Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The most famous inventions and discoveries happened in a dream . . ?!

..Renad
Oman

The most famous inventions and discoveries happened in a dream . . ?!

Post by ..Renad »

The title seems strange, doesn't it? . ?!

I will explain it. . !

First, did you know that you can dream a dream and control its events? . ??

You may tell me that you do not dream at all, but you dream and forget. .

There are cases that come by chance and we control them with our dreams. .

But if we practice, it will be easy to do it. . !!

Also, when a person thinks about certain dilemmas before going to sleep, it increases the chance that a solution to the problem will come to him in sleep. . !

Well . . Now let's see some of the great scientists who found solutions to equations and found ideas for their inventions in their dreams:

• "Larry Page" founder of Google:

Larry Page stated that he had dreams of downloading and storing the Internet on computers. .
And when I woke up, he did some research and math to see if that was possible. .

A 2009 speech at the University of Michigan, he said:

I immediately grabbed a pen when I woke up and wrote what became the basis for an algorithm that was used to power a new web search engine now known as Google. .

• Mendeleev's periodic table:

He had a dream where all his thoughts gathered. .

Dmitri wrote:

"I saw in a dream a table on which all the elements fell and all the elements began to take their place as required. Then I woke up and immediately copied what I saw in the dream on a piece of paper" . .

• Einstein's speed of light:

Einstein says that all of his accomplishments are a reflection of his childhood dreams. . !!

In a dream, Einstein found himself riding a sledge that was moving very fast.

When its speed reached close to the speed of light, all the colors merged into one. .

After that he spent most of his time thinking about what happens at the speed of light. .

وترى ظُروفَ الأمسِ صارت بلسَمًا
وهي التي أَعيَتْك حينَ تعسّرتْ

رِنــاد

buho

Re: The most famous inventions and discoveries happened in a dream . . ?!

Post by buho »

don't forget kekulé who gave the structure of benzene.
he dreamt of a snake eating its own tail and thus came up with the ring structure(of benzene).

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Apparently Edison used to fall asleep with a problem and have something wake him up in ten minutes to get inspirations for his inventions.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

buho wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:05 am

he dreamt of a snake eating its own tail and thus came up with the ring structure(of benzene).

Yes, there are many, but I only mentioned some of them . .

Thank you for adding this information . .

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:27 am

Apparently Edison used to fall asleep with a problem and have something wake him up in ten minutes to get inspirations for his inventions.

Yes, I think so too . .

رِنــاد

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

Also, when a person thinks about certain dilemmas before going to sleep, it increases the chance that a solution to the problem will come to him in sleep. . !

Oh now it makes sense that my dreams arw so sus thx for the post it was interestinf

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Drymice wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:33 pm

Oh now it makes sense that my dreams arw so sus thx for the post it was interestinf

My pleasure . . 😄

رِنــاد

Deleted User 2343

Post by Deleted User 2343 »

Drymice wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:33 pm

same

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I have a dream where I am given languages by an alien race to speak to all mankind. Something like startreks universal translator. I just hope it works better that Google translator. 😄
Having a pen and paper handy is a good tip. I know that there are lots of eight hour youtubes that say " learn a language whilst you sleep". If only it was that easy. I have to remember that learning is part of the fun 🙂

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

..Renad wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:19 pm

Yes... it is called a "lucid dream" :) Quite an experience! 8-)

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

gmads wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:58 pm

Ooh ,, Have you tried that before . . ?!

رِنــاد

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

..Renad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:31 am

Well, it has been more of thing that just happens and, at least for me, it has been a process of gradually becoming aware of this particular state of mind. In most cases it has been a feeling of just having some kind of conscious thought about something, but without actually doing a conscious act; so instead of just experiencing the dream it has been like becoming semi-aware, "thinking" about what it is happening; only in a small number of cases I have actually moved through the dream totally conscious that I am in a dream, and that allows one to go and try to do interesting things 8-)

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍinteresting

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Reading this I thought about a young man I used to work with. He suffered from Aspergers. I say suffered but really it was a blessing and a curse rolled in to one. He never forgot numbers or names. He knew the registration plates for all customer vehicles and telephone numbers.

The power of the human brain is still being unwrapped. I firmly believe that we all have the ability to connect with everything that we have seen and done in our lives. Maybe the greatest inventions are already hidden in the minds of people who do not have the keys to unlock them.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Steve579062 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:07 pm

The power of the human brain is still being unwrapped. I firmly believe that we all have the ability to connect with everything that we have seen and done in our lives. Maybe the greatest inventions are already hidden in the minds of people who do not have the keys to unlock them.

