Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Mapping Tree to Snake

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

amanofgodforever
France

Mapping Tree to Snake

Post by amanofgodforever »

Hey all,

Has anyone mapped the skills from the tree to the snake?

I'm using the tree still but am resigning myself to the fact that sooner or later I will need to switch over. I'm close to getting all skills in French up to the end of section 7 to gold and figure that would be a good transition point.

However, since I've been stubborn and insisted on not using the snake, it has remained where it was when they first introduced it and hasn't advanced with me (it's on level 105, which is perhaps when I had all skills in section seven up to level 1 or 2).

Ideally, I'd like to just use the "jump to" part of a later part of the snake, so am wondering how far ahead I should aim. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

pj1506
France

Re: Mapping Tree to Snake

Post by pj1506 »

All I can say is that I am happy with the snake, but you progress faster in the course with the tree, and there are no levels with the snake.
So if you enjoy leveling up or collecting golden trees stay with the tree.
If like me you are a boring follow-the-herd laborious petty accountant type of underachiever then pick the snake and have a miserable life.

Arabic + Tagalog

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

The mapping you're asking about is on a couse by course basis. For the French tree, we have guidebooks for the snake and a word list for the tree.

You have to do the mapping on your own but the key to that is the vocabulary lists for each lesson. I'll show you an example of how I do it and how I work with the details and see if that helps you find where you are.

From the word list, here are the vocabulary lists for the last few lessons of unit 7.

New Job

1 - à temps plein, à temps partiel, chimiste, débarrasser, comme, votre place
2 - peut-être que, clair, contrat, signer, proposer
3 - postuler, avantage, conseiller, accepter, salaire
4 - architecture, préférer, industrie, manifester, jour de congé
5 - au chômage, rester, rater, inconvénient, souhaiter

Pastimes

1 - manger, balcon, deviner, achat, Irlande
2 - à suspense, divertissement, horreur, studio, changer
3 - d'ailleurs, bâton, terre, flûte, parent
4 - ouais, livrer, bouillir, promesse, ne
5 - Guadeloupe, tente, silence, effrayer, noir

The Party

1 - gardien de but, en dernier, excuse, en premier, situer, étranger
2 - passer, souffler, bougie, santé, dirait
3 - et en plus, tenir, se lever, se coucher
4 - appartenir, ça va, attacher, immense
5 - magique, veille, apparaître, payant

Abroad 2

1 - libérer, Thaïlande, aller simple, aller-retour, gérer, rechercher
2 - possible, Cameroun, local, côte d'ivoire, écrire, arriver
3 - douter, embarquer, durée, retour, penser
4 - que, en vente, transport, guide, goûter
5 - voie ferrée, guider, visite guidée, annoncer, aider

New Home

1 - prendre, offrir, moi, minuscule, propriété
2 - largeur, bas, mesurer, centimètre
3 - millimètre, longueur, nous
4 - chauffage, eux, mode d'emploi
5 - bureau de tabac, en libre-service, fond, sécurité, tour

Here is the guidebook for Unit 118:

B1
101 WORDS
1 STORY

118-1 : INTRO

Related 119-1 : 119-7
LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Participate in social events
Narrate and describe past events
Talk about and describe events

WORDS INTRODUCED
LESSON 1
gardien de but, en dernier, excuse, en premier, situer, étranger

LESSON 2
passer, souffler, bougie, santé, dirait

LESSON 3
et en plus, tenir, se lever, se coucher

LESSON 4
appartenir, ça va, attacher, immense

LESSON 5
magique, veille, apparaître, payant

This is the vocabulary list for the lesson the Party. It says intro so this is at Level 0. You'll get six lessons here which will get you to L1 of the skill The Party.

118-2 : REVIEW

Related 117-5 : 119-2
LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Prepare a meal using a recipe

GRAMMAR
Imperative with double pronouns y and en

WORDS REVIEWED
LESSON 1
manger, balcon, deviner, achat, Irlande

LESSON 2
à suspense, divertissement, horreur, studio, changer

LESSON 3
d'ailleurs, bâton, terre, flûte, parent

LESSON 4
ouais, livrer, bouillir, promesse, ne

LESSON 5
Guadeloupe, tente, silence, effrayer, noir

This is the vocabulary list for the skill Pasttimes. Related lessons are 117-5 and 119-2 so this is the second of the three lessons on the snake for this skill. When you finish this you have completed L1 of pastimes.

118-3 : PRACTICE

Review words and grammar taught across levels.

