Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"Uansett hva som skjer vil du alltid være min datter." Topic is solved

Moderator: SansEspoir

weerwater

"Uansett hva som skjer vil du alltid være min datter."

Post by weerwater »

Torturing myself with the verbs in this DL sentence.

I understand the position of 'vil', but I cannot get a grip on the 'skjer'.
What is it that makes the 'som' come in front of that verb?

Just looking for a -hopefully- logical explanation.

Olav
Norway

Re: "Uansett hva som skjer vil du alltid være min datter."

Post by Olav »

https://naob.no/ordbok/som
"No matter what happens, you'll always be my daughter."
In this case, "som"= what.

spencer1411
United States of America

Post by spencer1411 »

We'd likely say "No matter what happens," which doesn't include a word that fills the role of "som" because it's optional in English. But you might also want to consider alternate translations (which we would not use in this situation) such as "No matter what it is that happens," or "Regardless of that which happens," where you can see how "som" fits here.

In other expressions we do include the "som" equivalent, such as "He who fights and runs away" (who) and "That which does not kill you", (which).

Native 🇺🇸 | Learning 🇳🇴 | Rusty 🇪🇸 🇩🇪

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

there's a som before skjer because it's a subordinate clause.

unfortunately, we don't add a subordinating conjunction in english in these situations, but you have to in norwegian. when a hva (what) or hvem (who) is operating as the subject of the subordinate clause, then you need to add a som. these question words are not operating as question words, but as pronouns.

if i remember correctly, english isn't your native language, but you can try replacing what or who in sentences with an actual noun to help determine when to add a som. this will usually cause the subordinating conjunction to appear in english as well.

• no matter what happens ... -> no matter the thing that/which happens ...
  • i know who did it -> i know the person that/who did it -> jeg vet hvem som gjorde det
weerwater

Post by weerwater »

anamorphism wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:31 am

there's a som before skjer because it's a subordinate clause.

unfortunately, we don't add a subordinating conjunction in english in these situations, but you have to in norwegian. when a hva (what) or hvem (who) is operating as the subject of the subordinate clause, then you need to add a som. these question words are not operating as question words, but as pronouns.

if i remember correctly, english isn't your native language, but you can try replacing what or who in sentences with an actual noun to help determine when to add a som. this will usually cause the subordinating conjunction to appear in english as well.

• no matter what happens ... -> no matter the thing that/which happens ...
  • i know who did it -> i know the person that/who did it -> jeg vet hvem som gjorde det

Thank you anamorphism.
This is the key I needed. "Jeg vet hvem som gjorde det." makes clear how it works.
Thanks to this help I have now found more material to practise this grammar topic:

5 b) H v e m / h v a / h v o r - s p ø r s m å l der spørreordet er subjekt
Når et hvem/hva/hvor-spørsmål er leddsetning, og spørreordet
er subjekt, må vi sette inn som etter spørreordet:
Eksempel:
Hvem ringte på døra?
Jeg lurer på hvem som ringte på døra.

Ordets rette plass
Øvelser i norsk som andrespråk

John Megaard (2007)

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”