Do you think this could be something beyond the human brain, more about an intangible consciousness, a universal underlying mind, so to speak? Most think that mind is like the resulting phenomena of brain activity; could it be that it is the other way round? That would easily explain how can we all connect, both with each other and with knowledge.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

The whole subject is so deep that I cannot picture the depths of my own thoughts. We are on the cusp of thinking machines. Will they ever truly develop conciseness and if so what will mankind learn from them.
Will these machines understand human behaviour better than humans because of impartiality. And getting back to the original question, will these machines whilst backing up their day for review come back to conciseness with a random idea ?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Talking about connections, have you heard of the wood web?

https://aggietranscript.ucdavis.edu/the ... n-network/

Did you know plants have five senses?

https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles ... elings-too

Plants can move

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden ... t-move.htm

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Steve579062 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:31 pm

The whole subject is so deep that I cannot picture the depths of my own thoughts. We are on the cusp of thinking machines. Will they ever truly develop conciseness and if so what will mankind learn from them.
Will these machines understand human behaviour better than humans because of impartiality. And getting back to the original question, will these machines whilst backing up their day for review come back to conciseness with a random idea ?

Humankind is getting closer and closer to a Matrix-like reality via VR (virtual reality) devices, nanotechnologies and brain chips, and genetics. Some say that we are at the dawn of having a new homo species, not as the result of evolution, but of man's ever growing ability to change himself. I once read about the new possible scientific names for this future new species; I would need to search a bit about this.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:24 am

Talking about connections, have you heard of the wood web?

https://aggietranscript.ucdavis.edu/the ... n-network/

Yes, through fungi. Amazing, isn't it? There's a whole universe just below our feet!

Speaking about organisms, do you know which is the largest living organism on Earth? It is not elephants nor whales ;)

Did you know plants have five senses?

https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles ... elings-too

The article starts by saying that humans have five senses... it's amazing how 25 years almost into the third millenium a lot of obsolete knowledge is still being taught: here is a list of eighteen senses. Some people list as much as 50.

Well, the title of the article might be a little misleading, talking about feelings instead of senses. And I say this not because plants are not able to feel, of course they are, and even to communicate, but if scientists were still debating not so long ago whether animals have consciousness, I'd say it is best to let them continue with their baby steps and not get into whether plants have feelings or not.

There's a very old book (1973), called, The secret life of plants (pdf download page), which was made into a movie (YT video) a few years later. While I know that some may have very strong ideas against, I think both are worth reading and watching. I don't recall about the tests and proofs offered by the authors, and while they probably might have a number of errors or "unscientific" ways, in the end that doesn't take away certain facts regarding life. So, regardless of how unscientific the book might be, I would certainly recommend it, even if just vaguely remember it. However, what I definitely do remember is that at the time, both contributed to my entering into a different kind of world.

If the content feels old and uninteresting, the following might be a better option:

Plants can move

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden ... t-move.htm

We are sharing the same space but moving in a different time-frame :)

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

When thinking of the future and technologies doing everything for us I remember the fill Wally. All the humans are over weight and laid on video gaming chairs. I thank the Lord I have an active life. I worry my brain will go before my body does. That is my main reason for studying languages. 🤓

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

gmads wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:20 pm
..Renad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:31 am

Well, it has been more of thing that just happens and, at least for me, it has been a process of gradually becoming aware of this particular state of mind. In most cases it has been a feeling of just having some kind of conscious thought about something, but without actually doing a conscious act; so instead of just experiencing the dream it has been like becoming semi-aware, "thinking" about what it is happening; only in a small number of cases I have actually moved through the dream totally conscious that I am in a dream, and that allows one to go and try to do interesting things 8-)

Oh this is good ,, but I think it's affecting your sleep ,, Because it makes you fully aware of what is happening to you in the dream, as it does not make your sleep comfortable, Is it right ?! . .

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Steve579062 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:07 pm

I think so too . .

رِنــاد

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Meli578588 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:27 am

Yes, they say we humans don’t use even half of our brain. Amazing isn’t it ?

Are we speaking of AI? I saw a program on making of “life-like “ robots. Um… It’s kind of creepy. I believe one day , in the far future , we will be just numbers , no names and robots will have taken over.

You know , they have self check out and only one human in certain groceries stores , now

Inventions are wonderful, but they go too far with some.

