Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Will Duome start tracking more stats from the path/snake?

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

Klempner von Beruf
Israel

Counting units

Post by Klempner von Beruf »

Could Duome add stats for the number of units/circles completed on the snake? Clearly Duolingo doesn’t care about its old members, so might as well embrace the disaster

boatswainsmate
United States of America

Publish percentages for each unit please

Post by boatswainsmate »

I've noticed that some units, regardless of level, are easier than others. I would like to focus on the units that I'm struggling with, but without writing down the number of the unit with a pad and pencil, I have no way of knowing which units those are! Since I do lessons whenever I have a minute here and there sometimes, I don't always have some centralized way of keeping track of which units need more consideration and practice.

What would help is if at the top of the unit somewhere, the overall percentage score I've made for each unit is published, so I know which ones to go back and rework until I fully understand them. It would also help me to remember what specific aspect of the language I need to read up on from outside sources (i.e. dative pronouns, etc) when I get back home.

Another good idea would be to permit us to sort lessons based on the ones we need to work on the most, so they are all in a row. That way we can always be working on the unit that has the lowest score, until we are proficient at those levels. I know you have a service where you can review mistakes, but it isn't always clear which unit the mistake was from so I can go back and read the tooltips and understand what point I missed that needs review.

But with that said, let me say thank you for what you have done with this program. I am finding it much much easier to read books and magazines in German now, 2 years after getting serious with Duolingo. It is a matter of going over material frequently, until the structures, words, and sounds of the language become like an old shoe--- soft and comfortable. Repetition of each section makes it all soak in subconsciously, and I often find myself thinking in German even though it is not my native language. I'm sure if I went to visit Germany, all the puzzle pieces would coalesce and everything Duolingo has been drilling into me would catalyze into a full, fluid comprehension and use of the language. But right now I'm happy reading Goethe in the original language, and realizing how beautiful it is, since now the pronunciation of the words makes poetic sense, and his use of German words makes a gruff language beautiful. And to me, that is what Duolingo is about... no more having to find translations of literature and trusting the translator's opinion on what is being portrayed....I can make my own judgements and evaluations reading it first hand. Thanks for giving me that gift, a gift which goes beyond Christmas into every day.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Publish percentages for each unit please

Post by IceVajal »

I agree, but Duome isn't Duolingo! You would need to address Duolingo, but it seems that Duolingo don't care much about the users and their wishes...

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Re: Publish percentages for each unit please

Post by Corinnebelle »

Maybe [mention]duome[/mention] will be able to make something for units. I don't know what information is available from the new UI to make something like that. I'm glad Duolingo has been helping you learn German! :D

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

PhilipK833578d
Canada

Duome to show stats and progress for Path

Post by PhilipK833578d »

Would it be possible to show also the new path statistics to the user info like which path level is attained, for example ? And probably how long would take to finish the path ? Since it is the new official paradigm the old statistics are less relevant. Like estimated "golden owl" completion times make no sense since there is not way to skip the additional steps on the path.

When comparing myself against the peers I would also like to know how far ahead or behind am I on the path.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Will Duome start tracking more stats from the path/snake?

Post by TheChronotope »

I'm curious about something. Recognising that www-internal.duolingo.com may not be around forever, and acknowledging that the upgrade is here to stay, I'm wondering if Duome will start tracking stats from Duolingo that are new to the path/snake. Specifically, [mention]duome[/mention], will it someday be possible to show details about how many nodes, lessons, and units are completed or remain to be completed in a course? Will this site start counting new words learnt on the path/snake? Or will Duome as we know it freeze its stats once the tree workaround is no longer possible? (I also notice, for example, that I'm no longer seeing crowns increase from lessons completed on the path.) This sounds complex and labour-intensive. Still…I love the motivation that comes from using my Duome stats…and so…obsessive – and grateful – minds want to know! Thank you. 8-) :ugeek: :geek:

Corinnebelle

Re: Will Duome start tracking more stats from the path/snake?

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Klempner von Beruf[/mention] [mention]boatswainsmate[/mention] [mention]PhilipK833578d[/mention] [mention]TheChronotope[/mention] I merged all your topics together because they're all asking for the same thing. I hope you don't mind.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

Someone on the Duome team would need to provide a definitive answer. However, my understanding is that Duome simply displays the user data that is made available by Duolingo in each user's Extended User Profile, which can be found at, for example, https://www.duolingo.com/users/GrahamWarr (replace my Duo userid with your own to see your data). I've never seen anywhere that defines what all the fields in this file are. I assume that Duolingo has made that info available to the Duome team. It would be interesting to know if Duolingo has updated this data file to include Path data.
Anyway, this probably explains why Crowns aren't being counted any more, because I assume that Duolingo has moth-balled the concept and isn't updating the EUP.

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

Thanks, [mention]GrahamW[/mention], for the input, and thanks, [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], for merging our queries.

It would be fantastic to have an answer from [mention]duome[/mention] about this, especially as it seems that more and more glitches are popping up now in this brave new snaky world.

@GrahamW, I'm intrigued by this idea of mothballing and wonder if it applies even to simple discrepancies like the fact that "Super" subscribers are still listed on Duome as "Plus," etc. Why wouldn't Duolingo just feed data on new features to Duome?

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

Now that the tree is no more, what can we look forward to with stats, crowns, etc., [mention]duome[/mention] ? Grateful for any feedback on the questions we raised in this thread.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

[mention]TheChronotope[/mention]

Direct skill URL links still seem to work from the Tree register tab on the https://duome.eu/USERNAME/progress/ page.
Works today both on PC (Firefox Nightly) as well as FF Nightly on Android.
On mobile so far with full typing support on my bit older FF version (end of 2022) too which is (temporarily??) gone on the Web.

Now I only need to try to get Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript load on the Home/Learn page to renable the missing audio.
Hope he can find an easy fix.
Nice that the old tree crown sessions (=lessons) can be launched so his old code reading html div tags won't be completely broken immediately just because of the path/snake switch.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

Thanks, [mention]Thomas.Heiss[/mention]. I have tried to work from the progress page on several occasions, with mixed results. The lessons register sometimes, or not, or progress will disappear from the Duome tree after awhile. Generally, only one skill will update like this per session, no more. Given this unreliability, I can't say that direct-skill URL links really work for language practice anymore. Depending on how far along you are on the path vs. snake, the link will simply redirect you to the latest lesson on the snake, etc.

But this is not my question. My question for [mention]duome[/mention] is, how will the Duome site register stats now that the tree is not a viable option? How will Duolingo and Duome work (or not work) to transfer date from the snake? Obrigada.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:24 am

Now I only need to try to get Camilo's TreeEnhancer userscript load on the Home/Learn page to renable the missing audio.
Hope he can find an easy fix.
Nice that the old tree crown sessions (=lessons) can be launched so his old code reading html div tags won't be completely broken immediately just because of the path/snake switch.

PS I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean here. :(

-aks-

Post by -aks- »

TheChronotope wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:45 am

PS I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean here. :(

this https://github.com/camiloaa/duolingotreeenhancer

🇺🇸🇷🇺🇪🇸

oli
Kenya

Post by oli »

I think we should complain but how who has an idea

Return to “Requests new Duome features”