Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Re-do lessons. At ALL. MANY times

Tips and tricks ...

FredDibner2
Spain

Re-do lessons. At ALL. MANY times

Post by FredDibner2 »

Hi.. i need repetition. I need to re do lessons. There seems no way. Just rush thru....next one...on and on. Help.

Also. I find their icons, etc, to access various parts of program, the most non intuitive set up layout...ever. im glad i havent spent money on it!!!!

Stasia
Poland

Re: Re-do lessons. At ALL. MANY times

Post by Stasia »

FredDibner2 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:52 pm

Hi.. i need repetition. I need to re do lessons. There seems no way. Just rush thru....next one...on and on. Help.

Also. I find their icons, etc, to access various parts of program, the most non intuitive set up layout...ever. im glad i havent spent money on it!!!!

Are you on the "snake" (the new/linear layout) or on the "tree" (the old layout where you can choose what lessons you want to practice)? The old tree is much better when it comes to planning and repetition.

You can access the old tree here:
https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

There, you can return to practice any skill that you want, as many times as you need, even if it's turned gold (completed) or purple (completed to the "legendary" level).

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

FredDibner2 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:52 pm

Go to https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress, change the text "YourUsername" with your actual username, press Enter and scroll down until you see the tabbed form.

The tab "Tree" contains all the skills in the old "tree" format. Clicking on any "leaf" will open a new browser tab with the corresponding skill for you to practice.

Tip. You might want to bookmark your duome progress page.

Stasia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:01 am

You can access the old tree here:
https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

Not anymore, it seems; the link now redirects to the usual https://www.duolingo.com/learn page.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

A tip: on each skill clicking on the crown links to practice, clicking on the circle links to lessons. Handy when you've done legendary already or don't want to do it right now.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:18 pm

A tip: on each skill clicking on the crown links to practice, clicking on the circle links to lessons. Handy when you've done legendary already or don't want to do it right now.

That's not working for me anymore, either, now.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

JudieLC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:59 pm

Sorry to hear that! Can you see yourself on Duome like me? I hope this isn't the writing on the wall for all of us.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:17 am
JudieLC wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:59 pm

Sorry to hear that! Can you see yourself on Duome like me? I hope this isn't the writing on the wall for all of us.

Yes, I can see myself on Duome. Clicking on the circles and crowns on my progress page both take me to the snake, now.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] Why does it work for me and not for you? [mention]duome[/mention] I get redirected to the snake after I finish a lesson, so I don't go any further than the lingots page after a lesson. You don't even get a lesson?

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:29 am

@JudieLC Why does it work for me and not for you? @duome I get redirected to the snake after I finish a lesson, so I don't go any further than the lingots page after a lesson. You don't even get a lesson?

No idea. It just worked for me when I switched to Arabic. Was not working on Spanish. Will keep checking.

Deleted User 4833

Check it out! I just made that baby turn blue. 8-)

Though, I'd already done legendary in Arabic on the app when I came back to Duolingo and reviewed everything before I moved on from where I was when I stopped doing Duolingo two years. I had to, as I didn't remember enough to just start where I'd left off. So on the app, I am legendary for "Intro to Arabic" through all but the last two sets of lessons in Unit 7.

Deleted User 4833

JudieLC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:32 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:29 am

@JudieLC Why does it work for me and not for you? @duome I get redirected to the snake after I finish a lesson, so I don't go any further than the lingots page after a lesson. You don't even get a lesson?

No idea. It just worked for me when I switched to Arabic. Was not working on Spanish. Will keep checking.

And now it's working again for me in Spanish.

Might have something to do with my browser cache.

Or maybe I wasn't switched to the language on the snake that I was trying to get to from Duome? Probably you have to make sure your Duolingo page is on the language you want to practice by launching a lesson from Duome.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 am

Probably you have to make sure your Duolingo page is on the language you want to practice by launching a lesson from Duome.

Indeed, that definitely must be it.

