Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Forum user signature Topic is solved

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

AelienFelis
Poland

Forum user signature

Post by AelienFelis »

What happened to my signature? The text in settings is visible, but preview is not. When I enter my profile it's not there too, and also nothing under my posts (the attach my signature box is marked). Is it only me or is it some global issue I didn't notice?

| :poland: N | :gb: C1 | :de: (B1) | :fr: A2+ | :norway: (A1) | :ukraine: A0 | :hungary: (A0) |

Stasia
Poland

Re: Forum user signature

Post by Stasia »

AelienFelis wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:52 am

What happened to my signature? The text in settings is visible, but preview is not. When I enter my profile it's not there too, and also nothing under my posts (the attach my signature box is marked). Is it only me or is it some global issue I didn't notice?

I see your signature - flags of your languages with your fluency levels. Maybe some temporary glitch?

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

AelienFelis
Poland

Post by AelienFelis »

Stasia wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:51 pm
AelienFelis wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:52 am

I see your signature - flags of your languages with your fluency levels. Maybe some temporary glitch?

This is interesting then, because I totally don't see it xD Yours too, for that matter.
Maybe I messed up something in settings?

Update:
I found this in settings:

Display signatures:
Yes No

And I have yes marked, so I don't know what's happening...

| :poland: N | :gb: C1 | :de: (B1) | :fr: A2+ | :norway: (A1) | :ukraine: A0 | :hungary: (A0) |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]AelienFelis[/mention] Maybe you can try to refresh the system, by hitting no there, saving it, and then hitting yes. Maybe the code didn't quite go through?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

coto.i
Romania

Post by coto.i »

I can't see the flags in the signature either. Just the ones that were written like a code, for example [:FR:]. The ones inserted as pictures are visible. Here's a screenshot:

Attachments
flags missing.jpg
flags missing.jpg (245.06 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

🇷🇴 Native Romanian speaker :us: B2-C1 :fr: B1-B2 :es: A2-B1 :de: A1-A2

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]coto.i[/mention] It seems that MaxCDN, the main source of emojis and flags, has shut down its services recently. We'll have to look for an alternative.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:03 pm

@coto.i It seems that MaxCDN, the main source of emojis and flags, has shut down its services recently. We'll have to look for an alternative.

Yes, that seems to be the case:

As mentioned in that forum, maybe jsDelivr?

FYI how to use jsDelivr to serve twemoji images:

twemoji.parse(
document.body,
{ base: 'https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/gh/twitter/twe ... .2/assets/' }
)

For example:

*** addendum

https://github.com/twitter/twemoji

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Can we blame Edon Musk for this ?

Don't need evidence, I just don't like the guy.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

coto.i
Romania

Post by coto.i »

I can see the flags again. Thanks, guys!

🇷🇴 Native Romanian speaker :us: B2-C1 :fr: B1-B2 :es: A2-B1 :de: A1-A2

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

coto.i wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:55 pm

I can see the flags again. Thanks, guys!

Already marked as a "Closed" issue.

https://github.com/twitter/twemoji/issues/580

jimaek commented 6 hours ago
The CDN is back online! All previous URLs will continue to work and redirect to jsDelivr
e.g. https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/svg/1f525.svg

Stackpath reached out to @jsdelivr and changed the DNS CNAME to point to a CDN we control.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]AelienFelis[/mention] Is everything alright for you now?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

AelienFelis
Poland

Post by AelienFelis »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], nope, no signatures visible for me, with or without flags, nothing. I tried unmarking and marking again this option about visibility, but it didn't change a thing.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

AelienFelis wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:06 pm

@Corinnebelle, nope, no signatures visible for me, with or without flags, nothing. I tried unmarking and marking again this option about visibility, but it didn't change a thing.

Same here.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

AelienFelis wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:06 pm

@Corinnebelle, nope, no signatures visible for me, with or without flags, nothing. I tried unmarking and marking again this option about visibility, but it didn't change a thing.

Try:

1. Edit posting defaults
    Attach my signature by default: Yes

2. Edit display options
    Display signatures: Yes

If that doesn't make it, try clearing your browser's cache and all (note that this process may also delete saved passwords, etc):

If that still doesn't fix it, then there might be something in the text of your signature that is preventing it to be displayed. You might want to share (copy and paste) your signature in a post so we can take a look at it... for example, this is mine:

Every mind is different, and the more it is unfolded the more pronounced is that difference.
–RWE

:mexico: :us:  ·  :it: :brazil:  ·  :ru: Image

AelienFelis
Poland

Post by AelienFelis »

[mention]gmads[/mention], I did everything you said and the signatures are still not visible for me. Not mine, not anyone's, including yours. I only see what you quoted, without the actual signature under the post. Also, when I go to the user's profile, mine or someone else's, for example yours, under 'SIGNATURE' there is nothing. Blank space.

