Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo switching Gboard to wrong language

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Duolingo switching Gboard to wrong language

Post by Anitarrc »

Am i the only one concerned ?:

New issue in Duolingo for Android:
Since 5 days Duolingo has started interfering with Gboard settings and it drives me nuts.
My first ( default)blanguage combination in Gboard is ES (LATAM) - FR - EN.
Then PT (BR) - ES- FR
And so forth. For French I use a Canadian keyboard, I detest AZERTY. All the 15 years in France I also used a Spanish or Portuguese keyboard on my computer.

Now for Portuguese Duolingo forces me to a Portuguese (PT) keyboard with Spanish spellcheck which switches at Random to French.
My issue is that it means for every single sentence I need to switch the keyboard twice to type Portuguese (BR) which they teach and which i need for my job. If I forget to switch I often get mistakes because it will "correct" my Portuguese sentence to Spanish.

And yes, I tried PT to French and it switched my keyboard to AZERTY which I never installed and never will.

How do I stop this? So far only PT and French play up.

No I didn't install any upgrades, I am on 5.65.9.

LICA98
Finland

Re: Duolingo switching Gboard to wrong language

Post by LICA98 »

well I just tried (I also use PT-BR) and everything seems to be normal for me, when you have to type in Portuguese it gives you the appropriate keyboard automatically 🤔

btw if you use Gboard then you can set a QWERTY layout for every language... that's what I use for French and other languages that have non-standard layouts

also if you have 2 languages that are very similar (like ES&PT) it's better to not place them in the same combination so that they don't interfere with each other, i.e. it would make more sense to have ES-FR-EN as combination 1 and PT-FR-EN as combination 2

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Not working anymore

Post by Anitarrc »

Dear [mention]LICA98[/mention] thank you.
My gboard behaved exactly as you described it before.
Yes, all my settings are qwerty, except for Russian and Serbian for obvious reasons.

I tried to set the 2nd group to PT 🇧🇷-NL -EN🇦🇺. As you suggested
There is NO PT 🇵🇹 and NO FR azerty in my settings.
ONLY in Duolingo a new keyboard is inserted at the bottom which I did Not install.

Screenshot_20230125-074451_Duolingo.jpg
Screenshot_20230125-074451_Duolingo.jpg (220.46 KiB) Viewed 467 times

It sounds unbelievable, i know.
Maybe some settings were changed by a program ( DL) ?

Attachments
Screenshot_20230125-063559_Duolingo.jpg
Screenshot_20230125-063559_Duolingo.jpg (350.24 KiB) Viewed 467 times
LICA98
Finland

Re: Not working anymore

Post by LICA98 »

what happens if you delete all layouts except for EN? what kind of keyboard will it give you then?

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

There clearly is a new issue with Duolingo which also shows up for me on the Portuguese course.

Using Android app V5.52.5.

Brazilian Portuguese keyboard with QWERTZ has been installed since 1.5 years.

Suddenly Duolingo switches to a new Português (Portugal) keyboard - based on Qwertz - which is NOT installed.
I see "Pt - De - En" at the space bar which means multiple language input while typing.

On all the 4 dedicated keyboards a single language is configured and Voice typing limited to only one language to improve accuracy.

Nothing was changed here on the phone or on the Android app. No updates.

Duolingo before was always switching back and forth between Brazilian Portuguese and the English keyboard just fine.

I heard 1-2 years ago (community forums) that there are issues while Duolingo forces to use an internal keyboard on Gboard which is not installed.

I don't want to have to switch between another keyboard as French is installed here too (for Busuu) and having to press the language flag 4-5 times, eaxh single time when their internal keyboard reappears which each question/challenge.

Seems to be a flag which was activated on our accounts recently.

Note: This change is NOT related with the maintenance update from 23. January 2023.
Have that problem for a few more days/weeks.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I submitted a bug report just now to Duolingo staff.

Reference code: 5358214

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Could maybe be also related to the new Gboard app version (beta channel) 12.6.06.491625702-beta-arm64-v8a which got released on 18. Januar 2023.
I think I also saw it happening with the previous Gboard version.

I asked staff to file a bug report to the Google company too.

Q: Have you all updated the Gboard app? Are you on the Beta channel?

For how long do you have the problem? Several weeks or months? Last 2-3 Gboard updates?
I can't exactly remember, sorry.
But I think I had that issue before 18. January 2023.
Was working for a longer time last year, not sure for Nov/Dec.

Return to “Duolingo”