Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Word lists

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

Corinnebelle

Word lists

Post by Corinnebelle »

Is there any chance of contacting fierycat about having some of these posts copied?

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/31074292

DaKanga carried on the good work as some of the trees were updated since fierycat's time:

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/52540199

I am hoping she will post some stuff here, or allow us to copy some of her posts also.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 114

Re: Word lists

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Here is another post by DaKanga that I would like to have saved.

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/52524569

Here it is : viewtopic.php?t=110
It is a bit rough and ready at the moment.
I will double back and link things up in a neater way.
But - I just have to keep capturing for the moment.
If you could live with that for the moment, It would be appreciated.

Oso-the-Bear

Post by Oso-the-Bear »

I also was curious about having some posts "archived;" I see some people doing that in the Spanish forum but I don't know how if I can do it myself or how to go about submitting a request if necessary. I guess right now....

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I love your new profile Oso! I think there is process to convert them if you look at the coding post in troubleshooting. If it's your own post it comes through pretty good because you have the code already. There are two codes I understand on here so far. BBcode, and markdown code which I think Duolingo uses.

Are people just copying other people's stuff or is that copyright infringement?

If we do copy it, what credit do we give them?

Edit: Markdown code doesn't translate over directly for headings.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Fiery cat unfortunately has not kept these posts up to date with new course role outs.

Is there any particular reason why these now more historic posts will be useful ?

Or is it some sort of formatting preference that makes them more versatile ?

I with you greatly valued the work of Fiery cat !

edited to add: the word lists that I produced were the updated ones, and Fiery cat was thankful also for those lists.

And I am going to port those updated lists here.
And endeavour, after the forum lock down, to see if I can keep them updated (Duolingo permitting).

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

daKanga Good to see you here! Welcome! :D

The Hebrew word list is very useful for me in spite of its age. I don't believe there has been an update since then for the tree. It's useful for legendary to check I know all the words before I legendair a skill. I imagine there are other minor trees that also would benefit from their words list being added to Duome.

I suppose I could make my own Duolingo schools if it is not added.

Duome said we could share things, I'm just not sure how to go about sharing someone else's work. Am I copyright infringing? That's why I ask. On the other hand if we are just mirroring articles it might be okay. I just don't feel good about taking someone's work without their permission.

If you copy your own work, this site now has markdown code extension so everything comes out perfectly.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

This one also would be good to archive.

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/55659010

I don't have too much faith as to its absolute accuracy but its compiled by the numbers we have.

I know and have even met jzsuzsi, and they have even stayed at my place when on a visit to down under. They are one VERY SMART and tuned in cookie.
And that post is only 2 weeks old.
I would put my trust in it.
And I am sure, if you give a little bit of time, jzsuzsi will port that here themselves most likely.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Corinnebelle, it is also good to see you here !

I will priority earmark the last updated list that I have easy access to for Hebrew.

I agree, these lists can be very useful !

And let me know if you notice differences and wish the list as provided by Fiery cat, and I will see what I can do there as well - if it is needed.

Though I would prefer to try to keep the updated lists from here on in.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Ok, great! It was my understanding when making the word lists you just used linked to fierycat's lists for trees that hadn't been changed. If you have an updated version since then for Hebrew, that would be great. The only addition we have had to the Hebrew course in years is the characters. Whether words were added to list there I'm not sure, because they do teach some words in the characters. Would have to check Duolingo schools for that.

duome

Post by duome »

I don't know if these lists are identical, but duome automatically collects all words from each course and each skill (evertything reported by duolingo api).
It's laid out diffrently, but we can always tweak the appearance and/or provide even more features.

This is what I have for Hebrew: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/he/skills
For Japanese there would be voice samples: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/ja/skills
Sometimes there would be parts of speech noted: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/it/skills
Sometimes there would be transcriptions and translations on hover: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/ru/skills

If you remove /skills, it would be an alphabetized list across all skills with an option to filter by parts of speech.