This is actually practice for 118-1 the party and 118-2 Pasttimes. So even though you are at L1 for The party and L2 for Pasttimes, you have seen enough questions to put you close to L2 for the party and near the end of L3 or beginning L4 for Pasttimes.

118-4 : REVIEW

Related 116-6 : 117-6
LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Talk about their long-term plans
Ask for others' opinions

GRAMMAR
Conditional -er verbs (2)

WORDS REVIEWED
LESSON 1
à temps plein, à temps partiel, chimiste, débarrasser, comme, votre place

LESSON 2
peut-être que, clair, contrat, signer, proposer

LESSON 3
postuler, avantage, conseiller, accepter, salaire

LESSON 4
architecture, préférer, industrie, manifester, jour de congé

LESSON 5
au chômage, rester, rater, inconvénient, souhaiter

Here is the vocabulary list for New Job. Related lessons are 116-6 and 117-6 so you have completed L1 and are moving on to L2. With the practice in the other two units you have probably seen enough questions in this skill as someone at L3/L4 on the old tree.

118-5 : STORY

Aunt Élisabeth
Eddy and Junior are going to visit Aunt Betty. Junior says he can't go because he's sick. Eddy doesn't believe him and says they can get ice cream if he agrees to go. Junior excitedly comes out of the bathroom… and he's actually sick!

118-6 : INTRO

Related 119-6 : 120-4
LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Talk about holidays and special events
Navigate transportation hubs

GRAMMAR
Subjonctive to express doubt & desire: embedded review of vouloir que
Introduction of douter que, il est possible que
Subjunctive with 1st group verbs and verbs like écrire

WORDS INTRODUCED
LESSON 1
libérer, Thaïlande, aller simple, aller-retour, gérer, rechercher

LESSON 2
possible, Cameroun, local, côte d'ivoire, écrire, arriver

LESSON 3
douter, embarquer, durée, retour, penser

LESSON 4
que, en vente, transport, guide, goûter

LESSON 5
voie ferrée, guider, visite guidée, annoncer, aider

Here is the vocab list for the skill Aboard 2. It's intro so it's getting you to L1 in this skill.

118-7 : PRACTICE

Review words and grammar taught across levels

You're going to get questions here from New Job and abroad 2.

118-8 : UNIT CHALLENGE

Review everything from Unit 118.

Here you get one test based on four lessons: the party, Pasttimes, new job and abroad 2. When you finish this you are finished with the skill New Job. You will have done three six unit lessons, three practice sessions, and two unit tests with questions from this skill. It's roughly 25 lessons.

There's a few different snakes for French but I think they figured out that everyone is on the 196 unit snake. So the details I am speaking of here ought to come close to your particular situation.

If you step up to 120 you'll get tested on stuff from 8.01 neighbors. Either 118 or 119 is where you're at.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

amanofgodforever wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:45 pm

Has anyone mapped the skills from the tree to the snake?

First time I was forced to do the snake I was doing the German from English course after its extension, so I had about 40 skills to completing the tree at L1 from L0. While doing the snake, I observed that
-- 14 skills from the tree were just skipped;
-- the skills I had at L1 on the tree I had to do from L0 on the snake, and the crowns for these skills were zeroed;
-- my progress along the snake was marked as up to L2 (red), i.e. golden circles on the snake were just red on the tree.

Some other trees I had halfway from L4 to L5 (orange to gold) were mapped to fully completed snakes but the last final test, except for Spanish and French from English.

On the Spanish tree I only had L4, L5 and L6 skills, and on the French one L3 to L5, but the snake showed a couple units to go, so I guess some material was added which doesn't map onto the tree.

Then I found out here on the forum about www-internal and forgot about the snake until it was disabled for a few days in December. Then I discovered that I had to do the snake from about the same place it was back then when I saw the snake for the first time, moreover, all crowns acquired with www-internal were lost. Fortunately, when I returned to www-internal, they were restored.

My conclusions.

1. The snake corresponds basically to L0, L1, L2 and L6 levels of the tree, thus levels L3 to L5 are skipped, the most serious learning material being simply unaccessible from the snake. I cannot imagine how this squares with Duolingo's claim to achieve CEFR B2 at least for Spanish, French and German.
  2. The mapping from the tree to the snake is made for each user only once, and after that, what you do on the tree doesn't count for the snake, perhaps because you didn't do all the intermediate reviews within snake units.
  3. The contents, even disregarding the difficulty (crown) levels, don't match either way: some chunks of the tree are absent on the snake, and, vice versa, some snakes (at least En->Es an En->Fr) have some new material in comparison with the trees.

Return to “Duolingo”