Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

you have a typo

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Saperlipopette!

you have a typo

Post by Saperlipopette! »

No, Duolingo has a typo.

I'd like Duo to have a canned report for these types of things. I'm trying to think of a good alternative suggestion to, "I don't have a typo, you have a typo."

I've noticed that Duo seems to have more of these mistakes in the web than on the app. It seems like Duo has a separate database for acceptable answers on the web than on the app.

That would explain the comments in the forum such as, "x is now accepted", with a reply "not for me."

Also the web doesn't have a free form response like there is on the app. To report an error like this one, you have to select 'something else went wrong.'

entendre is the right answer, not "ententre."

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Re: you have a typo

Post by Corinnebelle »

That's so confusing, what to pick with those reports, like my answer shouldn't be accepted is not the one you want for this instance.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

In such cases I sometimes write the wrong answer and then report " my answer should not be accepted."

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, I in this case, I write my correct answer several times for someone to notice it later (indicating that my answer should be accepted).

Finally, I will write this wrong answer because I have to move on.

I often get thanks for the corrections made, and it is most often in the Polish-English or English-Polish course. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Hi! I hate this too. I tried like completing my whole Japanese lesson and when I typed the RIGHT thing, it said I had a typo but didnt let me pass and I got it wrong. I do not have the app, so this appears often for me. (I know it's right because after that I checked google translate.)

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

zerogrqvity wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:35 pm

Hi! I hate this too. I tried like completing my whole Japanese lesson and when I typed the RIGHT thing, it said I had a typo but didnt let me pass and I got it wrong. I do not have the app, so this appears often for me. (I know it's right because after that I checked google translate.)

yeah because google translate never makes mistakes

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Not really, there's multiple translations for Japanese. <3

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

The other thing I noticed about typos is that Duolingo is really random about what they'll say is a typo versus what they'll flat out mark as wrong.

I have had some answers I realized were wrong after I hit enter, but Duo marked them as typos. Whereas I have given other answers that were actually typos and would be clear to a human that the answer was correct and just a misspelling but Duo marks them wrong.

On the phone app, though, I get annoyed when I typed something correctly and autocorrect changes it to the wrong answer, but I don't notice it till after I've hit "enter" and gotten it wrong. :roll: :D

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I have also seen that happen. I suffer with Mom/mum, Color/colour etc . When you add in another language it gets a little harder. Top it off with slight dyslexia and it's enough to turn you mad. Some nights I dream of that green chicken being chased by an hungry fox.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

JudieLC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:18 am

...... I get annoyed when I typed something correctly and autocorrect changes it to the wrong answer, but I don't notice it till after I've hit "enter" and gotten it wrong. :roll: :D

Me too. I found you have to keep an eye on the autocorrect options and delete the suggestions that are actually your previous mistakes!

John661162

Deleted User 4833

So today I was told I had a typo in Hebrew. I looked at the correction and at what I typed and they were both the same. I must have stared at it for a few minutes trying to figure out why Duolingo thought I had a typo and I still can’t figure it out.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] That's cool you're study Hebrew! אני לי! שלום! Thing to do in such situations is to take a screenshot and post it here.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:18 am

@JudieLC That's cool you're study Hebrew! גם לי! שלום! Thing to do in such situations is to take a screenshot and post it here.

I didn't think of taking a screen shot at the time. I was just kind of annoyed. ;)
I also get annoyed with the Hebrew because they mark valid alternate spellings of words wrong. :roll:
So be it. :)

Oh, and hope you don't mind: "Me too" would be translated to Hebrew as גם אני :)
לי literally means "to me".

I'm actually fairly fluent in Hebrew, having spent four years in Israel (3 of them in graduate school taking science classes in Hebrew!). I initially tried the Hebrew course to see how much I could test out of. Ironically, I tested lower in Hebrew on Duolingo than in French (a language which I took in college but don't know as well) because Duolingo rejected certain turns of phrase that are common usage but weren't accepted as "correct" in the Duolingo Hebrew course. I had the same problem when I tried to test out of lower levels in Spanish, for the same reason.

So when I tried to test up to higher Duolingo learning levels of the languages I had learned previously, I did the best in French, the language I have the least knowledge of. :D

I got active in Duolingo because I wanted to learn Arabic, a language that many of my family members know but which I had never learned, except for isolated words. And names of yummy middle eastern dishes. 8-)

שלום לך ותודה רבה

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] על לא דבר! I am definitely very much a learner of Hebrew. I think they use of lot words with added י's and what not. That's a pity you didn't test out as well as you hoped. Did you report those times?

Deleted User 4833

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:35 am

@JudieLC על לא דבר! I am definitely very much a learner of Hebrew. I think they use of lot words with added י's and what not. That's a pity you didn't test out as well as you hoped. Did you report those times?

I didn't bother when I first joined Duolingo, and I didn't stick with it at first.