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Links not working

Post by Anitarrc »

Sorry [mention]gmads[/mention] is right.
Here in the thread the link leads to a Portuguese welcome page and in the duome tree I end up in the app.
What am I doing wrong?

gmads
Mexico

Re: Links not working

Post by gmads »

Anitarrc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:52 pm

Sorry @gmads is right.
Here in the thread the link leads to a Portuguese welcome page and in the duome tree I end up in the app.
What am I doing wrong?

Which link?

Cell phones favor opening installed apps over web pages.

Deleted User 4833

You can open Duolingo on a web browser on a phone but it does not seem to have a few of the features that the desktop version has.

Samara858057
United States of America

Post by Samara858057 »

Good info all, thanks. I like repetition also. I find when I do this "snake" business and go back after a few weeks to reach the legendary status(or whatever they call it), I'm quite rusty in some areas

Nathalie
France

Post by Nathalie »

I've been reviewing past lessons by clicking on the circle, but clicking on the crown (on both Mac and iPhone) only takes me to "Error 404. Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Try going to duolingo.com, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook."

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Nathalie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:55 am

I've been reviewing past lessons by clicking on the circle, but clicking on the crown (on both Mac and iPhone) only takes me to "Error 404. Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Try going to duolingo.com, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook."

That's normal (now). Those are the OLD tree direct skill urls.

Duolingo has removed all tree URLs (for starting crown sessions or practicing review exercises) with a rolled out website update in February 2023; this also effects old links on the Duome progress page, unfortunately.
Looks like all old code was removed as they want to force EVERYONE into the path/snake.

At the moment I'm not aware of a direct replacement of discontinued skill practice links.
Most units have 1-2 barbell practice buttons on the Duolingo website.
But the placement is different in the Portuguese path (either the middle, second sometimes comes before the end, first one varies and could also be placed more at the top).

Maxime has introduced a new "Tree" register tab which shows direct links for a specific skill to the 2-3 crown levels (=lessons) and how it maps spread over to 2-3 units.
Do you see the black little bullet point below a given skill name? If you hover over it, Duome (within the tree tab) will show you the linked unit numbers which that skill refers.
If you manually go to the 2-3 unit # numbers, you can click the 1-2 barbell buttons to start a "personalized practice" on the path for the chosen unit #.

Maybe this could be further automated. But I'm not so sure what lesson content exactly is behind the first or second practice barbell button for a path unit as the ordering varies and more than one skill content is usually covered by a path unit.

Maybe you should "request" from Duolingo staff that you want to practice a path unit for review but don't want to do Legendary levels.

As pointed out in another thread by someone, there is a hidden trophy challenge level which you could use for a REVIEW and which gives you 40 XP (the start button mentions this):

• You just have to enter the level number for that path unit manually in the URL field.
  • Like if the unit has 5 levels, the trophy challenge number will be #6.
  • If the unit has 10 (round circles) levels -- including chests and stories -- the last trophy challenge number will be #11.

https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/xx/level/6
https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/xx/level/11

To get an idea what old skill name maps to which 2-3 unit # numbers check the Duome "Tree" register tab (black bold bullet points below the skill name).
And then either click on the 2 personalized practice buttons or go for the (hidden) trophy challenge level.
The latter only makes sense if your path is already legendary and you have completed all the 3 crown levels for the mapped 2-3 different skill names, so you won't miss out any of the taught content.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Nathalie
France

Post by Nathalie »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:17 pm

Maxime has introduced a new "Tree" register tab which shows direct links for a specific skill to the 2-3 crown levels (=lessons) and how it maps spread over to 2-3 units.
Do you see the black little bullet point below a given skill name? If you hover over it, Duome (within the tree tab) will show you the linked unit numbers which that skill refers.
If you manually go to the 2-3 unit # numbers, you can click the 1-2 barbell buttons to start a "personalized practice" on the path for the chosen unit #.

I don't see any black little bullet point on both iPhone or Mac. The barbell I do see and use every day.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:17 pm

Maybe you should "request" from Duolingo staff that you want to practice a path unit for review but don't want to do Legendary levels.

