Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

EN -> IT legendary levels

PtolemysXX
Uganda

EN -> IT legendary levels

Post by PtolemysXX »

By comparing a couple of language courses (all from English) I got an impression that italian legendary tests are extremely tough. Every lesson serves me a batch of new sentences that I have never seen before. In the advanced skills there are many very long sentences and a lot of idiomatic expressions. On top of that the pool of correct answers is sometimes limited, so one needs to be aware up front of what Duo expects which often means trial and error.
All in all I find myself repeating each legendary test up to four times before I pass. And the next lesson of the same skill will produce a new set of sentences. It seems like the course has a sheer endless list of complex sentences. I wonder if anybody else had a similar experience, or is simply my italian so bad ☹.
By the way I am still working with the tree version of Duolingo where the legendary quizzes contain only sentences from one skill. I wonder how these tests look like on the “path” where legendary tests comprise up to five old skills. It must be a nightmare.

GrahamW
Canada

Re: EN -> IT legendary levels

Post by GrahamW »

[mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] Italian was the first language that I used Duolingo for, and it's still my favorite tree, as it had just the right mix of grammatical elements and vocabulary for me in a relatively concise (66 Skills) tree (compared to now-interminable trees like French and Spanish). I think it's my only language in which the tree was never updated, but personally I was glad about that. It's now been over 3 years since I tackled any of the last 31 Skills, but my recollection is similar to yours in that I found the sentences there quite complex and unforgiving.
What's worse is that I'd left those Skills at Crown Level 4, intending to go back and work my way through them if I ever had the need. However, Duo decided to set the whole new Path to complete for me, so that my opportunity for structured revision has gone.
What's even worse is that when I now do a "Practice To Earn Hearts" (which is all I'm doing now, as it seems to be the only place to practice without getting dinged for hearts), I get some sentences using features from those Skills. Oh well :-(

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

Marghvran

Post by Marghvran »

PtolemysXX wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:09 pm

By comparing a couple of language courses (all from English) I got an impression that italian legendary tests are extremely tough. Every lesson serves me a batch of new sentences that I have never seen before. In the advanced skills there are many very long sentences and a lot of idiomatic expressions. On top of that the pool of correct answers is sometimes limited, so one needs to be aware up front of what Duo expects which often means trial and error.
All in all I find myself repeating each legendary test up to four times before I pass. And the next lesson of the same skill will produce a new set of sentences. It seems like the course has a sheer endless list of complex sentences. I wonder if anybody else had a similar experience, or is simply my italian so bad ☹.
By the way I am still working with the tree version of Duolingo where the legendary quizzes contain only sentences from one skill. I wonder how these tests look like on the “path” where legendary tests comprise up to five old skills. It must be a nightmare.

Yes, nightmare is correct. I have had the same experience with the new "path". At the more advanced levels of a language there are usually several ways of translating an expression. If Duolingo arbitrarily insists on one and you choose another you fail to gain the point. Originally it was possible to learn from your mistakes by noting Duolingo's preferred translation. But now a different set of questions comes up each time you repeat the same test. So it's a gambling game with the odds stacked against the player. The temptation is to keep on gambling in the hope of getting lucky.

I'm now on my 6th attempt to finish just one Legendary Level test. I repeat the same Legendary Level test daily to find out if there is any limit to the number of questions which will appear. So far I've been asked 79 different questions! At present I get the impression that I'm playing against a bot which will generate an infinite number of questions and arbitrarily reject an infinite number of correct answers. Naturally I would like to carry on for eternity and I'm sure Duolingo's advertisers would like this. But eventually I may have to give up and go back to learning Italian.

Last edited by Marghvran on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Marghvran wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:31 pm

(...)
But now a different set of questions comes up each time you repeat the same test. (...)

That's exactly my impression. Today I took a couple of more legendary lessons out of the skills where I already had one lesson done. In the new set of questions there were maybe 2-3 that I had seen before but the rest was brand new and tricky.

Marghvran wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:31 pm

At present I get the impression that I'm playing against a bot which will generate an infinite number of questions and arbitrarily reject an infinite number of correct answers.

I wanted once to test out of level 4 to level 5 in one of the skills in the fourth section. The artificial intelligence behind the scene would wait with the toughest sentence as the last one of the batch, and as I finally arrived there with the last heart left that sentence would knock me out. It happened four or five times, same scenario, until I eventually gave up and did all lessons of the skill (it was a lengthy one) in a regular way....

Return to “Italian”