, it's not difficult to click on the items in the wordbank, provided I use full-screen mode.
    3.3 Everything is just as fast as it is on my phone; faster, even.
    3.4 I can scroll through the tree using the mousewheel or by clicking and dragging.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied and will be switching to this method of using Duolingo, unless, that is, something goes horribly wrong.

1. The reason for your lost progress is because this DOES NOT SYNC with the workaround website internal-duolingo.com. However anything it SYNCS with everything else: website (old version before update) , the snake AND duome/ progress.

2. You will be able to use your keyboard once you reach level 3 for each skill. 0,1,2 = word bank

3. Below are info about other versions if anyone is curious

4. 5.7.x = friend quest available, LOWER xp points, zulu course. Old tree for SOME people, some still got snake

5. 5.6.x = Double experience x 2 times a day. >20xp / lesson completed. NO ZULU language. No friendquest. Cant toggle pinyin for chinese. WORKS FOR ALL ACCOUNTS
    -. Below 5.6 = No double experience

6. 4.x version = No legendary levels. 1 LESS lesson for each skill than the app just like the old website. BUT show red lingots instead of blue which I find more pleasant.

7. 3.x - WOW totally ancient look. Way before the tree. You can still actually log in. Doesnt sync well with other modern apps.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

Silly question: Can one use
https://androidapksfree.com/duolingo-ap ... -65-5-apk/ on a Mac?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]TheChronotope[/mention]

The APKs are native Android installation files.
You need a runtime for this (Windows 11) or an Android emulator.

Isn't the Mac compatible with Linux?
You will probably find an Android emu which works for Linux and/or Mac.
Or maybe you can use an "Android X86" image for an existing VMWare / Oracle VM VirtualBox installation which is known to work on the MacOs.

Running IOS applications might be easier to achive on your Mac.
But no idea how to install a specific old version from the store.
Or if your MacOS maybe even provides a suitable runtime (and which version) for IOS apps.
But don't ask me. Haven't used one.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention] So I'd have to remove a course and add it again in order to redo a course. I'm planning to redo the Hebrew course at some point. Of course that is way off in the future, I want to get to L6 first but have only half the crowns so far.

[mention]unEssential[/mention] Found a way to get to internal.duolingo That is good news. I look forward to doing that, if I get the opportunity.

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:35 pm

@unEssential Found a way to get to internal.duolingo That is good news. I look forward to doing that, if I get the opportunity.

Yep, I can confirm that this works and similar instructions exist for Chrome as well. It is a lot easier than my previous hacky method of replacing HTML, and all it requires is blocking duolingo.com in the dev tools. It also seems to sync with duome for me as well. I am pretty now pretty sure Duolingo added that redirect intentionally. So now we have a few methods to access the old design, the old version of the app, replacing HTML, and now blocking the redirect.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

finnintrov wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 pm
  1. The reason for your lost progress is because this DOES NOT SYNC with the workaround website internal-duolingo.com.

The www-internal website definitive has sync issues with the mobile Android app.
My two completed German checkpoints and owl (from finishing it on the www-internal web) don't synchronize that well with the app.

App V5.52.5:

• I don't have the owl at the bottom (DE<-EN course is marked as finished on Duome progress page).
  • Section #5 skills are all grey and un-completed and not crown level 1 (only two skills are unlocked and purple)
  • Checkpoint #5 is seen as complete (I can click Practice) and
  • Checkpoint #6 is not registered here as the final end (owl) and
  • all Section #6 skills are still un-completed and not crown level 1

The CP #5 URL https://www.duolingo.com/checkpoint/de/4/bigtest (or www-internal) is being ignored now.

1. You will be able to use your keyboard once you reach level 3 for each skill. 0,1,2 = word bank

Not exactly, or maybe this is also a bit account specific or language course dependent.
Surprisingly, Android V5.52.5 app sometimes gives me typing access including random exercises in the target language (e.g Portuguese).
Have been working a bit on L2 crown level Present 1-3 verb and Infinitive 1-3 skills.

So I can finally say, despite common knowledge from the community and I always was under the same impression myself from earlier app tests in 2017/18, that L2 crown skills won't force you into word banks, not all the time.

Some examples:

Harder challenge:
1 speak
2 cloze-deletion target
3 speak
4 cloze-deletion target
5 speak
6 listen and type with keyboard (target)
7 speak
8 translate into target
9 speak
10 translate into target
11 listen and type with keyboard (target)
12 translate into target
13 translate into target
14 translate into target
15 translate into target
16 translate into target
17 translate into target
18 translate into target

Will need to repeat this as I have not carefully written down, but translate doesn't mean word banks AFAICR.