As pointed out in another thread by someone, there is a hidden trophy challenge level which you could use for a REVIEW and which gives you 40 XP (the start button mentions this):

• You just have to enter the level number for that path unit manually in the URL field.
  • Like if the unit has 5 levels, the trophy challenge number will be #6.
  • If the unit has 10 (round circles) levels -- including chests and stories -- the last trophy challenge number will be #11.

https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/xx/level/6
https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/xx/level/11

To get an idea what old skill name maps to which 2-3 unit # numbers check the Duome "Tree" register tab (black bold bullet points below the skill name).
And then either click on the 2 personalized practice buttons or go for the (hidden) trophy challenge level.
The latter only makes sense if your path is already legendary and you have completed all the 3 crown levels for the mapped 2-3 different skill names, so you won't miss out any of the taught content.

I do all the Legendaries during lessons plus the extra ones that have 8 levels @ 40XP each (always 8 levels.) Don't know if those are the same ones you spoke of, as they're just there, not hidden at all. Every time I finish the extra Legendary on the Mac, all the yellow circles become purple and the trophy is replaced by a purple sparkly gem -- the whole thing is very pretty. On the iPhone, the yellow circles stay yellow, but the trophy has a sparkly brown gem on top, not as pretty as the purple one.

I've only been taking lessons since March 8, still not understand much about the system, and can't even tell it's the tree or the snake that I have.

One thing I truly appreciate is DL app on iPhone. The units in the app are numbered completely different from Mac and Android, which confused me at first, but after I learned to ignore it, I saw that the sections clearly indicate the CEFR level (or at least, DL's equivalence). For instance, sections 1-3 are A1; section 4 is A2; section 5-6 are B1; section 7-8 are B2. It helps me to see my progress more concretely -- and best of all, it tells me ahead which grammar concept is to be covered in each section. Grammar is my love so every day I feels a boost just from seeing the word "subjunctive" in my current section (such a nerd I am.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Nathalie wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:37 pm

and can't even tell it's the tree or the snake that I have.

The path got rolled out in January 2023 to all users (on IOS, Web) or even November 2022, was originally planned at the earlier date.
Some users got it earlier in summer 2022 while it was being A/B tested.
Most recent app versions from the Google Play or Apple stores only use the path/snake.

One thing I truly appreciate is DL app on iPhone.

The IOS platform is staff's favourite testing horse.
You will often find new stuff there first which was not developed for the Web or Android, much earlier.

This can be good, or quite bad.
Many users complained that staff suddenly had removed the toggle keyboard button on the IOS app 2-3 years ago and option was NOT always available for all questions.
This is a clear example how it can backfire when an app auto updates too soon.

Way too much nonsense got reimplemented on the Web portal, coming from their two mobile platforms.
Like this match exercises, removed typing, etc.

The units in the app are numbered completely different from Mac and Android, which confused me at first, but after I learned to ignore it, I saw that the sections clearly indicate the CEFR level (or at least, DL's equivalence). For instance, sections 1-3 are A1; section 4 is A2; section 5-6 are B1; section 7-8 are B2.

I don't see these IOS sections.

Originally on the old tree the CEFR mapping of sections and checkpoints followed this declaration (slightly different, A2 up to CP #5, B1 starting CP #6):

https://duolingo.hobune.stream/comment/ ... ed-courses

Will have to check if this old cached Url might work.
There also was a CEFR blog article earlier (for the tree).
In general there is less B2 stuff, B1 spanned 2+ sections and A2 was divided into two sections for A2.1 and A2.2.

If they (staff) have pressed the A2 content into only one path category instead of two, well, then let it be like this. World won't go under.
School classrooms (for the Web) don't show the new IOS category names to me.