Either way you can type type the word to filter by the letters you typed, be it the beginning or ending, or any other part of the word.

dlhgl
Germany

Post by dlhgl »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:03 am

Is there any chance of contacting fierycat about having some of these posts copied?

You can find FieryCat's word lists on GitHub (forum comment):

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

duome wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:13 am

I don't know if these lists are identical, but duome automatically collects all words from each course and each skill (everything reported by duolingo api).
It's laid out diffrently, but we can always tweak the appearance and/or provide even more features.

This is what I have for Hebrew: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/he/skills
For Japanese there would be voice samples: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/ja/skills
Sometimes there would be parts of speech noted: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/it/skills
Sometimes there would be transcriptions and translations on hover: https://duome.eu/vocabulary/en/ru/skills

If you remove /skills, it would be an alphabetized list across all skills with an option to filter by parts of speech.

Either way you can type type the word to filter by the letters you typed, be it the beginning or ending, or any other part of the word.

I'm sure this a good resource or part of one. Unfortunately the resource is incomplete for Hebrew. The ability to filter things is nice. I do like having the skills in order to see what I've learned so far. Thanks for the tip!

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I hear your call.

I will now take some time out and post the more complex link/tables posts.
And comment here when I have done.

Any of my work is very welcomed to be copied.
Though I need to try to help make the job as easy as possible for others.

And I can do this.

Keep the questions rolling.

And .... fingers crossed - we will get through this as best we can - and especially as we are choosing to be a community.

Thanks for all you Corinnebelle, and all of YOU others as well.

Lets see if I can start knocking this one out now, as there is interest in this. Watch this space, and I will report back.

Jenga218
Australia

Post by Jenga218 »

Oso-the-Bear wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:32 pm

I also was curious about having some posts "archived;" I see some people doing that in the Spanish forum but I don't know how if I can do it myself or how to go about submitting a request if necessary. I guess right now....

I'm just diving right in and doing it. There's so little time and so many useful posts to 'save' we just need to pick somewhere to start and...start I think.
I'm not exactly getting permission, but I'm doing my best to credit the original poster as best I can under the time frames.

🇨🇦 🇦🇺 Native
:fr: - Upper Intermediate | 🇮🇱 Beginner | 🇪🇸 Beginner (inactive)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Here is the commencement of this update for Hebrew.
viewtopic.php?t=109

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

My dear and admired Oso,

If you can have a go at saving things yourself, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

We can mop up things also at a later date.

If it is a post by myself, or by TinyDynamicDuo, it is probably easier if you flag it to be recovered, as ... well I have access to those posts I have made. Which makes it quicker, I would suggest.

However there is much more than this that I so hope we don't lose.

I hope you will be able to put yourself in this space and be able to assist.

And keep asking questions.

It is so WONDERFUL to have you on board !

Oso-the-Bear

Post by Oso-the-Bear »

Thanks corrinbelle! I understood not a word of what you said but you directed me to this post viewtopic.php?t=22 and it looks like jenga218 left some very clear instructions so I'll give it a shot

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jenga218 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:24 am
Oso-the-Bear wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:32 pm

I'm just diving right in and doing it. There's so little time and so many useful posts to 'save' we just need to pick somewhere to start and...start I think.
I'm not exactly getting permission, but I'm doing my best to credit the original poster as best I can under the time frames.

I'm thinking to put a note on posts copied from other people that says something like this, "This post is archived from Duolingo, due to the forum closing, if this is your post and you would like it removed or wish to post it yourself, or would like part of it redacted please contact me immediately." I hope that will be enough. At least I will feel better copying other people's work that way.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Oso-the-Bear wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:38 pm

Thanks corrinbelle! I understood not a word of what you said but you directed me to this post viewtopic.php?t=22 and it looks like jenga218 left some very clear instructions so I'll give it a shot

You're welcome Osso! :D Yes, others are better pros at this than me!

Return to “Requests new Duome features”