Normal lesson (Present 3)
1 translate with forced word bank into English
2 speak
3 translate with forced word bank into English
4 speak
5 translate with forced word bank into English
6 speak
7 translate with forced word bank into English
8 listen and fill blank in target (cloze-deletion)
9 speak
10 translate with forced word bank into English
11 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
12 listen and fill blank in target (cloze-deletion)
13 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
14 listen and fill blank in target (cloze-deletion)
15 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
16 translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target (wrong)
17 Marked hard exercise: translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target
18 repeat translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target

Normal lesson Present 3 verbs skill (speaking and listening turned off)
2 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
4 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
6 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
8 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
9 translate with forced word bank into English
10 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
11 translate with forced word bank into English
12 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
13 translate with forced word bank into English
14 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
15 translate with forced word bank into English
16 Marked hard exercise: translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target (wrong)
17 Marked hard exercise: translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target
18 Repeat Marked hard exercise: translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target

Normal lesson Present 3 (speaking and listening turned off)
3 translate with forced word bank into English (wrong)
4 translate with forced word bank into English
5 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
6 translate with forced word bank into English (repeat)
7 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
8 translate with forced word bank into English
9 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (wrong)
11 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (wong)
12 translate with forced word bank into English
14 translate with forced word bank into English
16 translate with forced word bank into English
17 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat f. wrong answer)
18 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
19 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
20 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
21 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
22 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)

Summary for Android V5.52.5:
Green L2 crown skills also offer typing.
I get many TARGET language translations, which is good.
Hard challenges or marked hard exercises won't offer you a word bank but FORCE you into typing, in the TARGET language. Great for me (a long-term PT learner), but probably not much fun for a dyslexic person.
Offered "Hard challenges" (you can either accept or deny) will be almost impossible for a Dyslexic to complete or these persons with a learning disability may need to use Android's Gboard internal "Voice to text / Speech to text" mic dictation; but I more often need to correct the text several times and sometimes the spoken amd well detected text gets changed to some nonsense afterwards and words which obviously don't exist in the configured language.
Using a single language and not multi-language typing makes the voice mic detection more accurate.

Snake comparison:
Unit 49 Infinitives on the Web (Chrome Dev vs FF Nightly mobile+web) gave me only word banks (see the new Web bug report for missing typing option) for all questions, for 2 lessons.
The translation direction when starting a new snake lesson was ALWAYS (for all!) into English.
Makes no sense for a long-term Portuguese learner that way. This is just a true beginner option, not to scare them away immediately.

Additional note:
I have no idea how three independent PT Infinitive1-3 skills (tree) can only map onto one Unit 49 Infinitive description.
The browser search function is also broken on the snake. Only 4 to 5 matches are found for keyword "Unit".

1. Below are info about other versions if anyone is curious
  2. 5.7.x = friend quest available, LOWER xp points, zulu course. Old tree for SOME people, some still got snake
  3. 5.6.x = Double experience x 2 times a day. >20xp / lesson completed.
  4. 4.x version = No legendary levels. 1 LESS lesson for each skill than the app just like the old website. BUT show red lingots instead of blue which I find more pleasant.

V5.52.5 (16. April 2022) will give you:

• old trees
  • purple L6 crown Legendary skills: I do see the first 4 in my Portuguese course, don't have more
  • sometimes you'll see the bonus skill row, sometimes it simply disappears
  • leveled up purple Legendary bonus skill "Christmas" recently disappeared from the bonus row in my PT course
  • Double experience only for next 15 minutes once the last skill lesson is getting completed and you start a new lesson: But I don't get it for specific time deadlines (early riser) like you described with V5.6.x
  • Harder lesson, double XP popups (next lesson double XP if you accept the challenge)
  • blue Gems on the app
  • access to Lightning round and Ramp Up challenge (best used with a registered teacher account in a created school classroom which excludes you from A/B testing and only gives you stable trees for ALL languages, on the whole account)

I can't say for sure if anything improves with Android app 5.6.x or 5.7.x for new features as long as the old tree design could be maintained.
But I doubt there will be heavy improvements for "toggle keyboard" or translation direction switches for L2 or lower L1/L0 crown levels?

All in all 5.52.5 doesn't work too bad. I think I can suggest it to you.
But will have to recheck lower L0 and L1 crown levels how the app exactly behaves (on my account).

With that knowledge maybe it indeed makes sense to start the DE->FR contributor course on the old tree design as a web alternative.
If I never have to translate into French (with tapping or typing) then it would get a bit boring with one year French under my belt.
I don't want be to forced to type that much in my native German language; that's IMHO the wrong translation direction.
Tapping of German word banks is IMHO extremely pointless, for English or Portuguese this would be more bearable but means another course.

finnintrov

Post by finnintrov »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:02 am
  1. The reason for your lost progress is because this DOES NOT SYNC with the workaround website internal-duolingo.com.