My signature should be as follows:

I see my quotation, but not the signature itself. In the user control panel the text is there, but its preview doesn't work.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

AelienFelis wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:33 pm

@gmads, I did everything you said and the signatures are still not visible for me. Not mine, not anyone's, including yours. I only see what you quoted, without the actual signature under the post. Also, when I go to the user's profile, mine or someone else's, for example yours, under 'SIGNATURE' there is nothing. Blank space.

My signature should be as follows:

I see my quotation, but not the signature itself. In the user control panel the text is there, but its preview doesn't work.

Same here.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

@gmads, I did everything you said and the signatures are still not visible for me. Not mine, not anyone's, including yours.

True, I didn't take that into account.

Okay, we are getting into creepy territory then, so let's start with the easiest:

• Use a different browser

By the way, what device are you working on? Computer (Mac, PC), Android, iPhone?

From my point of view, this solution should work. If it does, then I would do the following:

1. Backup your browser's profile. The required steps depend on your browser. You may try starting with this Google search. You may subsitute the word "browser" with the name of your browser, like so: how to backup your firefox settings [...]

2. Reinstall your browser. This step will update your browser to the latest version. If for some reason you want to keep the one you currently have: 1) make sure you still have in your Downloads folder the installation program you originally used; or, 2) Search for the version you want, and download it.

This should fix whatever issue your browser was having.

My signature should be as follows [...]

Okay, thanks, the code looks fine.

Let's just wait until you try with a different browser.

AelienFelis
Poland

Post by AelienFelis »

[mention]gmads[/mention], okay, this is interesting. I can't see the signatures on mobile version of the forum. I use mobile Chrome (Android) and I also checked on iOS (Safari). But when I marked to see the 'computer version' on Chrome, all of the signatures appeared! When I switched back to the mobile version, they disappeared again. So this seems to be the problem regarding only the mobile version, doesn't matter which browser or system...

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

As far as I know, signature flags are not visible on some screen resolutions or text sizes.

It also happens if you increase the size of the site in PC browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox).

Test it: press CTRL and + until, suddenly, flags are gone.

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

AelienFelis wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:56 pm

@gmads, okay, this is interesting. I can't see the signatures on mobile version of the forum. I use mobile Chrome (Android) and I also checked on iOS (Safari). But when I marked to see the 'computer version' on Chrome, all of the signatures appeared! When I switched back to the mobile version, they disappeared again.

Excellent!

I always work on my PC or a laptop, so I use my mobile only for very few things. I just visited the forum with it and I can confirm that it is exactly as you say ;)

duome_android_.png
duome_android_.png (154.52 KiB) Viewed 938 times

AelienFelis wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:56 pm

So this seems to be the problem regarding only the mobile version, doesn't matter which browser or system...

More than a problem, it is more about user interfaces being different between computers/laptops and mobiles: the latter need to optimize their handling of the screen area.

Mystery solved! :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

MatOzone wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:20 pm

As far as I know, signature flags are not visible on some screen resolutions or text sizes.

It also happens if you increase the size of the site in PC browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox).

Test it: press CTRL and + until, suddenly, flags are gone.

Indeed. The stylesheet used changes depending on screen resolution.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]AelienFelis[/mention] I hope you have the answer now. It sounded like your question was a little different from what other people were experiencing and also [mention]IceVajal[/mention]

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

As I'm using mobile devices, I won't be changing too much and it just effects the forum. I simply life without signatures.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Hi, everyone,

As the problem —at least for AelienFelis and IceVajal— regarding the signature has to do with Duolingo's cascading style sheet (CSS), there's actually a way to solve this, either with a browser extension or with a custom CSS. Given the usual restrictions of mobile devices, these solutions are not as widely available as they are for desktop browsers, however, I found a couple out there that might work. So, if anyone is interested in trying them out and then sharing the results ;) here they are:

1. Install the Via browser. It seems this browser allows adding a custom CSS (Fixed the bug of custom css)

2. Install Firefox for Android Nightly. This version has a better extension support: "you will be able to install any extension listed on addons.mozilla.org (AMO) in Nightly." Once that, install the Stylus add-on: "Easily install custom themes from popular online repositories, or create, edit, and manage your own personalized CSS stylesheets."

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”