I came back to doing Duolingo regularly when I got an email announcing the Arabic course, as that was a language I had wanted to learn for a long time. Knowing Hebrew helps, there are a lot of cognates and similarities between the two languages. Though I find the Arabic alphabet much more difficult because the letter forms change depending on whether it's in the beginning, middle, or end of a word.

I have reported a few alternate translations in all the languages I've been working on, and occasionally got a response back that they changed something in response to my "this answer should have been accepted" reports. But not recently.

I was also waiting for the Haitian Creole course, as I could have used it in my work in a hospital, when I had patients who only spoke that language. The course was activated too late for me to use it that way, as I'm no longer working in a hospital, but I decided to try it out anyway, as I have a lot of Haitian friends.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

The other thing I noticed about typos is that Duolingo is really random about what they'll say is a typo versus what they'll flat out mark as wrong.

... would be clear to a human that the answer was correct and just a misspelling but Duo marks them wrong.

I don't think that's quite fair.

Duo is not a human, but even some humans have pretty idiosyncratic ideas about what language is correct.

Duo is a computer system that uses algorithms to apply defined, but not necessarily published rules.

Some rules are (I think)

• more than 1 misspelling in an item, will not be a typo

• misspellingof a proper name will not be a typo (even in dictee, where it is phonetically accurate)

• Wrong vowel in a verb ending will not be a typo

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Steve579062 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:01 am

I have also seen that happen. I suffer with Mom/mum, Color/colour etc

I don't experience this in EN->ES.

But I'm not surprised. It would be because that course is a very mature one and Duo probably got thousands of error reports.

What's disappointing is that Duo's computer and its human attendants aren't smart enough to recognise that is a problem between two base languages, American English, and English English, and propagate the corrections/synonyms into all courses from/to English.

That's just cheap Jack programming and quality control.

Maybe Duo could develop an English to American English course.

Deleted User 4833

John238922 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:54 am

... would be clear to a human that the answer was correct and just a misspelling but Duo marks them wrong.

I don't think that's quite fair.

Duo is not a human, but even some humans have pretty idiosyncratic ideas about what language is correct.

Duo is a computer system that uses algorithms to apply defined, but not necessarily published rules.

Some rules are (I think)

• more than 1 misspelling in an item, will not be a typo

• misspellingof a proper name will not be a typo (even in dictee, where it is phonetically accurate)

• Wrong vowel in a verb ending will not be a typo

I’m not seeing any reasonable patterns. Very random what’s marked wrong and what’s marked a typo.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:35 pm

I’m not seeing any reasonable patterns. Very random what’s marked wrong and what’s marked a typo.

I noticed the same thing, and I have heard voices from other users (I remember [mention]angus[/mention] for example) saying the same, so it's not just you, it's just "the green chicken" (thank you [mention]Steve579062[/mention] for getting that image into my head) being himself.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Saperlipopette!

Here is another typo. They give you tiles, and they want you to arrange them into the correct English translation for the French sentence. I arranged the tiles as such, and was told "I have a typo."

As if wasn't wasn't a word. It isn't? Wasn't it your tile ?

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

This is a fairly common problem -- this noise about typos when there are none. That it happens when I'm selecting tiles is just plain sloppy.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sun May 14, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:05 am

:lol: Yes, I get these, too.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Deleted User 4833

Saperlipopette! wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:05 am

Here is another typo. They give you tiles, and they want you to arrange them into the correct English translation for the French sentence. I arranged the tiles as such, and was told "I have a typo."

![](

I've had this happen with the word bank too. I was sort of flabbergasted the first time it happened. How can I have a typo if I'm using words you provided for me to arrange in the correct order? :D

Deleted User 4833

Find the typo in these two screen shots:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:06 am

Find the typo in these two screen shots:

Easy... the punctuation marks: the period in the first one and the question mark in the second one :D

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Deleted User 4833

Right. Cause Duolingo counts punctuation as a typo. :D

Never as far as I can tell. :D

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:27 am

Right. Cause Duolingo counts punctuation as a typo. :D

Never as far as I can tell. :D

Coming from a green owl... anything can be expected :lol:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:35 pm

I havent noticed a pattern either so was impressed and intrigued by the other "John's" observations and will try to look out for them. :)

John661162

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

What I recall about the criteria to differentiate typos (typographical errors) from mistakes (actual errors) is:

1. only one typo allowed per word, that is, two or more will then be taken as a mistake

• adding one extra letter: receive → resceive
    • exchanging two adjacent letters: receive → recieve
    • missing one letter: receive → receiv
    • replacing one letter: receive → receibe
  2. if the typo does not lead to a valid word (e.g. hate → hte), it will then be marked as a typo, otherwise (e.g. hate → hat) it will be marked as a mistake

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍSentenceDiscussion ㆍduolingo

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

Here's a couple more for your amusement.

Attachments
Screenshot_20201008-140103.png
Screenshot_20201008-140103.png (76.07 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
Screenshot_20210208-200152.png
Screenshot_20210208-200152.png (80.97 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

Return to “Duolingo”