The www-internal website definitive has sync issues with the mobile Android app.
My two completed German checkpoints and owl (from finishing it on the www-internal web) don't synchronize that well with the app.

App V5.52.5:

• I don't have the owl at the bottom (DE<-EN course is marked as finished on Duome progress page).
  • Section #5 skills are all grey and un-completed and not crown level 1 (only two skills are unlocked and purple)
  • Checkpoint #5 is seen as complete (I can click Practice) and
  • Checkpoint #6 is not registered here as the final end (owl) and
  • all Section #6 skills are still un-completed and not crown level 1

The CP #5 URL https://www.duolingo.com/checkpoint/de/4/bigtest (or www-internal) is being ignored now.

1. You will be able to use your keyboard once you reach level 3 for each skill. 0,1,2 = word bank

Not exactly, or maybe this is also a bit account specific or language course dependent.
Surprisingly, Android V5.52.5 app sometimes gives me typing access including random exercises in the target language (e.g Portuguese).
Have been working a bit on L2 crown level Present 1-3 verb and Infinitive 1-3 skills.

So I can finally say, despite common knowledge from the community and I always was under the same impression myself from earlier app tests in 2017/18, that L2 crown skills won't force you into word banks, not all the time.

Some examples:

Harder challenge:
1 speak
2 cloze-deletion target
3 speak
4 cloze-deletion target
5 speak
6 listen and type with keyboard (target)
7 speak
8 translate into target
9 speak
10 translate into target
11 listen and type with keyboard (target)
12 translate into target
13 translate into target
14 translate into target
15 translate into target
16 translate into target
17 translate into target
18 translate into target

Will need to repeat this as I have not carefully written down, but translate doesn't mean word banks AFAICR.

Normal lesson (Present 3)
2 speak
4 speak
6 speak
8 listen and fill blank in target (cloze-deletion)
9 speak
11 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
12 listen and fill blank in target (cloze-deletion)
14 listen and fill blank in target (cloze-deletion)
16 translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target (wrong)
18 repeat translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target

Normal lesson Present 3 verbs skill (speaking and listening turned off)
4 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
6 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
8 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
9 translate with forced word bank into English
10 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
11 translate with forced word bank into English
12 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
13 translate with forced word bank into English
14 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
15 translate with forced word bank into English
16 Marked hard exercise: translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target (wrong)
18 Repeat Marked hard exercise: translate with typing (forced keyboard, no toggle) into target

Normal lesson Present 3 (speaking and listening turned off)
3 translate with forced word bank into English (wrong)
4 translate with forced word bank into English
5 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
6 translate with forced word bank into English (repeat)
7 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target
8 translate with forced word bank into English
9 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (wrong)
11 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (wong)
12 translate with forced word bank into English
14 translate with forced word bank into English
16 translate with forced word bank into English
17 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat f. wrong answer)
18 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
19 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
20 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
21 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)
22 translate with typing (keyboard, offered word bank toggle) into target (repeat)

Summary for Android V5.52.5:
Green L2 crown skills also offer typing.
I get many TARGET language translations, which is good.
Hard challenges or marked hard exercises won't offer you a word bank but FORCE you into typing, in the TARGET language. Great for me (a long-term PT learner), but probably not much fun for a dyslexic person.
Offered "Hard challenges" (you can either accept or deny) will be almost impossible for a Dyslexic to complete or these persons with a learning disability may need to use Android's Gboard internal "Voice to text / Speech to text" mic dictation; but I more often need to correct the text several times and sometimes the spoken amd well detected text gets changed to some nonsense afterwards and words which obviously don't exist in the configured language.
Using a single language and not multi-language typing makes the voice mic detection more accurate.

Snake comparison:
Unit 49 Infinitives on the Web (Chrome Dev vs FF Nightly mobile+web) gave me only word banks (see the new Web bug report for missing typing option) for all questions, for 2 lessons.
The translation direction when starting a new snake lesson was ALWAYS (for all!) into English.
Makes no sense for a long-term Portuguese learner that way. This is just a true beginner option, not to scare them away immediately.

Additional note:
I have no idea how three independent PT Infinitive1-3 skills (tree) can only map onto one Unit 49 Infinitive description.
The browser search function is also broken on the snake. Only 4 to 5 matches are found for keyword "Unit".

1. Below are info about other versions if anyone is curious
  2. 5.7.x = friend quest available, LOWER xp points, zulu course. Old tree for SOME people, some still got snake
  3. 5.6.x = Double experience x 2 times a day. >20xp / lesson completed.
  4. 4.x version = No legendary levels. 1 LESS lesson for each skill than the app just like the old website. BUT show red lingots instead of blue which I find more pleasant.