Yes I think so, we use little of our brains ,, Yas you are right this is really amazing . .

Umm maybe . .

Yeah . .

رِنــاد

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

..Renad wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:41 am

Oh this is good ,, but I think it's affecting your sleep ,, Because it makes you fully aware of what is happening to you in the dream, as it does not make your sleep comfortable, Is it right ?! . .

No, not really. I basically don't dream, and even if I do —it is said that we always dream— I wake up without feeling that I did, just as if I hadn't at all. Instead, I have dreaming periods: I might dream two or three days in a row, and that's it. This only might happen once in a year. So, while the lucid dream experiences have been quite notable, they have also been quite scarce, actually: maybe like 15 times through my whole life, where more than half have been in a state of semi-awareness, and the rest, completely aware and conscious.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall feeling tired or sleepy after any lucid dream, even if in some of them I exerted an effort to achieve something. If anything, I would find normal dreaming more inconvenient :D

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

gmads wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:47 pm
..Renad wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:41 am

No, not really. I basically don't dream, and even if I do —it is said that we always dream— I wake up without feeling that I did, just as if I hadn't at all. Instead, I have dreaming periods: I might dream two or three days in a row, and that's it. This only might happen once in a year. So, while the lucid dream experiences have been quite notable, they have also been quite scarce, actually: maybe like 15 times through my whole life, where more than half have been in a state of semi-awareness, and the rest, completely aware and conscious.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall feeling tired or sleepy after any lucid dream, even if in some of them I exerted an effort to achieve something. If anything, I would find normal dreaming more inconvenient :D

Oooh okay now I understand you . .

رِنــاد

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] The biggest organism is a fungi. The article about senses certainly confused my perception! I'd like to read the other article you mention. I suppose people have a sense of movement of objects too? How else does someone know how fast a ball is traveling in order to hit it? Or when to enter the freeway?

Have you heard how they made a piece of brain in a petri dish and taught it to play a video game?

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:56 pm

@gmads The biggest organism is a fungi.

As a living individual? As far as I know it is a one-tree quaking aspen forest consisting of more than 47,000 cloned trunks, located in Utah and named Pando. This forest may look like any other normal forest, however, all those trunks are actually one tree because all of them are connected through a single root system!

The article about senses certainly confused my perception! I'd like to read the other article you mention. I suppose people have a sense of movement of objects too? How else does someone know how fast a ball is traveling in order to hit it? Or when to enter the freeway?

Like the external version of the proprioception. We do sense so many things!

Have you heard how they made a piece of brain in a petri dish and taught it to play a video game?

Really? Wow! It would be interesting to know about that.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Here's the article about brains. I don't really think its ethical to be making brains, but kind of fascinating. Sounds like a sort of bio computer.

Okay so the aspens are heavier, but the fungus is bigger.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:16 am

Okay so the aspens are heavier, but the fungus is bigger.

Oh! Thanks for the reference! Since I read about Pando, I always thought it to be the largest and heaviest living organism. I didn't know about the Armillaria ostoyae; great to know!

Contenders to the largest organism, I thought they were, but the difference between them is overwhelming.

• Pando (at the western edge of the Colorado Plateau in south-central Utah, U.S.), occupies about 0.44 km2 (108 acres), and has an estimated weigh of 6,600 tons.
  • Armillaria ostoyae (in the Malheur National Forest in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon, U.S.), occupies about 8.9 km2 (2,200 acres), and even though its weight is unknown, some think it could reach 605 tons.

However, it turns out there is another organism that, at least areawise, leaves the previous two biting the dust :lol:

• Posidonia australis seagrass (aka Poseidon's ribbon weed), a giant marine flowering plant (in Shark Bay, Australia), occupies an area of 200 km2 (49,421 acres).

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:16 am

Here's the article about brains. I don't really think its ethical to be making brains, but kind of fascinating. Sounds like a sort of bio computer.

Thanks again for the link! Very interesting, although I'd say that it doesn't qualify neither as a mini-brain nor as sentient :P It is just a neural network made up of living cells, (neurons, specifically). Electronic neural networks is part of the elements behind A.I. (artificial intelligence).

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] I fuzzily remember reading about that, but all I could think of was that fungi. I wonder how much the seagrass weighs?

![](https://www.theinertia.com/wp-content/u ... agrass.jpg)

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

buho wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:05 am

I love this one. It was in the introductory pages of the organic chemistry book we used in college.

Return to “Random Thoughts”