It helps me to see my progress more concretely

Yes I understand.
Same category filtering was happening on the Busuu web portal (+IOS app).
Unfortunately they removed the very best sub view layout (how a lesson/topic is splitted into sub modules/different exercises) and it seems they're rolling it out with important things removed to newer Busuu Android app versions.
Now every Busuu Android user is screaming they want it back.
No idea why they didn't listen to me only to pick the category list filtering and new checkpoints, but to leave the lesson sub menu with separate buttons to start modules or to review exercises.

and best of all, it tells me ahead which grammar concept is to be covered in each section.

Grammar is my love so every day I feels a boost just from seeing the word "subjunctive" in my current section (such a nerd I am.)

You would have loved the OLD volunteer contributor French tree3 which was in A/B testing in 2018.

CEFR course redesign moved away from strict grammar drilling and focuses now on 5000-6000+ vocabulary.
Skill/topic names on the old tree got some theme oriented names and dedicated verb tense skills or Subjunctive drills got removed and content merged into the CEFR skills.

There is a clear shift.
Staff obviously has always hated the very detailed grammar Web T&N from volunteers, so now you don't know in a French or Spanish tree what is exactly hidden behind a meaningless skill name.

Exception to this are the new grammar skill names like Sub1-3, Past tense 1-8.
They couldn't/didn't want to give it concrete Past names like Simple, Imperfect, Present Perfect, Future Perfect, Passé Composé,...

Single circles (now called levels on a path) had a specific longer name both on the app and the web.
My Portuguese old tree has four dedicated Subjunctive skills with full sentence translations, not only filling out verb conjugation tables.

The laddering PT->FR tree has multiple verb tense skills top, even Subjunctive Preterito Perfeito / Imperfect which DE->FR is missing.

So I/we can directly pick what we want to practice, level up (crown levels 1-5 + Legendary), finish first crown level, review later,...

The DE->FR is based on a clearer grammar focus and "only" has roughly over 120 skills.
This means you don't need to wade 3.8+ years or longer -- as a TRUE French beginner -- through the Duolingo course to learn the basics and to get the bigger Romance grammar picture.

I don't think that I would be doing 6-10 lessons every day in a new French course.
But I will keep holding back from starting the ultra-long CEFR Spanish or French (from English) trees or paths before having completed other resources.

Honestly, I don't want to have to invest over 2-3 years just to getting introduced some Past and Future tenses and being complemented with B1 Subjunctive stuff much later.

Maybe I go with DE->FR or PT->FR; I'm not sure how much French content will be available on Fluyo during the 2023 Beta phase.
Kinda sucks that I got locked out at Busuu French A2 lesson 39. A lot of formal grammar stuff will show up.

Just can hope I find another affordable French alternative and Nextlingua fixes the font text size (Accessibility setting) as top texts in cloze-deletions are smaller than normal.

Now it really would it make sense (for me) to get going with the Duolingo tree3 from volunteer contributors but it's not coming back. Thank you staff.

Most CEFR content on Duolingo only makes use of implicit grammar usage.
But compared to Babbel, Busuu, Kwiziq & Co. Duolingo lacks clear formal teaching and grammar quizzes to measure your progress and accuracy scores.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Nathalie
France

Post by Nathalie »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:03 am

The units in the app are numbered completely different from Mac and Android, which confused me at first, but after I learned to ignore it, I saw that the sections clearly indicate the CEFR level (or at least, DL's equivalence). For instance, sections 1-3 are A1; section 4 is A2; section 5-6 are B1; section 7-8 are B2.

I don't see these IOS sections.

This is what I see on my phone: [img]

IMG_7708 (1).jpg
IMG_7708 (1).jpg (283.95 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Athenais21st
United States of America

Post by Athenais21st »

@Nathalie , how did you pull up this view with the CEFR levels? My phone refuses to.

Nathalie
France

Post by Nathalie »

Athenais21st wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:15 pm

@Nathalie , how did you pull up this view with the CEFR levels? My phone refuses to.

Below the flag (on the left upper corner), there are three lines with three dots. I tapped on those. That's it.

However, the CEFR levels are only shown in the French course. The Italian course shows the grammar concepts for each section but without the CEFR level.

Return to “How to ...”