V5.52.5 (16. April 2022) will give you:

• old trees
  • purple L6 crown Legendary skills: I do see the first 4 in my Portuguese course, don't have more
  • sometimes you'll see the bonus skill row, sometimes it simply disappears
  • leveled up purple Legendary bonus skill "Christmas" recently disappeared from the bonus row in my PT course
  • Double experience only for next 15 minutes once the last skill lesson is getting completed and you start a new lesson: But I don't get it for specific time deadlines (early riser) like you described with V5.6.x
  • Harder lesson, double XP popups (next lesson double XP if you accept the challenge)
  • blue Gems on the app
  • access to Lightning round and Ramp Up challenge (best used with a registered teacher account in a created school classroom which excludes you from A/B testing and only gives you stable trees for ALL languages, on the whole account)

I can't say for sure if anything improves with Android app 5.6.x or 5.7.x for new features as long as the old tree design could be maintained.
But I doubt there will be heavy improvements for "toggle keyboard" or translation direction switches for L2 or lower L1/L0 crown levels?

All in all 5.52.5 doesn't work too bad. I think I can suggest it to you.
But will have to recheck lower L0 and L1 crown levels how the app exactly behaves (on my account).

With that knowledge maybe it indeed makes sense to start the DE->FR contributor course on the old tree design as a web alternative.
If I never have to translate into French (with tapping or typing) then it would get a bit boring with one year French under my belt.
I don't want be to forced to type that much in my native German language; that's IMHO the wrong translation direction.
Tapping of German word banks is IMHO extremely pointless, for English or Portuguese this would be more bearable but means another course.

Hi, Ive checked again. Well actually with 5.60 - 5.61 you can still type from level 2 (green). Bonus 2 double xp bottles (morning & night). A bit cleaner interface if you are on a phone.

You could find it here if you wanna give it a try.

https://androidapksfree.com/duolingo-ap ... -60-3-apk/

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

7GLCS6S wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:41 am

Yep, I can confirm that this works and similar instructions exist for Chrome as well. It is a lot easier than my previous hacky method of replacing HTML, and all it requires is blocking duolingo.com in the dev tools.

Thank you, [mention]7GLCS6S[/mention] . I tried doing this on Chrome but couldn't figure out how to block duolingo.com. :geek: Any chance you could walk us through it?

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

TheChronotope wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:48 am

Thank you, @7GLCS6S . I tried doing this on Chrome but couldn't figure out how to block duolingo.com. :geek: Any chance you could walk us through it?

So go to the dev tools as normal, and then go to the network tab. Then go to www.duolingo.com. It should register in the network tab, so once you find it, right click on it and click block request domain. That's it. Now go to www-internal.duolingo.com, and the redirect should not occur. This only works when dev tools is open, so if it is closed, it will proceed to redirect. However, you can close the dev tools once www-internal.duolingo.com has loaded successfully.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

7GLCS6S wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:53 pm
TheChronotope wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:48 am

Thank you, @7GLCS6S . I tried doing this on Chrome but couldn't figure out how to block duolingo.com. :geek: Any chance you could walk us through it?

So go to the dev tools as normal, and then go to the network tab. Then go to www.duolingo.com. It should register in the network tab, so once you find it, right click on it and click block request domain. That's it. Now go to www-internal.duolingo.com, and the redirect should not occur. This only works when dev tools is open, so if it is closed, it will proceed to redirect. However, you can close the dev tools once www-internal.duolingo.com has loaded successfully.

Thanks so much. I'm not seeing it. I access [fn] + [F12] on my macbook and the dev tools comes up, but when I load duolingo.com and go to the network tab, then right-click, I don't see an option to block request domain the site. (I don't even see duolingo.com pop up on the list of of pages under Names.) I'm very new to this, and don't know what I'm doing, so I'm afraid of configuring things in such a way that it'll be hard to undo. Alas, [mention]7GLCS6S[/mention], I can read a few languages, just not this one,…but thank you. :)

7GLCS6S

Post by 7GLCS6S »

TheChronotope wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:51 pm

Thanks so much. I'm not seeing it. I access [fn] + [F12] on my macbook and the dev tools comes up, but when I load duolingo.com and go to the network tab, then right-click, I don't see an option to block request domain the site. (I don't even see duolingo.com pop up on the list of of pages under Names.) I'm very new to this, and don't know what I'm doing, so I'm afraid of configuring things in such a way that it'll be hard to undo. Alas, @7GLCS6S, I can read a few languages, just not this one,…but thank you. :)

You should see the option to block it in the network tab. I will upload a screenshot so you know what I am talking about. Image

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I was sent a link to an old copy of duo. I have no idea if it work. It could be full of virus. https://duolingo.en.uptodown.com/androi ... 190999 Not my scene. I am nearly ready to leave duo and concentrate on other methods.
If you touch it, you do so at your own risk. ( Remember to wash your hands ) :geek:

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Return to “Announcements by Duome”