Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Russian or Ukrainian - how to tell some differences

Moderator: HeyMarlana

Stasia
Poland

Re: Russian or Ukrainian - how to tell some differences

Post by Stasia »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:24 am

@Stasia How interesting! I didn't know I was speaking pidgin. Is it pidgin Germanic or pidgin French? [Today "pidgin English" is used in the Pacific region.]I know the French took over England at one point and made everyone speak the language so it had a great effect on English. Then I think they changed the vowels after that, once the English got rid of the French.

A pidgin is a mixture of two languages, so the most proper way to talk about it is by mentioning both source languages. "Pidgin English" is a mixture of English with native languages of the Pacific, you just don't mention the other languages because of the status difference (English considered a higher status language, while native languages have been discouraged as lower status).

English vowels... don't even get me started on that! While grammar is easy (as it is often the case with pidgins), you make up for that with your vowels! :lol:

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Stasia[/mention] Some of those lower status languages are actually quite amazing in structure and so forth. They are far more intricate and unique than English, obviously since English is a pidgin.

Are the most common words in Russian, Ukrainian? Or some other language?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:15 am

[mention]Stasia[/mention] Some of those lower status languages are actually quite amazing in structure and so forth. They are far more intricate and unique than English, obviously since English is a pidgin.

English is not a pidgin sensu stricto, because it's a native language for half a billion people.
Old English, perhaps, was—as a mean of communication between Germanic-speaking peasants and French-speaking nobility, but inside either group people spoke their own language. When it became a native language, spoken by children, it could be classified as a creole. But it was several hundreds years ago, since then English developed into a language on its own right.

Please clarify your question

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Interesting! So English has evolved from a pidgin into a full fledged language. It has the ability to describe things in precise detail in flowery language. No doubt Russian is also such a language. Somehow, I think of a language as something that has one particular source. But this shows there are all sorts of languages.

Quote from Wikipedia article>

Pidgins may start out as or become trade languages, such as Tok Pisin. Trade languages can eventually evolve into fully developed languages in their own right such as Swahili, distinct from the languages they were originally influenced by. Trade languages and pidgins can also influence an established language's vernacular, especially amongst people who are directly involved in a trade where that pidgin is commonly used, which can alternatively result in a regional dialect being developed.

Please clarify your question

Well common words like bread, milk, house, woman etc..

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:28 am

Interesting! So English has evolved from a pidgin into a full fledged language. It has the ability to describe things in precise detail in flowery language. No doubt Russian is also such a language. Somehow, I think of a language as something that has one particular source. But this shows there are all sorts of languages.

Russian is not a pidgin or creole, because its grammar isn't so much simplified in comparison with it's parent Ruthenian (that's the word I lacked in some of my previous posts), it just adopted some vocabulary and grammatic constructs (very few) from the aboriginal Ugro-Finnic tribes and Mongol invaders.

Well common words like bread, milk, house, woman etc..

Swadesh list shows barely 10 non direct cognates out of 207 between Russian and Ukrainian, but about 30 identical words.
However, internet is full of examples of ridiculous Google translations, --- edit by mod ---

Last edited by Basler Biker on Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: irrelevant subclause - be sure to keep this site political neutral please.
Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

How Different Are Russian and Ukrainian???

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Couldn't read the topic from the start, sorry if I repeat something, but of course both language are quite different.

For the little that I know, the same vowel in Russian, can be pronounced different ways according to place in a word amongst other letters. Whereas in Kazakh, vowels sound always the same, so said my correspondent there.

So I just installed the Russian and Kazakh voices for Microsoft's TTS reader function, so I could listen to some of these Eastern (European/Asian) languages..

And when occasionally I hear Ukrainian, it does not sound like Russian to my Belgian ears unfamiliar with languages from those regions.

Also tried to use this (new) (free with a length restriction to 50 characters) TTS site:
Alice (Yandex Assistant)
https://sozder.kz/

The list of voices you can choose from is amazingly long. Worth testing it, it's free and you can download the generated audio in mp3 format to be used for any purpose .... should be largely sufficient to link audio to your private or even public vocabulary.

BB

Last edited by Basler Biker on Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: there was a wrong link to Yandex - sorry.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

@Basler Biker You're right, Ukrainian vowels sound different from Russian, as well as some consonants; moreover, some combinations in Ukrainian are next to impossible to pronouce correctly for most Russians, esp. ж/ч/ц/ш + і/ю/я

Return to “Ukrainian”