Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

check out Duolingo's recent post on 4 French phases

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

dakanga

check out Duolingo's recent post on 4 French phases

Post by dakanga »

dakanga

Re: check out Duolingo's recent post on 4 French phases

Post by dakanga »

What common French phases would you suggest ?

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I thought it would be something more advanced... anyone knows bonjour and s'il vous plaît 🙄

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I disagree.

Many people, who have not had a previous learning of French, they do not know this.
Do you know how to say hello/gooday and please in a language that perhaps you have not yet engaged with?
Such as perhaps Indonesian or Pama–Nyungan ?

And you seek to shame people for not knowing such simplefirst steps of learning a language ?²
There are new learners who do not know these first steps of learning a language. ³

So, while I greatly admire also the support and engagement you bring to this language learning community, my admired [mention]LICA98[/mention] ,
and also thank you for bringing up this point of review,
I think your point is perhaps not showing an understanding , in the very least interpretaion, in this regard.²

²redacted as it was inappropriate, and I appologize.
³added

Last edited by dakanga on Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected inappropriate comment and I appologize.
LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

dakanga wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:12 pm

I disagree.

Many people, who have not had a previous learning of French, they do not know this.
Do you know how to say hello/gooday and please in a language that perhaps you have not yet engaged with?
Such as perhaps Indonesian or Pama–Nyungan ?

And you seek to shame people for not knowing such simple first steps of learning a language ?

So, while I greatly admire also the support and engagement you bring to this language learning community, my admired @LICA98 ,
and also thank you for bringing up this point of review,
I think your point is perhaps not showing an understanding , in the very least interpretaion, in this regard.

"shame people"? are you trying to get offended over nothing again?

the post is most likely going to be read by French learners and anyone who is one already knows what those words mean... like I wouldn't read about phrases in Indonesian or some other language I'm not learning as I'm not interested in that :roll:

(also the word bonjour is likely to be known even by people who don't speak French, same way like nihao in Chinese or konnichiwa in Japanese)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I see your point Lica,
I appologize to you, and any others for any hurt I have inflicted.

Though just two days ago I was talking to friend that I have not seen for some time, who was saying that for some years they have been looking forward to hopefully one day do some bike riding in France. And they have not travelled outside of Australia before. And we slipped into talking about language. And also the challenges and fun it can be to travel - including learning languages.

They did not know the word Bonjour .

Yes, there will be many people who will know high use foreign words like Hola " and Ciao , and maybe even Доброе утро dobroye utro

Yet there are also many people who are not familiar with these words, and have not come across them before in their life.
For these learners who are just approaching a language for the first time, positive articles such as the one mentioned by Duolingo - are relevant.

However - I also disagree with the simplification Duolingo has presented in that article.

Claiming the Bonjour means "hello", when it actually is a polite day-time greeting that means "good day", and should only be used in the mornings and afternoons.

For the end of the afternoon, such as about 18:00 (6pm) and after,
the word to use is
Bonsoir , which is a polite greeting that means "good evening".

Russian references :
https://learnlanguagesfromhome.com/wp-c ... е-утро.mp3
https://www.howtopronounce.com/russian/доброе-утро
https://www.fluentin3months.com/hello-in-russian/

Return to “French”